• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Twisted Sisters trip end of August.

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
So since I finally got a bike I can ride more than an hour comfortably, I am planning to make a trip from Katy to ride the Sisters.
I have several days to choose from at the end of August, and was planning maybe a Monday Aug 24 - Wed Aug 26 trip to miss the weekend crowds.
Plan on taking the scenic route from Katy (ie no highway, Katy, Bellville, La Grange, Bastrop, San Marcos, and end up in the Kerrville, Comfort area) on the first day and explore a little (39 and 1340 outside of Hunt look interesting), then on the second day do the Sisters and whatever other roads that are interesting out there, as well as visit the Lone Star Motorcycle museum (if open). Spend another night then ride home a different way than I came (maybe back roads, maybe just I-10 if I am tired).

I came across this thread with some good info, but with this going to be my first "long" trip (I have done a few 2-3 hr local rides, but nothing over night), just looking for some tips. I had thought of staying in a hotel 1 night then camping the other night maybe at Lost Maples, but realized I don't have any camping gear small enough to put in/on the bike, so for now will be 2 nights at a hotel. Just something cheap where I can sleep and not worry about the bike being messed with.

There is a possibility of one of my coworkers coming with me on his GL1800, he is checking his calander. He has ridden the roads there several times, and if he goes, will be my guide.
Won't know for another 2 weeks about that. Either way I am going and looking forward to it.

Just looking for any suggestions on places to stay, eat, sights to see and particular roads to ride, and any other info.

Thanks

From Katy, all back roads to Austin, 359 to Racer's Road(1458 to Old Sealy Rd in San Felipe), west through Sealy to Lone Oak through Fayetteville (1094, 109, 1291), stay on north side of the lake (159) on backroads (2981) through Winchester (153 (Murphy's Steakhouse)). From Austin 2222 to Lime Creek Road then 1431 to Marble Falls. Head south (281), come through Sandy(1323) and ride Willow City Loop. Spend night at Sunset Inn in Fredericksberg, it's clean and cheap.
Head south on 16 to 337, then west to the Sisters. Could spend night in Uvalde or figure out your way home from there.
Stay hydrated.

Ima gonna be at Bombshells in Katy Sat around 11am for a Holden meetup to show off the White Lion. Drop by.

Nathan, are you up for some company? I have been looking for something towards the end of August. I can't tell you how many times I have been up from the Houston area. I am guessing 30 to 40 times (some of the routes below). I may also have a recommendation for where to stay that will be EXTREMELY inexpensive.
_ufmIax8pMXSPk47w_sYzeiFWw=w987-h455-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
Mon to Wednesday I'd be interested if I could tag along. I've never been down there. Of course for me it depends on level of risk with this virus. Motels/restaraunts bother me. I know I'm a wimp!!!!

Instead of going across through New Braunfels (toward the lake) or San Marcos, as the traffic can be thick, consider a less crowded route cutting across from Lockhart through Kyle, Wimberley, Blanco to take the back road to Kendalia, Sisterdale, Comfort, etc. and on out to visit the Sisters.

The suggestion to go through Austin and pick up Lime Creek Rd. and then on out to ride the Willow City loop might be worth the hassle of Austin traffic if you can sneak through the Silicon Gulch outside of rush hour.

Nice stretch of highway off of 32 coming out of san marcos, 473.
Runs from 32 to 281 litttle dog leg on 281 then sisterdale kendalia and finally comfort

For your first overnighter, go ahead and do motel stays. It just helps take one variable out of the equation.
During this pandemic response, you should make reservations rather than picking a place spontaneously.

... as well as visit the Lone Star Motorcycle museum (if open)...

Last I heard the proprietor was of ill health. So, unfortunately, I believe they are only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Ima gonna be at Bombshells in Katy Sat around 11am for a Holden meetup to show off the White Lion. Drop by.
I am working today, otherwise I would come by and see.
Mon to Wednesday I'd be interested if I could tag along. I've never been down there. Of course for me it depends on level of risk with this virus. Motels/restaraunts bother me. I know I'm a wimp!!!!
Nathan, are you up for some company? I have been looking for something towards the end of August. ...
I am in for anyone else that wants to come or meet there.
Not trying to organize anything, just something I have wanted to do for a while and know there are quite a few experienced people here that have ridden/live near the area (as evidenced by the responses) and could give me insite.

I figured a weekday would be a better time, I have seen some pics of weekend traffic with the can-ams and such, and don't want to deal with that.

I am working today, otherwise I would come by and see.

I am in for anyone else that wants to come or meet there.
Not trying to organize anything, just something I have wanted to do for a while and know there are quite a few experienced people here that have ridden/live near the area (as evidenced by the responses) and could give me insite.

I figured a weekday would be a better time, I have seen some pics of weekend traffic with the can-ams and such, and don't want to deal with that.

Nolan (don't call me Nathan, I am so sorry!!!), I am trying to make sure my calendar is clear for those dates. If I understand, you are talking about arriving Monday night (8/24) and leaving Thursday (8/27) morning?

It was going to be 2 nights but maybe 3, just depends on weather, how I feel and what there is to do.
I have the whole week off, so it is pretty open.
Again, this is a "seat of the pants" type thing with no solid plans at the moment.
If others want to join and have ideas, I am open to it for sure.

Last edited:
Nathan, are you up for some company? I have been looking for something towards the end of August. I can't tell you how many times I have been up from the Houston area. I am guessing 30 to 40 times (some of the routes below). I may also have a recommendation for where to stay that will be EXTREMELY inexpensive.
View attachment 268664

Take Joe up on this. :thumb:

Days Inn Kerrville is $54/night. We’ve never had an issue with security there. Rooms are clean, c-store next door. Food within walking distance....Mexican with a full bar. More food just down the street within a 2-3 minute ride.

I'm here now. All seems fine. Lots of take out and people wearing masks everywhere.

Mary's Tacos in Kerrville has really good breakfast tacos.

River Trail Cottages are kinda cool to stay in. Not cheap, but each cottage is separated from the other with independent air conditioning in each. No shared air like in hotels. And right on the river with good walking options nearby.

It's my Tiger 900 Rally Pro

I'd say let's go ride tomorrow but I've gotta head home in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vec
Those photos of River Trail cottages look spectacular. Will have to head down that way sometime when it's a bit cooler (not a huge fan of the heat - I try to do 60-90 minute rides from here in SW Austin and call it good).

The pics above are saweet, and the tacos look good too! Looking to go on a trip to the sisters myself, if I end up able to hit the road I'll message. Haven't been very far on my MT-09 just yet.

hit me up I’m always down for a ride, One of my customers just bought a new R6 not long ago and had

never been on the sisters and I took him around the loops on the 23rd of last month

Attachments

• A359260B-9BF8-43FC-B41D-6678EE47DECA.jpeg
    A359260B-9BF8-43FC-B41D-6678EE47DECA.jpeg
    687.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 52205E69-C4D3-4F11-9723-7A566EA9AD3F.jpeg
    52205E69-C4D3-4F11-9723-7A566EA9AD3F.jpeg
    641.8 KB · Views: 209
  • B84934DE-1137-4C2B-964F-B6849C5D4D5D.jpeg
    B84934DE-1137-4C2B-964F-B6849C5D4D5D.jpeg
    624 KB · Views: 213
  • 338B9F74-A329-4576-A436-3122C306F34E.jpeg
    338B9F74-A329-4576-A436-3122C306F34E.jpeg
    317.2 KB · Views: 204
  • 68774B2E-A257-426A-822D-0B349E96B1D8.png
    68774B2E-A257-426A-822D-0B349E96B1D8.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 203
Nolan and I had a good time out at the sisters last week. Although it was hotter than hades, as the day wore on, the mornings were very comfortable. Some gravel on 335 and 336 throttled the amount of fun we could have there, but not significantly. They have done some work on the Willow City Loop both on and off the road, it will be a good ride this spring. We rode around Skyline Drive in Comfort too, and the views were awesome as usual.

Breakfast is mandatory!
GjYxQR43ARJJTgCvXDaZuiBOUA=w847-h635-no?authuser=0.jpg

Overlooking Willow City Loop valley
NvB17MD0ZvYOr52c1iAcfvdVKg=w847-h635-no?authuser=0.jpg

The mandatory Luckenbach photo
dYQu3_cLwSRotMA1X8T_XVgIyw=w847-h635-no?authuser=0.jpg

We rode until 2pm or so each day, then we took a siesta. In this heat, I think our neighbors to the south have it right. Garmin routes added below.

Attachments

• 2020August.gdb
    474.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Back