• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Fall Arkansas/Missouri Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an updated Day 1 route. However, I may end up making it day 2. I had to trim the northern portion of 125 in MO to keep the distance reasonable. It was with that or trim Push Mountain Road, and I REALLY don't want to do that.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it to about 300 miles so we can get back to ES in time for brats, schnitzel, and beer at Bavarian Inn.

So like I said, I may move this to day 2 and keep the full length of 125 in the plans.
ef94965b86dbb852619ee5bebf7888b5.jpg

Wow, that pic is really huge. Sorry about that. I had to upload it through Tapatalk since Google Photos is blocked on my work computer.

You heard that right, Google Photos is blocked. :(

I really don't like the Southern portion along highway 62. It's a pretty straight stretch of road. Still looking on ways to avoid it without adding significant length to the trip.

On the other hand, that stretch might be somewhat welcome after 250 miles of squiggly lines.

I'm just waiting on a special someone to step forward and take on the thrill of leading out the dirt group.

Might that person be you? :deal:

Seriously though, even if there isn't an "organized" dirt ride, just come anyway and point your bike down the nearest dirt road and have a blast. I'm sure there will be several who will join you, and a blast will be had by all, plan or no plan.

I would step forward if I thought I'm eligible. My off-road experience is not something to brag about :)

Are any of you planning to go off-roading?
I'm starting to consider installing road tires for this one

I can't even tell you how excited I am about the Peel ferry. I've always wanted to ride a ferry on a motorcycle!

Awesome! I'd be interested in the gpx files whenever you're ready to share. I really appreciate the hard work that went into putting together these routes!

Here's an updated Day 1 route. However, I may end up making it day 2. I had to trim the northern portion of 125 in MO to keep the distance reasonable. It was with that or trim Push Mountain Road, and I REALLY don't want to do that.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it to about 300 miles so we can get back to ES in time for brats, schnitzel, and beer at Bavarian Inn.

So like I said, I may move this to day 2 and keep the full length of 125 in the plans.

I'll be riding back to Burleson this afternoon (from Livingston), but it will probably be too late to work with the routes much tonight. But I'll hopefully be able to get a more finalized version by done by this weekend. I'm interested to see how the gpx file imports to your device.

What nav device are you using?

No rush, we have plenty of time to get the GPS units ready. My current solution is my Android phone running OSMAnd with the GPX file(s) imported into it. I used to rely on Garmin products, but I haven't been happy with their business model and features and I am trying to move in the direction of re-purposing my smart phone to be my GPS. The downside is that the Samsung S7 I have is not as rugged as a Garmin Zumo. It can take a bit of rain but I am not sure I want it exposed to a major downpour.

I'll be riding back to Burleson this afternoon (from Livingston), but it will probably be too late to work with the routes much tonight. But I'll hopefully be able to get a more finalized version by done by this weekend. I'm interested to see how the gpx file imports to your device.

What nav device are you using?

I'm in. :rider: I put in for those days off at work and booked a room with Larry today.
I will be riding up from DFW on Thursday, possibly Wednesday if I'm really lucky.

Possibly has space:
pacman (Thinking about possibly trailering on this go-round. I want to make sure there's at least one trailer available for recovery if needed <furiously knocks on wood>)

Hey now!!!! LOL

Just think about it, we could have our reunion in October!

On a side note, it looks like a darn good trip. I would love to do the dual sport stuff, but truth be told I know nothing about the roads up there so I wouldn't be of much help. I could lead a group for sure, but planning a route would probably make for a lot of U-turns. LOL Let me check the schedule and available PTO and maybe I can make this one.

Last edited:
I'm in. :rider: I put in for those days off at work and booked a room with Larry today.
I will be riding up from DFW on Thursday, possibly Wednesday if I'm really lucky.

Yay!! That's great news. I'll update the first post.

Hey now!!!! LOL

Just think about it, we could have our reunion in October!

On a side note, it looks like a darn good trip. I would love to do the dual sport stuff, but truth be told I know nothing about the roads up there so I wouldn't be of much help. I could lead a group for sure, but planning a route would probably make for a lot of U-turns. LOL Let me check the schedule and available PTO and maybe I can make this one.

YAY AGAIN!! That would be totally awesome if you can make it. A old school TWT Arkansas reunion would a blast, minus any mishaps, of course.

I bet we could easily get a route thrown together for you to lead out. :deal::rider:

BTW, I don't know how you SE Texas/Houston guys do it. I rode from Burleson to Livingston and back for work and it was freaking miserable! I will never complain about the humidity in North Texas again.

Well, Stephen is gonna try to make this event.
I snagged one of the single-bed rooms as not to hog up an extra bed.
I'm trailering up/back on the slab as I need to leave at the last minute and get straight home. Hope that works out well.

See ya' in Oct

Stephen, somehow I missed this post. Great to hear you're going to be there! Can I put you down in the definite list?

I can't even tell you how excited I am about the Peel ferry. I've always wanted to ride a ferry on a motorcycle!

I'm excited about that myself! I've ridden a motorcycle on to one ferry many years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was. Maybe Galveston.

Here's the route I've been working on for getting from mi casa up to ES. Note that this is a NON-interstate route.

472.6 miles.

It's been a while since I've done an almost 500 mile day. Gulp. My neck and back are already hurting! :lol2:

Any and all are welcome to join me on this. I'll be leaving from Alvarado at 7am, possibly earlier. I want to get in to ES before the deer become a problem. (few miles south of Burleson - it's just a convenient spot to meet)

Feel free to join up anywhere along the route. Once the departure time is nailed down, we can get some fairly accurate ETAs for various meet-up points along the way.

_q5zArAfvT6Q0ThTtxVavKeXvK3qc0zYI2RK7mbNnwj-SvGWTBF_gkSVectbd-k5NhTz8r7FBfdYtOa5HlY=w909-h630-no.png

Hey Pacman,
Just reserved the last 2 rooms with Larry. There will be 4 of us joining. Will be on roadbikes. All of us have ridden up there before.

Myself = Aprilia Tuono
Ron = Aprilia Tuono
Cam = Aprilia Tuono
Charlie= GS1200

Looking forward to it!:clap:

Last edited:
Hey Pacman,
Just reserved the last 2 rooms with Larry. There will be 4 of us joining. Will be on roadbikes. All of us have ridden up there before.

Myself = Aprilia Tuono
Ron = Aprilia Tuono
Cam = Aprilia Tuono
Charlie= GS1200

Looking forward to it!:clap:

Well alright, then! Looks like we're going to have a mini Ape meet going on in the TWTex camp.

Are your friends TWTex members? If not I'd encourage them to sign up. They are more than welcome to join us either way, but it would be good for them to log in and take a look around. I'd also encourage them to read the TWT Rules of the Road post, just so they'd know what to expect on the ride. Not trying to dissuade anyone from coming, just want everyone to be informed.

I'll get you guys added to the list, and glad you guys signed up!

Last edited:
Next question: Do I need to secure more rooms? I'm sure there are more that can be reserved outside of the block, but unless I call and block more, you won't get the TWTex group rate. We have quite a few guys on the MAYBE list still, how many of you are leaning towards making the trip?

Thanks!

I'll encourage them to do so. I have sent them the thread to the ride and Rules of the Road.

Buellboy, Scott is a neighbor of Ron and I, all of us including Scott have ridden together for years.

Is it October yet!

Well alright, then! Looks like we're going to have a mini Ape meet going on in the TWTex camp.

Are your friends TWTex members? If not I'd encourage them to sign up. They are more than welcome to join us either way, but it would be good for them to log in and take a look around. I'd also encourage them to read the TWT Rules of the Road post, just so they'd know what to expect on the ride. Not trying to dissuade anyone from coming, just want everyone to be informed.

I'll get you guys added to the list, and glad you guys signed up!

Next question: Do I need to secure more rooms? I'm sure there are more that can be reserved outside of the block, but unless I call and block more, you won't get the TWTex group rate. We have quite a few guys on the MAYBE list still, how many of you are leaning towards making the trip?

I think that would be a good idea. The closer to trip time the more people get off the fence and commit.

I think that would be a good idea. The closer to trip time the more people get off the fence and commit.

I agree, and just spoke with Larry.

Everyone who's still on the fence, please check the first post for hotel updates.

Saturday Dinner Update

We have a confirmed dinner reservation for Saturday, October 14, 7:00pm, at Bavarian Inn Restaurant in ES.

I spoke with the hostess, Joanne, and she remembers Two Wheeled Texans and is very pleased to be hosting us again.

One thing she did request is that we give her a headcount for anyone having duck that night. It's a very popular dish and they want to make sure they have enough on hand.

Please take a look at their menu...

http://restaurant.eurekaspringsinn.com/dinner-menu/

...and post here if you intend to order duck. I probably will, it sounds wonderful.

Quack quack. :eat3:

Last edited:
Was in Ark in late May and the bottom section of 123 (West of 7 to Clarksville) is still heavy with loose gravel from construction last year. It's ugly.

Might want to load an alternate route just in case you get there and it's still ugly.

Thanks for this road report Stephen. Is there anyone reading this who plans on riding in this area in the near future? Or has more recently than May? Would like to get more information on the status of this road.

ArkDot loves to chipseal roads, but they tend to settle out fairly quickly, or at least all the loose stuff gets packed in or swept over to the shoulders. It doesn't leave the greatest surface, but generally the loose stuff goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back