• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Twisty roads!--in the Panhandle??

C

cruisin

Yeppers; this is for those of you who haven't ventured to the far side, otherwise known as the Texas Panhandle. Maybe also for those who have been there but not taken the time to get off the slab. look around, stop and smell the roses (or Yucca) and see what's really here.

Since one picture is worth a thousand words, I'll just stop with that and give you the link to my day ride May 12, 2007 over on the Chromeheads forum.

enjoy-then come see us :rider:

nice pics! I think you may documented every curve in the panhandle. I have relatives in the Earth/Springlake area.
Do you know anything about the tract of land bound by 287 on the north and 207 on the west? Poking around on Google maps shows a big piece of land there with no paved roads through it and one small park in the middle called Mitchell Park.

Nicely done, Kevin.....I tell folks all the time that I-40 is NOT the panhandle ;-)
Let's just not let the secret out too much. I like the lack of traffic and people too!!

nice pics! I think you may documented every curve in the panhandle. . . .

Well--not quite, but I did cover a good number of them. :trust: Actually there are lots more if you know where to look as Valker and I do. In fact, I landed a contract with Mad Maps last fall to ride, plot and document interesting routes in the Panhandle. They should be publishing those some time this spring or summer--watch for it and pick up a copy.

. . . I have relatives in the Earth/Springlake area. . . .

Small world then; my oldest brother taught and coached in the Springlake/Earth schools back in the late 70s.

. . . Do you know anything about the tract of land bound by 287 on the north and 207 on the west? Poking around on Google maps shows a big piece of land there with no paved roads through it and one small park in the middle called Mitchell Park.
That land is mostly private farms and ranches with very few pave roads.

Nicely done, Kevin.....I tell folks all the time that I-40 is NOT the panhandle
Let's just not let the secret out too much. I like the lack of traffic and people too!!

Not to worry, Eric, most folks will get a taste of our normal 35mph winds and decide it's not for them anyway; unless of course they hit it lucky and get here on one of the five days a year it doesn't blow. :mrgreen:

I see how ya are, have a ride and dont invite anybody...:duck:

:rolleyes: sorry, sometimes these rides pop up as spur of the moment deals. This one just happened because the SO's plans changed, which changed my plan at the last minute to allow for an all-day cruise around the neighborhood.

It sure is beautiful county up there, when you get a little rain. No traffic like Dallas, Houston and now Austin. Those are really great pictures. Maybe you could post a route through the Panhandle so we all could find some of those twisty roads.

I don't think I have that exact route plotted in Streets & Trips yet but will do that soon. And I don't want to infringe on my contract with Mad Maps by posting those that they are planning to publish. I will share the one from the 12th though as soon as I can get it plotted.

Here ya go!

Attachments

• May 12 2007.jpg
    May 12 2007.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 129
The latest issue of Roadrunner (at least the one I just pulled out of the mailing packaging) has an article on Texas Panhandle riding...

The 24 years I lived up there, I don't remember it being that pretty.
Great pictures.

Thanks for the route, I think I will ride part of it on my way to Colorado and the other part on the way back. Yea, I was born in Pampa and all my relatives live in Wheeler or Mobetie, and I don't remember it being that green. The only curves I remember were on section line roads where they made the corrections.

Last edited:
Bo-the Pampa area has had 11 inches of rain so far this year...as you remember, that is nearly our normal yearly total. Plenty green this year so far.

rickmillertx said, "The 24 years I lived up there, I don't remember it being that pretty."

That's why I decided to take some time to seize the moment and shoot some pcitures; it may not be this pretty again for another 24 years. :mrgreen:

bowillyard said, "The only curves I remember were on section line roads where they made the corrections."

If you zoom in with Google Maps, or MS Streets & Trips or similar program and look for these small roads 2277, 1547, 283, 689, 656, 657, 256, etc. you will be pleasantly surprised by the number of twisty roads here with good pavement and little to no traffic. :rider:

Back