• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Autumn Rally, Mountain Home, Ar., Nov 1-4th, 2007

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

IF you plan to go but are not prepaying and intend to bring your paperwork with you and pay in person, PLEASE let me know so that we can keep track of attendees!

Paid Definites:

:tab ndmiller
:tab Rsquared
:tab Tourmeister
:tab Wasabi

Unpaid Definites:

:tab Hcope1
:tab VFRHugh

Maybes:

:tab Hood Ornament
:tab mnapuran
:tab mrr1150gs
:tab r1150gsrider

When: :tab November 1st -4th, 2007

:tab This is the last weekend before the time change (Nov 4th). It is likely to be cool in the mornings and evenings. The trees may be a bit past their peak colors but that is fine. Most of the hotels/resorts close down at the end of October. This makes for perfect riding because all the tourists have gone home and we'll see MUCH less traffic on the roads!

Where: :tab Mountain Home, Ar.

:tab Mountain home is ideally situated to hit some of the best roads of South Central Missouri and North Central Arkansas. Roads of particular note or this trip will include Mo/Ar 125 with the ferry ride and Push Mountain Road (Hwy 341) which is often referred to as the Arkansas Deal's Gap. The other roads are just as good, just less well known :trust:

:tab Mountain Home will be approximately another 100 miles further from DFW than Eureka Springs. If you just want to "get there," there are several options. You can run out I-30 to Little Rock, then up US 65 to AR 14, US 62, then East into town. You can also run up Hwy 75/69 into Oklahoma to I-40, cut East to I-540, run up to Fayetteville, then East on US 412 to US 62 and head East into town. If you are looking for a fun route, you can alway do the Talimena Scenic Byway to Mena, then scoot East over to Hwy 27 via US 71 and Hwy 28, then run 27 up to Marshall, 14 North to US 62, and then East on 62 into town. Awesome ride that is!! :rider:

Lodging: :tab Best Western Carriage Inn

:tab 963 Highway 62 East
:tab Mountain Home, AR, 72653
:tab (877) 425-6001 or (870) 425-6001

Ask for Kha, and let her know you are with the Two Wheeled Texans!!

:tab I have a block of 10 rooms set aside for us. You can get Kings or two Doubles. Smoking or Non-smoking.

:tab Rooms are $65.00/night + 10% tax

:tab If we book at least ten rooms, the rate drops to $52.00/night + 10% tax.

:tab There are several good places to eat, all within close walking distance. There is also plenty of room to park trailers for all the less than "real" riders among us :-P

The Daily Plan:

:tab I will likely be trailering from Hunstville and should be in Mountain Home by early evening (5:00pm or so). For anyone in this area that is interested in going up with me, the truck will hold four large adults with room to spare and the trailer can easily hold four large street bikes. Space is on a first come, first served basis. If you bail at the last minute, we will expect you to pay your portion of the diesel if we cannot find someone to take your place. For anyone else that arrives in time for dinner, we'll probably be doing a group dinner Thursday around 7:00pm.

:tab 8:30am Each morning (Friday and Saturday) there will be a pre-ride meeting in the parking lot of the Best Western. Please be gassed and ready to go BEFORE this meeting as we will be leaving immediately following its conclusion. This is when route sheets/maps will be handed out.

:tab This is NOT a guided tour. As such, if there are very many bikes, we will have to split up into groups. Trying to have 20-30 bikes in one group with me leading just does not work well. If anyone wants to volunteer to lead a group, please let me know.

:tab We will eat lunch wherever the mood hits us. Most likely, it will be between noon and 2:00pm depending on our pace and where we are at what time. So if you start having seizures at noon if you don't eat, bring a snickers or something to get you through it ;-)

:tab The routes will be around 300-350 miles each day. It will be a FULL day of riding on fairly technical roads. If all goes well, we should be back in Mountain Home each evening right around sunset (6:45pm-ish). That leaves time to freshen up and grab dinner. After that, most folks usually hang out outside the rooms or in the parking lot visiting. If you are not up for a 300-350 mile day, the routes have multiple places where they can be cut short and I will be glad to make recommendations as we go along for anyone wanting to change their plans.

:tab Anyone that rides up with me will need to help load their bikes Saturday night so that we can leave early Sunday morning for the ride back.

Rally Fee: "I have to PAY!?"

:tab Yes: One day - $20/bike Two days - $30/bike (no fee for passengers)

:tab Yes, I know you can do a trip all on your own. Before you ask, "Why should I pay you!?", let me explain. If any of you have ever taken the time to put together an event, you know it takes a good bit of time and effort. You have to answer all the SAME questions over and over, even though the answers are already right here on the page... You have to answer those deep meaning of life questions like, "Should I bring my rain gear? Will it be cold? Does my tire look like it will make it the rest of the way? Should I get gas when everyone else is getting gas? Exactly how much further is it from here to the next no name town...?" You get the point ;-)

:tab What do you get for the fee? Here is the deal. My rallies focus on two things, the riding and the people. If you want big parties, entertainment, door prizes, etc,... try another place ;-) My events are about knocking out great riding on awesome roads followed by casual dinner and then the parking lot tire kicking sessions until you feel like going to bed. I will provide routes with descriptions, recommended stops, and even lead a group of riders. There is a pre-ride meeting in the parking lot of the hotel each morning before the ride. Lastly, you get the satisfaction of knowing that the meager profit from this rally will go towards funding TWT :trust:

How to Register:

:tab You have to do THREE things.

1. Fill out the registration form and either mail it to me or bring it with you.

2. Fill out the liability waiver and either mail it to me or bring it with you.

3. Prepay (top two options) or pay me in the parking lot (CASH ONLY!).

IF you plan to go but are not prepaying and intend to bring your paperwork with you and pay in person, PLEASE let me know so that we can keep track of attendees!

Last edited:
Scott I wish that I could go. Is this going to be a yearly rally at the same time? I already made plans for that weekend to go to Hot Spring BMW rally. If I can help you to get things done please let me know. I will be there to help out for next years rally.

Ahh, already commited to a November 3rd track day. I'll have to catch the next one.:sun:

Have a great time!:rider:

That sounds like a great time, but we will be headed down to the RAT RAID in Kerrville that weekend. Take a bunch of pictures..

:tab Ryan, it is never a fixed date from year to year. Too many variables that affect the timing. Also, it is impossible to pick a weekend that does not conflict with numerous other events, particularly during the time from the start of September through about mid November.

:tab Stuart, have fun and be safe ;-)

:lol2: I am going even if I go alone... ;-)

:tab However, that was actually a tour, where you HAD to pay in advance. I've stopped doing those entirely. People refuse to commit even though they want the thing planned to the nth degree just in case they decide to go. They whine about the cost even though they will pay almost exactly the same amount to do a rally. It is FAR more work on my end for less reward. The rally just seems to work best. It allows people to be flakes right up until the last moment :-P

:tab I've added you as an "Unpaid Definite". It that correct?

I just spoke to Shannon at the Best Western, who was very nice. When she finished taking my information, she asked me in kind of a timid voice "can I ask you, what ARE the Two Wheeled Texans, are ya'll a bunch of bikers?" I tried not to laugh, and told her we were a group of responsible, lawabiding mototcyclists. I think I heard a little sigh of relief, then I added "don't worry, we'll pay for any damages." :lol2:

Yes, unpaid definite. I just printed off my forms and will mail them to you with payment.

Last edited:
Probably not. Easier to travel without the kids at this stage ;-)
When you were talking about the trip at the house, I thought Beth mentioned her & the kids being in the truck. :huh:

I'm not scheduled for vacation until two weeks later. Maybe I can make the next one.

I just spoke to Shannon at the Best Western, who was very nice. When she finished taking my information, she asked me in kind of a timid voice "can I ask you, what ARE the Two Wheeled Texans, are ya'll a bunch of bikers?" I tried not to laugh, and told her we were a group of responsible, lawabiding mototcyclists. I think I heard a little sigh of relief, then I added "don't worry, we'll pay for any damages." :lol2:

Yes, unpaid definite. I just printed off my forms and will mail them to you with payment.

:lol2:

:tab The owner is familiar with me and the groups I bring there. I have run several tours using their location as a base. They have always been very accommodating. However, I do think they might get a little worked up if we start doing burnouts and other squidliness in the parking lot :wary: they've never had a problem with us just hanging out outside the rooms, around the pool, or in the parking lot visiting. We usually take it into the rooms if we go past 10:00pm just out of courtesy to other customers.

:tab Snoopster, that must have been some other conversation... yeah... that's it... :-P I did ask if Beth wanted to set up the kids to stay with the grandparents and go with me. No definite answer on that yet ;-)

That sounds like a great time, but we will be headed down to the RAT RAID in Kerrville that weekend. Take a bunch of pictures..

I might be able to make this raid. Can you give me some details? [Please use PM so as not to clutter up this thread with details from another event ;-) - TM]

Last edited by a moderator:
Theresa, I am sure I'd have a great time running around with just the two of us ;-) Give it time though. People usually wait until close to the date of the event to decide.

I knew I could count on you ;-) :lol2:

Besides... we need someone to buy the burgers again... :-P

I thought with rallies, it was like a scavenger hunt type of deal on a motorcycle.... you're given a time limit and a book with a number of bonus locations and things to take a picture of at said location (specific instructions that must be met to get allocated points awarded to you). Pictures all submitted via polaroid (to avoid any digital alteration, duplication, etc).

Apparently not? This is just a get together?

:rofl:

You have been hanging out with Charlie too long... :-P

:rofl:

You have been hanging out with Charlie too long... :-P

:scratch: So... I can't ask an honest question? When I hear "motorycle" and "rally" used together to describe an event, I understand that there should be a time limit specified, and bonus locations, and rules and whatnot. :shrug:

Back