• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Arkansas/Missouri Fall Rally 9/22 - 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott - good points about the 300-350 miles per day stuff.

Most people get tired and dehydrated when on the bike and concentration goes down and accidents happen.

Why push it to get an extra 50-75 miles and make an ordeal out of a good day?

Arkansas roads require full attention and concentration when riding.

North Route (Missouri)- 333 miles
NorthRouteArkMo.gif

-Northwest out of Eureka Springs on US 62 to Gateway.
-North on AR 37 to MO 37 up to Washburn.
-West on MO 90 to Noel, first stop. Have to go through town to MO 59 and hang a right, go a few hundred yards and hang another right to stay on MO 59, there will be a decent gas station up on the right. The only other places are small with one or two pumps with no pay at the pump... SLOW.
-Backtrack MO 90 to Washburn and head South on 37 to Seligman
-MO 112 over to MO CR F, then East to MO 86
-North on MO 86 up to MO 76, 76 doglegs on MO 39 and keeps going East to Cape Fair, stop for lunch on left at stop sign. If they are not open, hang a right at the stop and follow 76 aroudn the corner and there is another cafe on the left that is good.
-Stay East on 76 to Reed Springs and start looking for gas, I think when you get on US 160 and reach US 65 there is a nice station on the Southbound feeder with lots of pay at the pumps.
-Stay 160 East to MO CR H and head North to MO 125
-Run MO 125 South to the ferry and continue AR 125 to AR 14
-West on AR 14 to Omaha at Old 65, hang a right and head to US 65 North - start looking for gas, I can't remember a specific one, but there should be something ;-) I think there is a Conoco just North of the state line?
-Continue West on MO 86 to MO CR P at Emerald Beach
-South on CR p to AR 23 back into Eureka Springs

:tab Pretty much every bit of that route is fantastic riding. There will be a bit of traffic around Branson, but that is about it. When people get back to the hotel after this route, they will be satisfied and tired ;-)

South Route - 334 miles
SouthRouteArk.gif

Okay follow me here...
-East on US 62 to Berryville and hit AR 21 South
-AR 21 South all the way to Clarksville, watch for descreasing radius curves. This is the road where {person} totalled {his bike};-)
-Gas in Clarksville. You need to hang a right on US 64 (21 dead ends here), follow this a few blocks to AR 103 South and then follow that a bit further to the freeway (I-40), there are several big name gas stations with pay at the pump.
-Backtrack up to 21 and head North out of town to AR 292 and go East, this hits AR 123.
-Run AR 23 Northeast to Hwy 7. Stop at Hanks General Store at Hwy 7/123 intersection.
-North on AR 7 a few miles and then right onto AR 123, right again shortly after that or you wind up back on AR 7 around the corner.
-Again, watch for decreasing radius corners! There are two 25mph corners back to back. The first slopes down and to the right after a fairly long straight, then goes down into a decreasing left hander. This is where {person} chucked {her bike} ;-) After that, it is pure heaven, and then some 5 mph switchbacks. This is a great road for getting action shots. People might want to make a run back and up before stopping for lunch ;-) Round trip from Mt Judea to AR 7 is about 30 miles so count on another 45 minutes to an hour for that.
-Hang a left at the stop sign where 123 and 74 meet and run into Mt Judea.
-Follow 123 North to AR 374 and go West to AR 7
-Left at AR 7 a few miles until you see the Cliff House Restaurant on the left. Biker friendly, good food. You should reach here around 1-2pm, they close at 3:00pm.
-After lunch, North on AR 7 into Jasper for gas at the Conoco on the North side of town
-AR 74 West out of town (awesome as you get closer to AR 43)
-AR 43 West (left) to Boxley and get back on AR 21 South to Hwy 16
-Run AR 16 West to AR 23, people can bug out here and head straight up 23 to Eureka if they are getting tired or it is getting late in the day, otherwise, head South on 23 to Ozark through the Pig Trail
-At Ozark, hop on I-40 and go East one exit to find gas stations with pay at the pump
-Get back on 23 and run North to Eureka Springs
-Total miles is 334 without anyone backtracking on 123 South of Mt Judea. So that should give you time to play there.
-Again, pretty much the entire route is great so folks should be whooped by the time they get back to the hotel ;-)

(THANKS TOURMEISTER!!)

These are the official final routes. If I lead, these are the routes I'm gonna use. If I don't, I'm going with whatever group is using these routes.

While the mileages look reasonable, we are still talking about pretty long days, as TM and FJRMike described. I would urge all groups to have a plan for kickstands up no later than 8:30 in order to make it home in time for dinner.

Thanks to everyone for helping with the routes. I know there are a couple favorites that are missed, but with so many great roads, we hafta miss some. 8 Days to go!! Bikes ready, I'm ready, gonna get some riding pants today (hey, its only been 12 years....) WOO HOO!!!!

Last edited:
FJRMike said:
those routes look good Matt - are you riding up and if so when are you leaving?

Those routes are entirely courtesy of Tourmeister. I would've made it a quote - but it screws up the route text.

My plan is to trailer up with scratch - with the current "low" in gas prices, I really like the idea of saving my backside (and rear tire) for the riding days. There is room on the trailer if you're interested. I still have not seen the trailer, and I have to find a hitch with appropriate size ball to borrow. Better get on that, thanks for the reminder.

If scratch is interested in riding up, we can do that.

Either way, I wanna leave early - on the road at 5:30 am or so. Leave ourselves plenty of time for breaks, food, and fuel stops, and plenty of time when we get there to relax, socialize, and plan the rides. In the truck, probably only need a couple stops. If we go on bikes, I gotta 200 mile range in the tank, but I only got a 100 mile bum.

Wow, those look to be some great routes. I want to see pics when you guys get back.

Matt, what size hitch ball are you looking for?

Red5 said:
Matt, what size hitch ball are you looking for?

None now, the trailer went away.

Here is a new, and significantly bigger problem -

Either my regulator/rectifier or stator is not working. The parts are 7-10 days out. So barring a miracle, I am OUT of this trip.

If you think I'm displeased with this development, you are correct. It is taking every molecule of restraint in my being to not break every playground rule Scott's made here, in great big red text.

STrider said:
None now, the trailer went away.

Here is a new, and significantly bigger problem -

Either my regulator/rectifier or stator is not working. The parts are 7-10 days out. So barring a miracle, I am OUT of this trip.

If you think I'm displeased with this development, you are correct. It is taking every molecule of restraint in my being to not break every playground rule Scott's made here, in great big red text.

Bring the Dualsport!

Dang, Man! Sorry to hear that!

If you still had the trailer, I would let you borrow my '05 SV650S...but you would have to come through OKC to pick it (and me) up! :-P

Borrow a bike. Always works for me...

Oh, but you have to use the "tilt head to the side, batt eyelashes" trick. Think you can handle that?

Howdy all, I haven’t been keeping up with TWTEX or any motorcycling this summer. Moving to a new house took a lot more time and effort than I anticipated. I have committed to the trip though. From browsing the thread, I gather there will be a larger group than last years trip to Mountain Home. The recent cool weather has really gotten me fired up. The VFR’s ready to go and this time it has plenty of tire left. My non-riding better half will be coming along for a little R&R in Eureka Springs. Hope to see some old friends and new faces.
Here’s hoping Matt gets the triple running,
Hugh:rider:

Hey Hugh! Got the knee patched on those pants from the last trip? :-P

The Mountain Home trip was a tour, and thus prelimited to 10 riders. Rallys don't have a limit on the number of participants.

Matt, beg, borrow, steal... whatever it takes! Maybe pester Bagwell ;-) Maybe a trip to Lone Star is in order this weekend :trust: Maybe you can ride as someone's honey :kiss: :lol2:

I found this photo tonight while looking at last years pics.
Some of you probably didn't know Matt was a stunt'a.

stunt-matt.jpg

vfrhugh said:
I found this photo tonight while looking at last years pics.
Some of you probably didn't know Matt was a stunt'a.

stunt-matt.jpg

:rofl: :rofl:

I forgot about that...

Now where is my vid of you wearing through the knee on your pants... :scratch:

Kent has had to cancel. I have room in the truck and on the trailer for another person/bike. You have to be in Huntsville by Thursday evening so we can load the bikes. We'll be leaving here 7:00amish Friday morning.

Texian, are you guys riding up or trailering? The truck can handle 5 adults very comfortably and I cen get five bikes on the trailer. So we could handle you and Sarah.

How many DS bikes are comming along? I might bring my KTM also.

Tourmeister said:
Kent has had to cancel. I have room in the truck and on the trailer for another person/bike. You have to be in Huntsville by Thursday evening so we can load the bikes. We'll be leaving here 7:00amish Friday morning.

Texian, are you guys riding up or trailering? The truck can handle 5 adults very comfortably and I cen get five bikes on the trailer. So we could handle you and Sarah.

With Kent's cancellation, I'm in need of a roommate if any one is interested.

Scott, I'll see you up there in Huntsville sometime Thursday evening.

Last edited:
STrider said:
None now, the trailer went away...
My Rocky Mountain ride pardner, mhutch, has kindly agreed to loan us his trailer, so we're back in business on that point. Now let's keep our fingers crossed that British USA gets your parts PDQ. :zen:

Matt, I'm crossing my fingers for you buddy. I hope you can make it up there.

Hugh, not sure about DS riders other than myself :shrug: Even if I do any DS riding, it will be the mild stuff, not the crazy stuff we did back in May...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back