• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Arkansas/Missouri Fall Rally 9/22 - 9/25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be heading out on the Strom about 8 am tomorrow (Thur) morning...weather permitting... it's supposed to be raining.:-?

I just want to wish everyone a safe (and ticket free) trip up. Once again, if anybody will be getting there Thursday, be sure to look me up and maybe we can scout out the area on Friday.

Take care everybody!

-Jon-

pacman1 said:
Here's the group meeting in McKinney Friday morning. See earlier post for the exact location. (Did anyone figure out if it's a Chevron or something else?)

st1100
pacman1
V2 Roger
shaft drive six

Did I miss anybody?

Roger, you sounded like a definate with your last post. Should we expect to see you in McKinney Friday morning?

I'm still planning on leaving Ft Worth at 6:30, to arrive at the gas station in McKinney at 7:45 or 8:00.

I'll see you there.

There is, and it is. I'm counting 25 right now - That's an estimate since I don't know how many "buddies" are in the Buzz + Buddies (hehe, Buzz 'n' Buddies) group. If you're a definite participant, and you're not on the list, lemme know. If you're on the list and you are not going, lemme know.

I'm working on making the route sheets now. They're gonna be in b&w 8.5 x 11.[/QUOTE]

Buzz & Buddies are OUT! Buddies have decided that the only date everybody can go on a 7 day Blue Ridge Parkway/West Virginia trip is the first week of October. I was going to come alone; so I asked my wife if she had a problem with me being gone for two weeks in a row. "No, it sounds like fun. Go, go go and have fun with your Texas friends." We might need to start a thread on "how wives can say one thing and mean something entirely different". After 20 years, I know she did NOT mean "Go and have fun".:angryfire

I haven't given up. I'm going for the "don't mention it and act happy " approach. She might see the error of her ways, and beg me to go:hack:

Any suggestions from you ladies would be appreciated. No males need reply!:help:

Well....It's 8:40 Thursday morning, and I am waiting on a break in the weather. Hope my new (Walmart) rain gear works! Winds are at about 25-30 mph sustained with gusts to about 45-50 mph. Fun! :doh:

Check the players list - lemme know what is incorrect. I don't need confirmation of what's right, just errors.

THE PLAYERS:

Definite

scratch Paul Speed Triple
STrider Matt Sprint ST
Chatterbox Cindy Bandit1200
TheBigSpankDaddy Chris GPZ11

vfrhugh Hugh VFR

leeroy Kieth (bevo) VFR

Eulogite Alan DL1000K5
Eulowife Debbie Ninja 250
FJRMike Mike FJR

Texian Mark RC51
Redd Sarah SV650/Monster 620
Thermalser Stuart FZ1
V2Roger Roger FZ1
pacman1 Wes ZRX1100
Jon The Buddha ?? V-Strom 650

?? Larry CBR929

FJRTX Donnie FJR
?? Peter GS1150

st1100 Mark FZ1
Tourmeister Scott KLR
rocketbunny Becca 1200ST NOT a trailer queen

Maybe

shaft drive six ?? GL1800 Silent Rider
hcope1 Buzz GS1150

THE ROUTES

Whosoever has the interest and technology to turn the routes post into a gps file, go for it, and post 'em up. I have neither.

Last edited:
I'M OUT.
Too much work and too much rain.
I've cancelled my room, so one is available.

I'll catch the next one.

Mitch

I hope all the Thursday-leavers arrived in the early afternoon. There was a line of nasty t-storms with large hail just move across eastern OK. Saturday could be damp in the Ozarks.

Deb and I are shaking out some new equipment on a 10-day tour this coming week. We're pointing at Alaska next summer. I think I have the carrying capacity; will post a pic tomorrow of the loaded bikes. Stroms rule. Gold Wings ain't got jack on this luggage. :-P Well, except lighted makeup mirrors.

Also, did y'all get RIDE TEXAS this month. I had already seen the featured bike at Action Suzuki. I handed it to Deb and said "here's your next bike". She called Greenville Kawasaki today and is working a deal for the Ninja 650R when we get home. 3k miles on the EX 250 next week will probably solidify that deal.

texasred said:
I'M OUT.
Too much work and too much rain.
I've cancelled my room, so one is available.

I'll catch the next one.

Mitch

That's too bad, Mitch. Was looking forward to chasing the Yamaha!

The bike's packed and ready to go. Now if I could just force myself to fall asleep.:yawn::zen::yawn:

I bet I sleep tomorrow night. hehe

Just talked to some of the gang. It was hail on a tin roof tonight--literally.

But you know, they were having a ball. I just hope somebody in ES sells Balvanie Doublewood and good cigars. Otherwise it may get ugly.

The weather radar looked nasty on the news tonight. I hope everyone made it there safely. The weekend looks good, though I'd wait until later on Monday to make my return to the SE Texas. Hoping to hear nothing but glowing ride reports.

DFW_Warrior said:
Well, anyone make it back alive? Come on folks, let us know how it was.

I'm pretty sure today was still a full riding day up in AR. They should be heading back tomorrow, I guess.

Can't wait to hear all the stories!

Just rolled into Burleson and holy cow my butt is sore! I made the trip up there and back with Don (shaft drive six), and we covered about 1500 miles for the weekend. I'll get the exact total from him later tonight. I had a great time, learned a lot, stayed safe, and met lots of great folk. I'll put pics up in the ride report section when someone starts the thread.

made the ride back Monday with Roger - we left at 0730 and rode down HW 23 to HW 71 to Texarkana and then he went to Dallas and I went to Houston and was home at 7:25 pm. We rode in cold fog for about 50 miles the first 100 miles of the trip home.

It was a 660 mile trip home on Monday - the FJR performed FLAWLESSLY and while I was getting somewhat tired when I got home it was not like I was beat up or sorry I did the ride.

I ended up with 1710 miles for the weekend and I am ****** glad I went.

I did, however, have a "moment" about 15 miles south of E.S. on Monday morning - below is what I posted on the FJR forum.
Mike

just got back from riding the Eureka Springs area and +100 to THIS ----

"As one of the pseudo-organizers I feel it incumbent to mention that AR roads are tricky and can be technical. There are lots of decreasing radius turns, accurately-marked curve speeds after a series of under-posted curve speeds (good luck guessing which is which), quick elevation drops right when you need max traction, gravel, cow ****, tractors, Maw and Paw and any number of other things right out of sight that makes out-riding your site distance very risky. Even those familiar with a specific road can be surprised by something unexpected right around the curve."

There are LOTS of decreasing radius turns on these roads.

I left E.S. Monday morning and was riding HW 23 south at a 55-60 mph pace and came up a hill and around a right hand corner and when I crested the hill there was an T intersection coming from my right. The driver of the flat bed truck had pulled out and was turning left towards me and I came around the corner and there was an entire road full of truck in front of me!!

I got on the brakes HARD and the back slid out some but let off (non ABS) and managed to haul it down to a stop about five feet from the back axle of the truck. I had time for emergency avoidance around the back but could see I was going to get stopped in time. I now have a crowned spot on my bike saddle from that "pucker" moment.

The other rider said it was exciting to watch from 100 yards back. Yeah......exciting......yeah, that's what it was..

Good thing I was alert and watching for that very thing as I had noticed the T intersection sign.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back