• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Arkansas/Missouri Fall Rally 9/22 - 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
pacman and i are going up friday moring so if anyone in dfw area wants in let us know thanks and we will see you guys there
mark

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
Mark, I also plan to leave out of the Dallas area Friday morning and would like to follow along.

Where and what time do you plan to meet up?

Do you have a route yet?

Thanks,

pacman

Die with memories, not dreams.
Forum Supporter
V2 Roger said:
Mark, I also plan to leave out of the Dallas area Friday morning and would like to follow along.

Where and what time do you plan to meet up?

Do you have a route yet?

Thanks,
I proposed to Mark that we meet at this location. Sorry, don't know the name of the gas station, only where it is. Corner of 75 and 380 (W University DR) in McKinney.

If everyone is in agreement with location, I'll see you all there at 8:00am. We are stands up from south Ft Worth at 6:30 am, so I think we can be there by 8. Whaddya think?

Also, shaftdrivesix and I were leaning toward more of a slab route to ensure arrival at ESprings before dark. If anyone feels then need to hit the twisties on the way up, don't let us hold you back. I fully understand the need, but those critters darting across the roads after dark put a little fear in me.

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Almost forgot. Everyone should bring a clear visor!!! You do not want to be caught out after dark with the tinted visor on those roads...

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
I would stay on 540 to Rogers and then head East on US 62. It is a hair longer but still quicker. Only about the last 30 miles are twisty. If you cut off 540 as shown, you spend more time on twisty stuff.

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
pacman1 said:
I proposed to Mark that we meet at this location. Sorry, don't know the name of the gas station, only where it is. Corner of 75 and 380 (W University DR) in McKinney.

If everyone is in agreement with location, I'll see you all there at 8:00am. We are stands up from south Ft Worth at 6:30 am, so I think we can be there by 8. Whaddya think?

Also, shaftdrivesix and I were leaning toward more of a slab route to ensure arrival at ESprings before dark. If anyone feels then need to hit the twisties on the way up, don't let us hold you back. I fully understand the need, but those critters darting across the roads after dark put a little fear in me.
That sounds good to me. I'm not real familar with the area, so about how long will it take me to get from Arlington to McKinney? Would I-30 to 75 be my best choice?

Thanks,

st1100 said:
pacman and i are going up friday moring so if anyone in dfw area wants in let us know thanks and we will see you guys there
mark
I would LOVE to leave Friday morning, but my wife is too conscientious (tough spell, that word) and won't blow off work. We will be REALLY late if it's raining.

FYI, we're testing bike-to-bike radios just after dark last night and I got happy and rolled on the throttle a little bit, just in time to pass between two deer!! We're both screaming "DEER" :eek2: into a simplex radio, so that didn't do much.

Thank you, Lord, for that warning shot across my bow. Like I said, we'll be REALLY late.

got my T-shirt last night and it looks good.

I thought you were going to add a line on the back that said: "FJR's rule and all others drool" for me?

BTW - have we made up the T-shirts for those people who are not actually riding their bikes up there?

Something like "I trailered my bike to a motorcycle rally" and "My other bike on the trailer is a H-D".... LOL

pacman

Forum Supporter
Tourmeister said:
I would stay on 540 to Rogers and then head East on US 62. It is a hair longer but still quicker. Only about the last 30 miles are twisty. If you cut off 540 as shown, you spend more time on twisty stuff.
Thanks for the tip.:thumb:

pacman

Forum Supporter
V2 Roger said:
That sounds good to me. I'm not real familar with the area, so about how long will it take me to get from Arlington to McKinney? Would I-30 to 75 be my best choice?

Thanks,
That would be the most direct route. Just keep in mind that this will take you through an extremely heavy traffic area in the heart of rush hour.

Also, watch the transition from I30 to 75. There's no direct connection between the 2. I30 will dump you onto I35 north for about half a mile, then you hang a right onto Wodall Rogers, which is a very short freeway (only about 1 mile) that connects you to 75. IIRC correctly, Woodall Rogers is NOT labeled. The sign just says something like "To 75". Crazy.:doh:

Any Dallas folks who can confirm/correct the above statement?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
If you are going up US 69, when you get near Atoka WATCH YOUR SPEED! This area is usually crawling with LEO. I have literally seen 8-9 units pulling people over within the stretch of a mile. Especially watch your speed going through the town as the speed zones change down to the 30 mph limit.

I'm out. Newly painted parts will not be done in time. I HAD A ROOM RESERVED SO THERE IS NOW ANOTHER ONE OPEN. This Bites !!!
Now THIS is a naked Fizzy!

Doh! Sorry you can't make it Randall. Painted?...what's that?-

I guess my estimation for attrition is busted.
I figured we'd drop 3-4 riders. This puts us near the low 20's in numbers?... I think?

Matt is there an offical list somewhwere? Not sure if the one on the front page is what you're keeping up with.

Dang, sorry to hear that, FZ1Nutt.

Texian said:
Matt is there an offical list somewhwere? Not sure if the one on the front page is what you're keeping up with.
There is, and it is. I'm counting 25 right now - That's an estimate since I don't know how many "buddies" are in the Buzz + Buddies (hehe, Buzz 'n' Buddies) group. If you're a definite participant, and you're not on the list, lemme know. If you're on the list and you are not going, lemme know.

I'm working on making the route sheets now. They're gonna be in b&w 8.5 x 11.

Tourmeister said:
If you are going up US 69, when you get near Atoka WATCH YOUR SPEED! This area is usually crawling with LEO. I have literally seen 8-9 units pulling people over within the stretch of a mile. Especially watch your speed going through the town as the speed zones change down to the 30 mph limit.
There's a 25mph sign hidden somewhere in Stringtown. I sure didn't see it, but that didn't help me. So, if you get off 69 there to head over to the Talimena, or are planning to pass through there on your way back, slow down. It's a speed trap in every sense of the word. Just raking in the dollars.

I wish all you guys a safe and fun trip!!! It bums me out so bad that we won't be able to attend. And then to add insult to injury the shirts arrived yesterday and look awesome, and yet we still won't be able to go.:miffed:

But anyway, you guys take lots of pics and we look forward to hearing some really good stories when you return.

Be safe,
Bill

pacman

Forum Supporter
st1100 said:
mark
Here's the group meeting in McKinney Friday morning. See earlier post for the exact location. (Did anyone figure out if it's a Chevron or something else?)

st1100
pacman1
V2 Roger
shaft drive six

Did I miss anybody?

Roger, you sounded like a definate with your last post. Should we expect to see you in McKinney Friday morning?

I'm still planning on leaving Ft Worth at 6:30, to arrive at the gas station in McKinney at 7:45 or 8:00.

I'll be heading out on the Strom about 8 am tomorrow (Thur) morning...weather permitting... it's supposed to be raining.:-?

I just want to wish everyone a safe (and ticket free) trip up. Once again, if anybody will be getting there Thursday, be sure to look me up and maybe we can scout out the area on Friday.

Take care everybody!

-Jon-

Rsquared

Un-Supervised Slacker
Forum Supporter
pacman1 said:
Here's the group meeting in McKinney Friday morning. See earlier post for the exact location. (Did anyone figure out if it's a Chevron or something else?)

st1100
pacman1
V2 Roger
shaft drive six

Did I miss anybody?

Roger, you sounded like a definate with your last post. Should we expect to see you in McKinney Friday morning?

I'm still planning on leaving Ft Worth at 6:30, to arrive at the gas station in McKinney at 7:45 or 8:00.
I'll see you there.

There is, and it is. I'm counting 25 right now - That's an estimate since I don't know how many "buddies" are in the Buzz + Buddies (hehe, Buzz 'n' Buddies) group. If you're a definite participant, and you're not on the list, lemme know. If you're on the list and you are not going, lemme know.

I'm working on making the route sheets now. They're gonna be in b&w 8.5 x 11.[/QUOTE]

Buzz & Buddies are OUT! Buddies have decided that the only date everybody can go on a 7 day Blue Ridge Parkway/West Virginia trip is the first week of October. I was going to come alone; so I asked my wife if she had a problem with me being gone for two weeks in a row. "No, it sounds like fun. Go, go go and have fun with your Texas friends." We might need to start a thread on "how wives can say one thing and mean something entirely different". After 20 years, I know she did NOT mean "Go and have fun".:angryfire

I haven't given up. I'm going for the "don't mention it and act happy " approach. She might see the error of her ways, and beg me to go:hack:

Any suggestions from you ladies would be appreciated. No males need reply!:help:

Check the players list - lemme know what is incorrect. I don't need confirmation of what's right, just errors.

THE PLAYERS:

Definite

scratch Paul Speed Triple
STrider Matt Sprint ST
Chatterbox Cindy Bandit1200
TheBigSpankDaddy Chris GPZ11

vfrhugh Hugh VFR

leeroy Kieth (bevo) VFR

Eulogite Alan DL1000K5
Eulowife Debbie Ninja 250
FJRMike Mike FJR

Texian Mark RC51
Redd Sarah SV650/Monster 620
Thermalser Stuart FZ1
V2Roger Roger FZ1
pacman1 Wes ZRX1100
Jon The Buddha ?? V-Strom 650

?? Larry CBR929

FJRTX Donnie FJR
?? Peter GS1150

st1100 Mark FZ1
Tourmeister Scott KLR
rocketbunny Becca 1200ST NOT a trailer queen

Maybe

shaft drive six ?? GL1800 Silent Rider
hcope1 Buzz GS1150

THE ROUTES

Whosoever has the interest and technology to turn the routes post into a gps file, go for it, and post 'em up. I have neither.

Last edited:
I hope all the Thursday-leavers arrived in the early afternoon. There was a line of nasty t-storms with large hail just move across eastern OK. Saturday could be damp in the Ozarks.

Deb and I are shaking out some new equipment on a 10-day tour this coming week. We're pointing at Alaska next summer. I think I have the carrying capacity; will post a pic tomorrow of the loaded bikes. Stroms rule. Gold Wings ain't got jack on this luggage. :-P Well, except lighted makeup mirrors.

Also, did y'all get RIDE TEXAS this month. I had already seen the featured bike at Action Suzuki. I handed it to Deb and said "here's your next bike". She called Greenville Kawasaki today and is working a deal for the Ninja 650R when we get home. 3k miles on the EX 250 next week will probably solidify that deal.

pacman

Forum Supporter
The bike's packed and ready to go. Now if I could just force myself to fall asleep.:yawn::zen::yawn:

I bet I sleep tomorrow night. hehe

Just talked to some of the gang. It was hail on a tin roof tonight--literally.

But you know, they were having a ball. I just hope somebody in ES sells Balvanie Doublewood and good cigars. Otherwise it may get ugly.

The weather radar looked nasty on the news tonight. I hope everyone made it there safely. The weekend looks good, though I'd wait until later on Monday to make my return to the SE Texas. Hoping to hear nothing but glowing ride reports.

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
DFW_Warrior said:
Well, anyone make it back alive? Come on folks, let us know how it was.
I'm pretty sure today was still a full riding day up in AR. They should be heading back tomorrow, I guess.

Can't wait to hear all the stories!

pacman

Forum Supporter
Just rolled into Burleson and holy cow my butt is sore! I made the trip up there and back with Don (shaft drive six), and we covered about 1500 miles for the weekend. I'll get the exact total from him later tonight. I had a great time, learned a lot, stayed safe, and met lots of great folk. I'll put pics up in the ride report section when someone starts the thread.

made the ride back Monday with Roger - we left at 0730 and rode down HW 23 to HW 71 to Texarkana and then he went to Dallas and I went to Houston and was home at 7:25 pm. We rode in cold fog for about 50 miles the first 100 miles of the trip home.

It was a 660 mile trip home on Monday - the FJR performed FLAWLESSLY and while I was getting somewhat tired when I got home it was not like I was beat up or sorry I did the ride.

I ended up with 1710 miles for the weekend and I am ****** glad I went.

I did, however, have a "moment" about 15 miles south of E.S. on Monday morning - below is what I posted on the FJR forum.
Mike

just got back from riding the Eureka Springs area and +100 to THIS ----

"As one of the pseudo-organizers I feel it incumbent to mention that AR roads are tricky and can be technical. There are lots of decreasing radius turns, accurately-marked curve speeds after a series of under-posted curve speeds (good luck guessing which is which), quick elevation drops right when you need max traction, gravel, cow ****, tractors, Maw and Paw and any number of other things right out of sight that makes out-riding your site distance very risky. Even those familiar with a specific road can be surprised by something unexpected right around the curve."

There are LOTS of decreasing radius turns on these roads.

I left E.S. Monday morning and was riding HW 23 south at a 55-60 mph pace and came up a hill and around a right hand corner and when I crested the hill there was an T intersection coming from my right. The driver of the flat bed truck had pulled out and was turning left towards me and I came around the corner and there was an entire road full of truck in front of me!!

I got on the brakes HARD and the back slid out some but let off (non ABS) and managed to haul it down to a stop about five feet from the back axle of the truck. I had time for emergency avoidance around the back but could see I was going to get stopped in time. I now have a crowned spot on my bike saddle from that "pucker" moment.

The other rider said it was exciting to watch from 100 yards back. Yeah......exciting......yeah, that's what it was..

Good thing I was alert and watching for that very thing as I had noticed the T intersection sign.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.