• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs - NOW WITH DIRT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After googling the K-Trail I would say there are some small sections on my Tracks that are just as challenging

I guess I can always turn around.

Not riding down the side of rock cliffs on the big bike anymore.

I should have some road routes posted this weekend.

As before we will try to divide up into groups or 4 or 5 riders, based on desired pace.

I will lead or ride in a moderate pace group. Devient_Artist set a very nice pace in this group last year. If you were in that group it will be very similar.

As always, what ever group you choose to ride with, ride your own ride! If you feel pressure to try harder to keep up with the group, you probably need to slow down. Don't worry about the group, we will wait at all turns and course changes. We all value lives and safety more than we value keeping to a pace or schedule.

The Butler maps Ive been selling for a few years expand on those recommendations...highlighting the best sections with yellow... Red on the stuff thats still almost as fun/scenic... & orange for the sections not quite as entertaining...

The Butler Maps are an excellent resource. I would bring along several dozen maps as you will probably sell your entire inventory to not only TWTEX members but other nearby riders staying at the motel as well.

RB

Well..I would..but I only keep a couple of those in stock now. Jus sell em here n there. Sales have really slowed down... I think folks are gradually goin electronic.
Even Butler has the Rever app for maps now. But I'll have an option for folks who need it...just ask

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I prefer maps for trip planning or discussing a route with a group of riders. Paper maps are a quick way to find an alternative route instead of having to Charlie Daniel fiddle with the GPS.

...no batteries required.

:rider:

RB

I just booked the last room with a single queen bed. They still have the jacuzzi room with a king bed and a smoking room with two queens.

Plan to be there Wednesday evening. I'll have my son, Daniel, with me (12 yrs old). He'll be riding two up with me on the GS.

I just booked the last room with a single queen bed. They still have the jacuzzi room with a king bed and a smoking room with two queens.

Plan to be there Wednesday evening. I'll have my son, Daniel, with me (12 yrs old). He'll be riding two up with me on the GS.

Great news! Looking forward to seeing you and your son.

:eat:

Friday evening dinner plans are finalized. We only do one organized meal during this rally, and this is it.

It's become something of a tradition to dine on fine German food at The Bavarian Inn Restaurant. We'll continue that tradition this year.

Where:
The Bavarian Inn Restaurant
325 W Van Buren, Eureka Springs, AR 72632
https://goo.gl/maps/uXJsyc8XZ232

When:
Friday, October 12, 7:00pm

Important information needed from everyone:

Are you planning on having the duck??

The Roast Duck is a specialty at Bavarian Restaurant, and is very good. Please review the menu and let me know in the next couple of days if you would like to order either the 1/4 roast duck, or the 1/2 roast duck (the 1/2 duck is not on the menu, but available. If you want a whole duck, order 2 ;) ). They only roast a certain number each day and need to know so they don't run out.

PLEASE RESPOND EITHER IN THIS THREAD OR VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE DIRECTLY TO ME.

http://restaurant.eurekaspringsinn.com/dinner-menu/

I will have my Expedition there and can provide transportation to and from the restaurant, and can make multiple runs if necessary.

Last edited:
For those still on the fence about attending, please go back to the first page and read the post about lodging.

When I called earlier today, there were no double queen rooms available, except for one, and that was a smoking room :puke: The room I got was a single queen. The only other room was the more expensive jacuzzi room with a king bed. So unless they have some cancellations between now and Wednesday, it will be slim pickings!

Not too shabby!
8d3786c679a290135ce93d171c3ebdfb.jpg

Last edited:
I've been keeping a close eye on it too.

Looking good today. Going to be cool in the mornings.

Anyone thinking about riding to/from at this point?
I plan to ride to Eureka Springs from Dallas on Wednesday, stopping at Queen Wilhelmina SP for lunch around 12:30-1PM. If anyone would like to meet there for lunch, please PM me.

I attached an overview of the route I plan to take; the slab part from Dallas to Atoka, OK is dull, but the rest of it is mostly good, especially the Talimena Scenic Byway and the Pig Trail.
867934039dc08d95572a3941c51a2cbd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good route. I'm considering breaking it up. Maybe staying in Mena Wednesday night.

Is everyone showing up Wednesday? Or are most arriving on Thursday?

:tab Some of my most memorable rides have been rides in the rain, several in Arkansas. Unless the lightning is coming down left and right, there is hail, and/or tornadoes... I like riding in the rain, but that time where we had all the above was a bit on the "exciting" side of things! :eek2: Even the stray dog that was hiding under cover with us was not impressed :whatever:

:tab Riding in the rain is all about being smoooooooth. I also like the way everything looks. That said, if it does rain and you find yourself on AR 74 heading toward AR 23 South of Huntsville, BE CAREFUL!! There is a timber mill a few miles before you reach 23 and they spray that weather treatment stuff on the giant piles of wood with huge sprinklers. It gets on the road. It is super slick when it gets wet!!

I just let my room go (Fri. 1:30pm 10/5). I'll be bunking with Rsquared since his BIL had to cancel.

My room was a single queen, no smoking. Total with tax for all four nights was only $269 and some change.

That said, if it does rain and you find yourself on AR 74 heading toward AR 23 South of Huntsville, BE CAREFUL!! There is a timber mill a few miles before you reach 23 and they spray that weather treatment stuff on the giant piles of wood with huge sprinklers. It gets on the road. It is super slick when it gets wet!!

Thanks. I suspect I'll be through there at some point.

The weather looks outstanding for Fall in the Ozarks. I'm "in". Riding up since I don't know any better. Bottom will hurt. It's 581 miles (ten hours w/o stops) going through the Metroplex which I'm not. Going around to the west and North of DFW because the place has a great potential to harm me.

Put me down for 1/4 of a duck.

Our route this Sunday heads from Waco ta Fairfield (the direct 84/73/171/27 way)... then 84/79 to Palestine where we hit the first "more interesting" road...FM315 up to 31 just west of Tyler..looping around north to FM14 & FM2869 to Winnsboro ...then 37 from there across into OK on 98 to Idabel
Then its US259 up to the Talimena Skyway & over into AR near Mena
Of course...we're not hedded to Eureka yet...so it'll be an easterly run toward Russelville to cross the river...or...if enuff time up to Mt Magazine & cross at Clarksville for that epic stretch of 123 toward Yellville.....hopefully?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

The weather looks outstanding for Fall in the Ozarks. I'm "in". Riding up since I don't know any better. Bottom will hurt. It's 581 miles (ten hours w/o stops) going through the Metroplex which I'm not. Going around to the west and North of DFW because the place has a great potential to harm me.

Put me down for 1/4 of a duck.
Thanks Zephyr, I got you down.

Listen up folks, I need to know if you're ordering duck. I'll be calling Bavarian tomorrow to give them a final duck-count.

Quack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back