• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Two VStroms - Colorado Loop

Excellent as always! Thanks for the pictures Tim. Smart move trailering the first leg.

Enjoyed the ride report Tim. Thanks for the heads up on the construction. Now going to look over my route to be prepared for delays. It'll be my first trip out west next week so will get a baptism by fire (TX/NM heat) both ways. Taking the low clockwise road to Midland, Carlsbad, Cloudcroft, Chama, Santa Fe, Bloomfield, Durango, Ouray, Black Canyon, Basalt, Gunnison and back thru Amarillo (from Palo Duro visit).

Greg, Durango is an easy approach from any other direction. Up through Bloomfield from the south, or over Wolf Creek Pass from the east. And Durango to Ouray is simply an easier drive than Ouray to Durango - because the OTHER guy has the dropoffs on HIS side of the road. Makes all the difference. You've chosen a great route. Just be prepared to sit a while on Hwy 50, somewhere east of Black Canyon.

Enjoyed the ride report Tim. Thanks for the heads up on the construction. Now going to look over my route to be prepared for delays. It'll be my first trip out west next week so will get a baptism by fire (TX/NM heat) both ways. Taking the low clockwise road to Midland, Carlsbad, Cloudcroft, Chama, Santa Fe, Bloomfield, Durango, Ouray, Black Canyon, Basalt, Gunnison and back thru Amarillo (from Palo Duro visit).

Been there done that plenty. I suggest an cooling vest and a massive Camelback system. The worst part is not the heat but the wind. My trick was to leave around 3-4 am so you can make decent distance before late afternoon when it gets really warm.

RB

Tim: absolutely fantastic report and pictures! Thanks for sharing. As a kid I camped in Salida/Gunnison area with a buddy above timberline.

Greg, Durango is an easy approach from any other direction. Up through Bloomfield from the south, or over Wolf Creek Pass from the east. And Durango to Ouray is simply an easier drive than Ouray to Durango - because the OTHER guy has the dropoffs on HIS side of the road. Makes all the difference. You've chosen a great route. Just be prepared to sit a while on Hwy 50, somewhere east of Black Canyon.

Did you do the canyon? The pictures are so beautiful of the mesa verde. It must be breath taking in person. Drew

Drew - Do you mean the Black Canyon? Not this year. Just jetted by. We were on a bit of a timeline because we were meeting up with friends down in Durango.

Mesa Verde is a really neat place. Hot too, by the way. If memory serves, it is the only National Park built around manmade artifacts as opposed to natural phenomena. Definitely work seeing. And considering the usual price of getting into a national park, this one's a bargain. If you're 62 and have your parks pass, it's free!!!

Drew - Do you mean the Black Canyon? Not this year. Just jetted by. We were on a bit of a timeline because we were meeting up with friends down in Durango.

Mesa Verde is a really neat place. Hot too, by the way. If memory serves, it is the only National Park built around manmade artifacts as opposed to natural phenomena. Definitely work seeing. And considering the usual price of getting into a national park, this one's a bargain. If you're 62 and have your parks pass, it's free!!!

Yes Black Canyon. We caged it there just last year and it was so nice. Did some exploring and took a few snaps hanging over the edge.:help: Better half just had knee surgery so we skipped the mesa but will not next time. Really enjoyed all the pictures you let us view from the trip. Not 62 yet but feel 80 at times,does that count! Drew

Great report and pictures, Tim, as usual. I'm just now getting to this because I was a Royal Family Kids' Camp last week, sweating buckets each day and being envious.

Looks like a great trip. You were in some of my favorite places, except for Mesa Verde. Three times we've tried to get there, and three times we've experienced some sort of minor tragedy. I finally got the message. :lol2:

For anyone who wants to spend time in Raton, look into the NRA Whittington Center. We've stayed there several times in one of the youth camp cabins, and they're cheap and clean, perfect for riders. And it's cool to shoot skeet with antelope watching you.

Looks like a great trip. You were in some of my favorite places, except for Mesa Verde. Three times we've tried to get there, and three times we've experienced some sort of minor tragedy. I finally got the message. :lol2:

Did any of those minor tragedies happen to involve my camping trailer? :mrgreen:

Been to all of those places on various trips. Towed an xl-185 to Red River, Navajo Lake, Mesa Verde, Four Corners, North Rim, Zion, Bryce, Salt Lake and back.

Been to Mesa Verde 3 or 4 times. Every time I've met German tourists there. Many where German Air Force traveling to see Die Indianer Felsenwohnung after flight training in El Paso. Was stationed in Germany for 32 months and 17/18 days.

I hope to do it on a real motorcycle soon!

Good pics and post! :rider:

Rob, I always run into a lot of Germans out west. Those guys love to travel. This was my first couple on Harleys, though.

Tim, enjoyed the report and will have to do those roads on a bike. Independence was great in a pick up, but would be bunches better on bike or hack.

I just spent 4 days in little Colorado, you know that state just north east of here. Humidity was up but the trees covering the roads sure helps.

Tim, enjoyed the report and will have to do those roads on a bike. Independence was great in a pick up, but would be bunches better on bike or hack.

In a hack???? Maybe if you're the driver. If you're the passenger.... :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Oh why not? The chair can always be flown over the edge if the bike gets too close.:trust:;-)

I can see that happening,550 is not for the people afraid of heights or nice long drop offs. Even in a car the road can get some people needing a cold one to survive.:chug:

Back