• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs - NOW WITH DIRT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacman

Die with memories, not dreams.
Forum Supporter
Your summer gear might have come with liners as well. Look for those and bring them if you have them.

The NC700X has a Frunk right? Take that instead and we'll convert the frunk into a burn pit. Easy peasy, you're warm and we can all sit around your bike at night. :rofl:

SIDEWINDERS WILL BE THERE!
grimsweeper earlier posted 1 or 2 plus him. Now we have me, grimsweeper, and 2 others! We have our rooms and will be at Swiss Village Wed afternoon.

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
Hit this link for nav files in a variety of formats.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1R1taCc7bLc4Mem_tX6i4euW-liVVuW_a

No guarantees on how these will work with your nav system. I highly recommend trying them out before we're ready to hit the road.

These tracks were built in Furkot and are optimized for the Android app CoPilot. If anyone has the opportunity to try the Garmin and/or TomTom files and report your results, that would super cool. No idea if any of the formats are supported by Magellan. Anyone know?

Last thing, I might tweak these tracks a bit here and there, but nothing too drastic. If I make a major change I'll post an updated file.

See y'all soon!

Garmin tracks downloaded. Looks good! Thank you for putting this together.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I don't have any motorcycle specific cold weather gear which means I'll probably be over packing for this one.
:tab You need something that will block the wind. At those temps, a simple sweat shirt under your regular jacket will keep you warm as long as you can stop the wind. I used to wear a wind breaker over a mesh jacket years ago. That would keep me warm down into the 40s. It kept the wind off my skin and the mesh jacked made a nice insulating air barrier between the wind breaker and my skin. Water proof gloves would be nice. Even in the 60s, if it gets wet, your hands can get very cold (even with heated grips).

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab I don't know if it has been mentioned, but some remote gas stations don't take credit cards and/or may not have premium grade gas. So you may want to have cash. If you are worried about the gas, maybe carry a bottle of that octane booster stuff. Most stations have 87 minimum.

:tab You need something that will block the wind. At those temps, a simple sweat shirt under your regular jacket will keep you warm as long as you can stop the wind. I used to wear a wind breaker over a mesh jacket years ago. That would keep me warm down into the 40s. It kept the wind off my skin and the mesh jacked made a nice insulating air barrier between the wind breaker and my skin. Water proof gloves would be nice. Even in the 60s, if it gets wet, your hands can get very cold (even with heated grips).
In a pinch I've used newspapers under my jacket in front of my chest.

A rain suit jacket does wonders

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Forum Supporter
MacDaddy suggested a rain suit, it just showed up today, so I threw it in the pack.

I'm planning on doing the dirt ride Friday if it makes.

Otherwise, just going to follow whoever is leading one.

pacman

Forum Supporter
I'd like to on Friday too. I was able to load Mike's gps tracks to basecamp and the Garmin fine but I'm lost on Pacman's.
If you're using a Garmin device I'm afraid Im not much help. I did notice that Furkot gave me 2 different files for Garmin, one for newer devices, and the other is older devices I presume.

Has anyone else atteempted to load any of my tracks on a Garmin device?

pacman

Forum Supporter
Furkot has the option to download Tracks and Routes in the Garmin formats. The ones that I linked are Routes. If anyone thinks the Track option will work better let me know and I'll add them.

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Peelin out...

Met these two guys at the ferry... Brian & Pineapple..Ended up ridin with them from Peel up to Licking before they hedded north to Sullivan. They were aiming for Wisconsin
We did stop in Cabool for lunch at L A Cafe
The beans n cornbread special was pretty good....at the time!

Cant load pics
No Verizon cell here in Eminence

Last edited:

FCBH

Forum Supporter
Howdy,

I rode the budget Fazer into the area today. The temperature was perfect in the low 80s today. It won't stay there for long. :)

- Washburn to Jane on #90 was excellent with ample flipping back and forth on the turns.

- Conoco in Eureka Springs has ethanol free premium gasoline

Seya,

RB

---

Barn crazy in Arkansas

The Razorback Riviera

Sampled the other Route 66

Last edited:

pacman

Forum Supporter
I've updated the GPS files with tracks instead of routes. For those who had trouble with the earlier versions, give these a shot instead.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R1taCc7bLc4Mem_tX6i4euW-liVVuW_a

If anyone would like to give CoPilot a shot, I'm happy to walk you through loading a track into the app.

We can also work on it at the hotel Wednesday night, just make sure you download the app and the map from home or somewhere with good Wifi. The map is over 2 GB and would take hours or days to download at the hotel.

To do it you'll need the following:

-Android phone running 4.1 and up, with at least 2.5 GB available storage
(Cellular service not necessary, just needs WiFi and GPS/location capabilities. Cellular is needed only if you want to get real time traffic updates)

-CoPilot app - free

-North America or USA map downloaded through the CoPilot app (I think it costs about $10, but includes lifetime updates)

-file manager app - free

Last edited:

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
If you're using a Garmin device I'm afraid Im not much help. I did notice that Furkot gave me 2 different files for Garmin, one for newer devices, and the other is older devices I presume.

Has anyone else atteempted to load any of my tracks on a Garmin device?
I downloaded the GPX files and they imported into Basecamp just fine.

As of now, I have them downloaded but they're not importing to base camp. Something I'll worry about tonight but the problem is now on my end. If I don't have any luck then maybe someone has them loaded on a Montana and I can just transfer them onto mine. That's a pretty nice feature of those units.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
As of now, I have them downloaded but they're not importing to base camp. Something I'll worry about tonight but the problem is now on my end. If I don't have any luck then maybe someone has them loaded on a Montana and I can just transfer them onto mine. That's a pretty nice feature of those units.
I used the links for the icons on the left side of the page in Pacman's link.

I won't have his loaded though as I have created a different set of routes. There are some roads I want to do with my son that are not on his routes. Also, all of my routes are a mix of street/dirt and run anywhere from 350-300 miles per day. There is a good bit of overlap between his and mine, so we might run into folks along the way here and there.

pacman

Forum Supporter
Holy cow I didn't think the rain would ever stop today. I was worried I would be loading the bike at 0-dark:thirty tomorrow morning.

Thankfully we finally got a break.

See everyone tomorrow!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Weather still shows to be nice Thursday and Friday with a chance of rain on Saturday. However, given the massive rains moving through the area today and tonight, I suspect all the water crossings will be high and fast! We may be doing a bit more street than originally planned if things are too sloppy. That's okay though as the paved stuff up there is still a blast!

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Thanks Scott for the files!!!

Mr2mch, is that banjo music I hear in the background?
Yes. This is rz500rich replying for mr2mch who has passed into slumberland... it's actually Jan Banjovi...lol. "ozark bootlegs live recording". Your quite the dtextive. I'll notify your chief promptly for a promotion!.... p.s. mr2mch has nothing to do with this post.... c-ya

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
Theyre in Eminence... Shady Lane Cabins & Motel
cabin was $85 full service (7 cabins)
Me n RZ500rich split it
Not quite as nice as the cabin at Big Cedar where MacDaddy n I stayed last year...but a nice place on the edge of town...& several restaurants nearby.
TONS of roads...nice.... river canoes... horses

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.