• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Arkansas/Missouri Fall Rally 9/22 - 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are too many great roads in Ark. But one that I must mention is Hwy 123 from Western Grove to Hagerville. It really is an awesome little road.

Missouri Route:

To: Eagle Rock, MO US
To: Jenkins, MO US (MO 160 :thumb: )
To: Gainesville, MO US
To: Almartha, MO US
To: Gentryville, MO US
To: Sparta, MO US (MO 125 :thumb::thumb::thumb:)
To: Peel, AR US
To: Carr Lane, MO US
To: Eureka Springs, AR US

361 Miles

moroutebiggerwg8.gif

Arkansas Route:

To: Western Grove, AR US
To: Mount Judea, AR US
To: Hagerville Mountain, AR US
To: Fallsville, AR US
To: Deer, AR US
To: Jasper, AR US
To: Yellville, AR US
To: Sycamore, AR US
To: Eureka Springs, AR US

330 miles

arroutebiggerbx2.gif

Last edited:
Chatterbox (1) XL and (1) XXL -- Need Money & Address
DFW_Warrior - (1) Sm and (1) XL
Eulogite - (1) XL
FJRMike - (1) M
fz1nutt - (1) XL
Jon the Buddha - (1) XL
Kocook - (1) L -- Need Address
db - (1) M and (1) XL
STRider - (1) XL
Thermalser - (1) L

Wow... I am really starting to wonder if I am ready for this!

My riding experience is strictly commuting. I bet I have never gone more than 30 miles without reaching my destination. This will also be my first group-type ride. :oops:

I bought my current bike so I could start doing some touring, but I have yet to do one. I have no qualms about my ride up to Eureka Springs, but now that I see the distances that will be covered each day we are there, I wonder if this is a little much for my level. I also envisioned this to be a much smaller gathering, giving me a better chance to get good advice and mentoring from those I would be riding with.

Someone tell me it will be OK! I was/am REALLY looking forward to this trip to gain some valuable experience, but the number of people and distances involved are making me question if this is a good idea at the moment. Some advice from experienced riders would be appreciated! PM if you would rather.

P.S....
Don't worry Pacman...I'm not trying to abandon you just yet! ;-)

Sorry I'll miss this, but not by much. I'll be with the IBMWR group and will be there this same weekend, at the Holiday Swiss. So if there's some overflow from the OTHER swiss motel, I just made reservations at the holiday swiss for $59/night so some are still available there, 888 582-2220, you need to mention IBMWR for those rates.

If anyones doing some dualsport, in the area I may be up for that.
Make sure you wave as you drive by!

Best,

Jon The Buddha said:
Wow... I am really starting to wonder if I am ready for this!

My riding experience is strictly commuting. I bet I have never gone more than 30 miles without reaching my destination. This will also be my first group-type ride. :oops:

I bought my current bike so I could start doing some touring, but I have yet to do one. I have no qualms about my ride up to Eureka Springs, but now that I see the distances that will be covered each day we are there, I wonder if this is a little much for my level. I also envisioned this to be a much smaller gathering, giving me a better chance to get good advice and mentoring from those I would be riding with.

Someone tell me it will be OK! I was/am REALLY looking forward to this trip to gain some valuable experience, but the number of people and distances involved are making me question if this is a good idea at the moment. Some advice from experienced riders would be appreciated! PM if you would rather.

P.S....
Don't worry Pacman...I'm not trying to abandon you just yet! ;-)

My guess is that the ride leaders will split the group into several smaller groups based on experience/skill level, with an experienced leader for each group. Each group will also have a sweep rider to make sure no one gets separated. Read Scotts posts regarding ride rules and protocols and it should make feel a little more comfortable.
Above all, don't feel like you have to ride a certain pace just because the group is. Ride YOUR pace and enjoy the ride. The sweeper will always be behind you to keep the group together. Also, the leaders will always wait at course changes to make sure everyone knows where to turn.
Now whether your butt can handle the seat time is a question only you can answer. I highly recommend biker (bicycle) shorts with gel padding in the crotch and butt, and/or a gel pad for your seat. Some folks swear by the wooden bead seat covers. I'm not sure how those could possibly be comfortable, but supossedly they are. Lotsa folks replace the seats with Corbin seats or some other aftermarket brand. I personally hate Corbin. They hurt me worse than stock seats, and their customer service sucks. I have yet to try a Seargent, but I hear they are VERY comfortable. Wish I could afford one before this ride.
Hopefully this makes you feel a little better.

Jon, you will be fine.

:tab Remember, don't worry about keeping up. The group should wait for you at every turn! If they don't, firmly remind them that they should ;-)

:tab Slow in, fast out!! That will save your bacon. If you are unsure about corner speed, ALWAYS err on the side of too slow. Once you can see through the corners, THEN accelerate out. Doing this one thing will make a tremendous difference in your comfort level. Do some googling on Delayed Apexing. That is another invaluable technique, one I use ALL the time.

:tab The curves there are much better than what we have here. Remember that where you are looking is crucial. ALWAYS keep your head and eyes up, looking ahead through the corners.

:tab If you are in a corner and feel like you are going to fast, DO NOT STAND UP THE BIKE! DO NOT CHOP THE THROTTLE! Just start chanting, out loud if you like, "Look, lean believe!" Stay ON the gas, at least holding it constant, and lean into the corner. 99% of the time, the bike WILL be able to make the corner.

:tab If you feel tense, flap your elbows like you are doing the Funky Chicken and take some long deep breaths. This will really help you relax. You want to have a light grip on the bars, not a death grip.

:tab On past rides, I had someone else lead the fast guys and I stayed back to lead the slower and less experienced riders. Over the course of a 400 mile day, we arrived back at the hotel about an hour after they did, and that only because we jusssst missed the ferry on Hwy 125 and had to wait about 40 minutes for it to come back for us.

:tab Riding in Arkansas is all about rythm. Don't slam on the brakes going into corners and then blast out like a missle. Smooth is the name of the game. Get yourself a comfortable pace and go with it. If you find your heart beat creeping up or your adrenaline pumping, SLOW DOWN! If you have any "scare" moments, SLOW DOWN! I cannot stress this enough.

:tab As for the distance thing, you will be sore. If you are not used to riding 300-400 miles a day, by the end of the day your concentration will begin to drop off. Your muscles will be tired. It really helps to do some stretching. Whenever the group stops, spend just a minute or two stretching and walking around. Be sure to stay hydrated as well, not just with water, but something like Gatorade. This makes a BIG difference towards the end of the day. It does not matter if it is not hot out either. A camel-bak is good because it lets you drink small amounts frequently as opposed to large amounts all at once. Chugging large amounts at a stop does not good because your body cannot absorb it all. I think the average person can take in about 8 oz every 15-20 minutes. Drink more than that and it just passes through the system and makes you have to whiz a lot. Lastly, I would take 800mg of Ibuprofen with dinner the night BEFORE the first day of riding, and again at breakfast the day of the ride. Then at lunch and dinner, and the remaining days of riding, I would take a normal dose (400mg). This really helps with the sore joints and stiffness.

:tab For you guys that are the ride leaders. As the day wears on, people will be getting tired and their concentration will fall off. I see this on every ride. People will start making stupid mistakes. You need to drop the pace down accordingly. Even a drop of about 5mph can make a big difference. Watch for this!

I rode in Arkansas when I had only 6 months of riding under my belt. I was nervous and excited all at the same time. Scott was VERY patient with me and it was basically a 3-day riding lesson with him.

The roads up there helped me become more relaxed on my bike and I started to feel like I was "in the groove". Just go into it as a learning experience and you'll be fine. The group that's going is a great one.

I need to get back up there with my Strom. I know it would be advantageous for me, it's just tough to work out the logistics.

Tourmeister said:
As for the distance thing, you will be sore. If you are not used to riding 300-400 miles a day, by the end of the day your concentration will begin to drop off. Your muscles will be tired. It really helps to do some stretching. Whenever the group stops, spend just a minute or two stretching and walking around. Be sure to stay hydrated as well, not just with water, but something like Gatorade. This makes a BIG difference towards the end of the day. It does not matter if it is not hot out either. A camel-bak is good because it lets you drink small amounts frequently as opposed to large amounts all at once. Chugging large amounts at a stop does not good because your body cannot absorb it all. I think the average person can take in about 8 oz every 15-20 minutes. Drink more than that and it just passes through the system and makes you have to whiz a lot. Lastly, I would take 800mg of Ibuprofen with dinner the night BEFORE the first day of riding, and again at breakfast the day of the ride. Then at lunch and dinner, and the remaining days of riding, I would take a normal dose (400mg). This really helps with the sore joints and stiffness.

Thanks TM...that's the stuff I was talking about.

I wasn't really worried about my riding ablity, just my endurance and my inexperience with group riding. This ain't my first bike, but it is a new bike and my first "dual-sport". I don't want to get in over my head and do something stupid due to being saddle-worn.

Thanks for all the encourgement...I'll be there! Besides, I got about $800 worth of Givi goodies due off the UPS truck tomorrow (FARKLE!!). Doesn't that stuff automatically make you a better rider?? :trust: :trust:

Thanks also to Pac and Squeaky!

I can't wait to see your stuff, Jon. I've definitely overfarkled the budget for this trip.

I also brought some Icy Hot patches with me - needed them on my calves after the first day to keep from cramping up.

Jon The Buddha said:
Thanks TM...that's the stuff I was talking about.

I wasn't really worried about my riding ablity, just my endurance and my inexperience with group riding. This ain't my first bike, but it is a new bike and my first "dual-sport". I don't want to get in over my head and do something stupid due to being saddle-worn.

Thanks for all the encourgement...I'll be there! Besides, I got about $800 worth of Givi goodies due off the UPS truck tomorrow (FARKLE!!). Doesn't that stuff automatically make you a better rider?? :trust: :trust:

Thanks also to Pac and Squeaky!

No problem, dude. Sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to you. I think I misunderstood main gist of you post. Looking forward to the journey!:rider::rider:

Now who can tell me how to safetly strap a case of Shiner Bock to the back of ZRX? I have a promise to Jon to keep.:lol2:

pacman1 said:
No problem, dude. Sorry if it sounded like I was talking down to you. I think I misunderstood main gist of you post. Looking forward to the journey!:rider::rider:

Now who can tell me how to safetly strap a case of Shiner Bock to the back of ZRX? I have a promise to Jon to keep.:lol2:

Nah man, I in no way thought you were talking down to me!

You are right, though in that I do need to remember to ride my own ride. I don't think I would push the limits on purpose, but I imagine in the excitement of the ride and watching everybody else it could probably happen without realizing it.

Just remember...as my roomie, YOU are responsible for my actions! :thumb: (speaking of which... I better get busy coming up with an answer to your second question :party: )

Everybody -

There's not a lot more to be said that TM didn't cover but:

The ride leaders (who have yet to positively identify themselves - which I'm thinking is gonna make me one) WILL keep their group together.

If it's just kocook (hey kent - did you notice thermalser volunteered you?) and myself as leaders (we both have sweepers), Kent will take the High Tolerance group, I will take the Reasonable - Medium Tolerance group.

One may notice that this situation still leaves two large groups. Or one medium large, and one medium small, or, well you get the picture. The point is, smaller groups more readily lend themselves to greater tolerance disparity, as there is less separation between the leader and the sweeper. So if you have 5 or 6 people you definitely want to ride with, there's your group. Thanks for being a ride leader.

IMPORTANT NOTE: There are no "fast" and "slow" groups. Everybody's ability is equal. It is only risk tolerance that differs. Therefore, there is NO SHAME in assigning oneself to the Reasonable Tolerance group. If a person is being held up, or "pushing", or passing the leader in the Reasonable Tolerance group, they will be immediately demoted to the High Tolerance group. BUT: DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF to be "pushed" by the person behind you. It is THEIR responsibility to pass when it is safe, or sit back there and like it. It is YOUR responsibility to ride within your abilities, and the double yellow line. If you go over the double yellow - YOU ARE OVER YOUR HEAD! Back it off. To nick it is one thing. To blow it, repeatedly, is another. (okay, got a little preachy there. sorry.)

There are always portions/ persons within groups that have higher or lower tolerances. Groups tend to filter out/ organize according to tolerance level. Tolerance levels can shift too - day to day, road to road, mile to mile. If you feel your tolerance decreasing, let folks pass till you're feeling brave again.

As for the mileage - It can be a long day, particularly if you're not used to it. You can, of course, cut the ride short, but be absolutely sure that the ride leader knows you are doing so. A lot of the time though, the most direct route back is the one we'll be on.

A Word Of Caution:

- Like TM said - the roads we will be on are NOT like TX. They will make you a better rider, and instill confidence in your abilities and machine. A great first day can make you feel like a hero. BUT: That confidence can be disastrous when starting all over on the second day - your rhythm isnt all together yet, you're still sleepy... but feeling great. Cold Tires + out of rhythm + overconfidence = OUCH. If you don't believe me, I'll tell you about the Matt shaped hole in the California desert.

- In slow, out fast. In fast, out backwards.

Better route descriptions are in work. PS - anybody is welcome to run their own routes with the group of their choice at any pace. The group I lead, if I have to, will be as described, most likely on the routes shown herein.

Last edited:
Just a little FYI, hope ya'll don't mind.:patriot:

I was in AR and MO two weeks ago and road MO 86 between MO 13 and US 65....IMO 311 from Blue Eye to Denver Road is a better route. When you get to Denver road take it over to 65. There are some VERY nice paved county roads in that area. They even have center strips on the county roads I road. 311 is nice.:sun:

A must road for the spirited type is 341 (Arkansas Gap ) between Big Flat and Salesville. There are very few driveways/cars on the southern part and it even has about a two foot shoulder on it. :dude:

123 is also a fav but there tends to be a bit of gravel in some turns. Be careful.:flip: Oh and that one lane bridge is cool too.:thumb:

Don't miss 74. :hail:

Jon The Buddha said:
Thanks for all the encourgement...I'll be there! Besides, I got about $800 worth of Givi goodies due off the UPS truck tomorrow (FARKLE!!). Doesn't that stuff automatically make you a better rider?? :trust: :trust:!

If not, I can attest that it makes for a good frame slider :-P :wary:

The 123 bridge is fixed, as of a month and a half ago.
Oh by the way Scott I now like that road on the FZ1.
It was the upright bar position that made the difference.

I found the upright position on my GS made for easier riding in the twisty stuff. The wider bars helped as well because it made steering effort almost nothing.

Matt, we need to chat about your routes :trust:

STrider said:
The ride leaders (who have yet to positively identify themselves - which I'm thinking is gonna make me one) WILL keep their group together.

If it's just kocook (hey kent - did you notice thermalser volunteered you?) and myself as leaders (we both have sweepers), Kent will take the High Tolerance group, I will take the Reasonable - Medium Tolerance group.
Matt, I'll volunteer to lead the "Reasonable" group for you. That should force me to pay attention, ride sanely and avoid a repeat of last year's little mishap. :doh: ;-)

<hi-jack warning>

I'm posting from a funky little pizzaria in Escalante, Utah right now. mhutch and I are waiting for a thunderstorm to pass so we can continue on to Cedar City. Tomorrow we hit Vegas where we'll swing by the local Triumph dealer to pick up some rear brake pads for my bike. Honest! That's ALL we're gonna do there! :trust: After that, we're turning east to take in some of the sights and roads in Arizona, New Mexico, etc.

Pictures and a report to come after we return next weekend...

<hi-jack off>

Let me see if I can get this to work right.... Here is a more detailed map of Matt's Ark route. I've got it plugged into Mapsource right now. As soon as I get the other route loaded then it will be easy to share the file with anyone that would like it.

Alright, here is the MO route that he planned out.

STrider said:
I think Therm volunteered hisself, too. How did it just become me? :eek2:

Looks like you just picked up Scratch for the other group, assuming he ever gets back. As fine as that area of the country is, he may just stay out there--especially if he meets some of the local ladies. :trust:

If he decides to go for the northern coast, that's it; we will never see him again. :zen: :rider:

So who is going to be on a DS style bike?

Also, everyone should make sure their tires are not about done. 500-600 miles of Arkansas and Missouri will use a LOT of your tire. If you are riding there and back, this is even more true. If they are even remotely questionable, I HIGHLY recommend you spoon on a new set. On the last trip out there, we had several people whose tires were completely shot midway through the second day of riding!!

Alrighty DFW folks, lets get this together. I was going to ride up with Eulogite, but he's not leaving till 1:45 or so. I want to get up there before dark, and I'd rather not ride alone. So let's get a group together, or at least a pair! Who's with me?:rider:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back