• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Spring Hill Country Rally, April 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen
Three weeks to go!!

According to Big A here portions of 337 may be torn up when we're out there. Just a heads up.
I just now posted the following message on another thread in TWT ("3's update"). Since it will have meaning to those folk riding on this rally, I am 'double posting' it here too.

I will be going through there on April 7 on my way from San Marcos (via Bandera, Medina, and Vanderpool) to Leakey, Texas for a Texas Forest Service fire seminar. I will most definitely drive thru 337 on my way. I will be in my Ford van, with my trusty Kawasaki ZL600 stashed inside.

I promise to check out this work on 337 (east of Leakey) and report to you all here the condition. I will try to get pics of it too, but can't promise to get the pics downloaded to my laptop and then re uploaded to here before I get home on April 10. I will get them on here on April 10, and will try to get them here earlier.

Some forums frown on 'double-posting' messages. Since I have heard no such rule here, I think I will also post this message on the TWT Spring Hill Country Rally forum, since they will be affected by this bit of road work too.

scooter78666

KenH

Inactive Member
Forum Supporter
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Haley
Anyone planning on dualsporting, or is this intended to be a paved ride?

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
Anyone planning on dualsporting, or is this intended to be a paved ride?
The "official" routes (by "official" I mean whatever path I'm on as default leader if necessary) will be paved. BUT - anybody can do any ride anywhere they want, lead their own group or do their own thing.

Just make sure to let the ride leaders know if you're breaking off, and if a person or group is doing their own ride, let somebody know approximate plans/ destinations.

Last edited:
So, I just took delivery of my 08 V-strom and was thinking about joining you at Inks Lake. What is the current camping situation, is there room or should I get a motel room in Burnet? I will be coming up Friday evening arriving about 7pm....Bill

I'll take it, do most campers try and bring food to cook or do people eat as a group before, during and after the all day rides? Bill

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
umm, yes.

Depending on your appetite for food and early mornings, some people make breakfast runs pre-ride. Nothing really likely (or nearby) is leaping to mind, so it will be worth being prepared to make/ have a breakfast. As elaborate (or not) as you like.

Lunch is wherever we end up en route. Or carry something with you. We'll likely stop about midday at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, with the Ace Cafe. That may be an option. Or carry something with you.

Dinner is camp stove/grill standard, limited only by your creativity and taste, or make an evening run to a smallish handful of semi-nearby options. The (I am not making this up) Steak Barn is close.

Oh, and the spot's yours.

Last edited:
Ok, I"ll probably just bring some breakfast stuff and wing it for dinner, not really set up yet for motorcycle camping beyond a tent and sleeping bag. Once I get some side luggage I'll be more prepared. I have a class till 5pm on Friday so I should be rolling in a little past 7pm...thanks, Bill

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
UPDATE 3

The reserved tent spots are officially filled! I'll add a new list if necessary for standby. Of course, anybody could roomate with somebody else, or just call and make their own reservations if spots are still available.

ETA: 10 days away!! Check:

:tab TIRES. If in doubt, replace or bring a replacement(s) and tools. Never fails, somebody who was sure they were fine ends up showing cord 150 miles into a 300 mile day. If you can already see wear bars, don't wait.

:tab GEAR: Gear 1, camping: If in doubt, get more/ better than you think you need. If you end up soaked because you brought your Snoopy tent and Barbie sleeping bag, you have my sympathy, but you ain't sharing my tent.
:tab:tab Gear 2, riding: BARE MINIMUM: Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots over the ankle, jeans. In this case, less is NOT more. If you don't have this bare minimum kit, beg, borrow or steal till you do.

:tab BIKE: Beyond tires, work out whatever gremlins are buggin you, or whatever impending catastrophic failures are foreseeable. Chain tension, lever play, etc. Don't make the group wait while you fiddle fuses for heated grips.

Last edited:
Its looking like I might only be able to make one day. I saw a proposed route for Sat, do you have a route planned for Sunday? Thanks, Bill

GHT

First Name
George
Last Name
Touchton
Just a reminder to everyone, that is the MS-150 weekend you may want to stay clear of the riders route for that particular event as it may delay you. :giveup: I will be one of the 13,000+ bicycle riders that weekend, so please be careful when passing us.:rider:
You guys have a GREAT WEEKEND and I will see some of you at the T.A.R. in Junction...
George

First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Robles
Just a reminder to everyone, that is the MS-150 weekend you may want to stay clear of the riders route for that particular event as it may delay you. :giveup: I will be one of the 13,000+ bicycle riders that weekend, so please be careful when passing us.:rider:
You guys have a GREAT WEEKEND and I will see some of you at the T.A.R. in Junction...
George
Thanks for the reminder! We'll need to keep this in mind on the return ride to Houston on Sunday.:rider:

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
Its looking like I might only be able to make one day. I saw a proposed route for Sat, do you have a route planned for Sunday? Thanks, Bill
I'll work on a Sunday route this week. Also open to suggestions.

Update 4:

THIS WEEK:

Mon-Wed: Procrastinate
Thurs: Panic Shop, load bike, gear.

Fri: If necessary, meet at 9:30 at Exxon on 290 & Huffmeister, load gear for people that need extra stuff (within reason) carried up, (first come first served.) Roll out NLT 10:00. If nobody speaks up that they want something carried, I'll skip this meet and roll straight from home.

Tent Campers: When you get to the campground, tell them you're with the "Simpson" group.

PM me for cell #.

Anything else?

Weather looks friendly enough...

Last edited:
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
Update 5

Called and confirmed reservations. All's well.

The money question:
(For tent people)

Assuming everybody shows it will be $6/ night fri-sun. We might have to do some math to keep it fair for the one-night only folks, but it won't be more than $12/ night. You'll owe me either 6 or 12 for Fri night, then 6 or 12 to the park for Sat & Sun nights.

Don't forget there is also a 3 or 4 dollar day use fee per day.

RV/ Cabin/ B&B/ homeless people: Whatever you worked out.

Last edited:

kurt

Admin
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
What would be a good meeting place and time Saturday morning if I were to ride out for the day?

kurt

Admin
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
I had a cabin, vacation approval and everything, but couldn't get the girls excited about it. We spent it all to go to the Ingelside Pie Run instead.

First Name
Marc
Last Name
Briggs
I would like to come out sun morn. and hook up for a ride or just mingle and enjoy the day, Is this camp ground on park road 4 ? This may have already been posted but if somebody doesent mind saying where again, Im not a smart man!

I'm out... :argh:

I love work. and scheduling bizzniss. :miffed:

Soozy, I'm sorry!

:tears: I am sorry too!! You are good company. I am going anyway. Mandy, my newly married daughter, is living in Killeen, so I can tie a visit in to her.

I am ready for my first solo adventure out of the metroplex. :rider:

First Name
Rachel
:tears: I am sorry too!! You are good company. I am going anyway. Mandy, my newly married daughter, is living in Killeen, so I can tie a visit in to her.

I am ready for my first solo adventure out of the metroplex. :rider:
good luck :sun:

maybe one of these days I'll actually go :doh:

STrider - if I need to I can pay for my camping spot since I bailed.

Last edited:
First Name
Debbie
Last Name
McMullen
Hey Matt,

Squeaky convinced me to join her since Erik's work schedule is getting more hectic. She said that she already has one of the camping spots & we'll be sharing my tent so add me to your definite list. We both have to work on Friday so we'll be heading out on Saturday. :sun:

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Nelson
We both have to work on Friday so we'll be heading out on Saturday. :sun:
And will hopefully avoid as much of the MS150 craziness as possible :eek2: which means I don't get to take a few of my favorite roads, but we'll get to explore some new ones. :rider:

First Name
Sean
Just a heads up on 337, the construction isn't that bad at all. We were just there along with 4,000 Harleys, no problems.

Here's what it's like:
337constr.jpg

jbh

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
I am addicted to coffee, unfortunately. I have to drink it in the morning or I get my withdrawl headache. Is anyone bringing a coffee pot? I have one I can bring with a small stove, ect but it takes up quite a bit of room on the FJR in the bags. I will bring it if necessary but if there are other options I would like to hear them.

Thanks.

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
I am addicted to coffee.
+1.

Option 1. Stagger, stumble and fumble around until the first stop. (Generally happens early in the ride). Get coffee.

Option 2. Be exceedingly nice (or be a BSG) to Squeaky, stand in line, get small but good cup from the jet boil.

Option 3. Bring just your pot, you can put it on my camp stove.

Option 4. Buy a Goldwing. Decide on espresso, latte, or regular. Push the right button.

Last edited:
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Robles
Hey Matt,

Squeaky convinced me to join her since Erik's work schedule is getting more hectic. She said that she already has one of the camping spots & we'll be sharing my tent so add me to your definite list. We both have to work on Friday so we'll be heading out on Saturday. :sun:
This group is starting to look eerily like the "deer run" in April of '05!:eek2: :rider:

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Nelson
Option 2. Be exceedingly nice (or be a BSG) to Squeaky, stand in line, get small but good cup from the jet boil.
I was going to offer, but I'm only staying one night - so Sunday morning coffee is all I can offer. :-P

First Name
Debbie
Last Name
McMullen
This group is starting to look eerily like the "deer run" in April of '05!:eek2: :rider:
Hey Stuey,

Gosh ...... has it been that long. Is Mark "Texian" coming too? I just have to ride close to you guys to shield away the deer from me. :angel:

Actually it looks like Squeaky & I will not be there in time to join ya'll for a ride but we can swope stories at the camp fire. :party:

First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Robles
Hey Stuey,

Gosh ...... has it been that long. Is Mark "Texian" coming too? I just have to ride close to you guys to shield away the deer from me. :angel:

Actually it looks like Squeaky & I will not be there in time to join ya'll for a ride but we can swope stories at the camp fire. :party:
Texians in, but we'll be staying down the road a bit in Sunrise Beach.

Are you guys riding back Sunday or Monday?

Gosh this sounds like a ton of fun. If I didn't have company coming in, I'd be there too. :rider: :rider: :rider:

Have fun and take pictures!!!

jbh

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
+1.

Option 1. Stagger, stumble and fumble around until the first stop. (Generally happens early in the ride). Get coffee.

Option 3. Bring just your pot, you can put it on my camp stove.

Option 4. Buy a Goldwing. Decide on espresso, latte, or regular. Push the right button.
I don't have enough time this week for option #4 so it looks like I will go with option #3. If you have the stove and propane that will save me a lot of space. I will bring my perculater pot and coffe. I will be able to make excess coffee if anyone else wants coffee as well, just bring your own mug.

jbh

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
For all who are arriving on Friday, what time do you plan to arrive at the park?

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
If you have the stove and propane that will save me a lot of space. I will bring my perculater pot and coffe. I will be able to make excess coffee if anyone else wants coffee as well, just bring your own mug.
Consider it done. But "excess coffee" is like "excess money".

For all who are arriving on Friday, what time do you plan to arrive at the park?
1:00 to 2:00 pm, pending last minute travel, packing, planning, oversleeping snafus. Red Avalanche, Aluminium Silver Sprint ST. Blue Tent.

Last edited:
First Name
David
Last Name
Allen

I just now posted the following message on another thread in TWT ("3's update"). Since it will have meaning to those folk riding on this rally, I am 'double posting' it here too.

I will be going through there on April 7 on my way from San Marcos (via Bandera, Medina, and Vanderpool) to Leakey, Texas for a Texas Forest Service fire seminar. I will most definitely drive thru 337 on my way. I will be in my Ford van, with my trusty Kawasaki ZL600 stashed inside.

I promise to check out this work on 337 (east of Leakey) and report to you all here the condition. I will try to get pics of it too, but can't promise to get the pics downloaded to my laptop and then re uploaded to here before I get home on April 10. I will get them on here on April 10, and will try to get them here earlier.

scooter78666
Here I am: back from my 3-day car trip to Leakey via RR 337 from Medina thru Vanderpool and on to Leakey. I was on this stretch of road on Monday afternoon, April 7, about 3 PM. It was not raining, so construction crews were operating full-bore along this stretch. The construction zone started about 5 miles east of Leakey, and continued all the way into the town of Leakey. I am going to post 6 or 8 pics of the road construction as I snapped pictures thru the windshield of my Suburban as I followed the pilot car from east to west. I had to wait a long time (15 or 20 minutes at this first one-way red light, waiting for the pilot car to return. Once we got underway, he zipped along pretty good. A group of cyclists happened to be going west to east as I just started my east to west run.

My overall assessment of the difficulty of riding thru this construction zone is: Not bad if it is dry. It was mainly just dusty, and your cycle will be super dirty after riding thru it. IF it happened to be raining, it would be YUCKY in the extreme.

Look at the following pics I took on Monday afternoon, April 7 (2 days ago).

Eastern end of road work on RR 337
9zlwuw.jpg

Cycles moving east on RR 337 on 4-7-08
2mgmd04.jpg

Following pilot car thru construction zone
2h587sz.jpg

25rk1fm.jpg

fusvit.jpg

2ughzmd.jpg

End of construction zone on RR 337 in Leakey on April 7; 3 PM
2cy4h3r.jpg

I hope these pics will help you in planning your ride thru this stretch of road.
scooter78666

First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
Update 6

Near last minute thoughts:

Firewood. Bring whatever you can. There's no such thing as too much.

Tools. See Firewood. Sometimes the things that seem the least necessary/ most obscure end up being critical. OTOH, don't go crazy. It's highly unlikely we'll need your chop saw. But a gas powered blender.....

Gear, riding: Duh. Helmet, jacket, boots over the ankle, gloves, and at least jeans.

Gear, camping: You get what you pay for. Don't complain if you end up cold and wet in the middle of the night in a Barbie tent and Scooby sleeping bag.

Rides: There's a couple seriously fast people on the trip, among whom I most definitely do NOT number. Trying to keep up while riding over one's head is a very good way to find oneself on one's noggin. And it's not fun. Ride your own ride, at your own pace. Unless you go out of your way to leave the group, you WILL NOT GET LEFT.

Rides, redux: When you hear that little voice that says "Man!, I'm really riding good!" That means you are about to crash. DAHIK.

Rules: In addition to the TWT rules, the following are in effect through Monday:

:tab 1. No crashing
:tab 2. No crying

Squeaky

Forum Supporter
First Name
Rebecca
Last Name
Nelson
Aww, man - my Barbie tent and sleeping bag combo is sooooooo cute! :lol2:

WoodButcher

Admin
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
FYI, a cold front with a line of storms came through the area this morning. About a half inch of rain. Forecast is for clear skies, 70's during the days and 40's at night all the way through Sunday. Looks to be a beautiful weekend for you all. Too bad I'm heading to Houston.

jbh

First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
Still packing, got the FJR loaded up-hope I can get it off the center stand.

I will not be able to bring firewood but I can help get some (pay$) once I get there. I will probably be there Friday from 2-5pm or so. Look for a blue FJR, me and a tent and maybe a six pack.

I plan to meander down from Fort Worth tomorrow. Once I get there I will set up camp and then have to make a run to the store for refreshments and hopefully some food to cook out.

I hope we all get to camp in the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.