• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Spring Hill Country Rally, April 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
It's time to start getting plans and ideas together for an official trip, so....

Where: Inks Lake State Park. Update 2: I have made reservations at Inks Lake State park. 5 water-only camping spots, giving us 10 (including me) tent spots, hopefully in loop 300-304. It's first come first served, so we'll see. We should all be in a group though, wherever we end up. I had to cover the initial reservation fee ($60), so that will be split up among those camping. That cost will be applied to the campground fee, neither I nor TWT will make money.

Soooo....

I'll need to know who is planning on camping at the park with the group (that is, occupying one of the reserved spots). I don't anticipate we'll need more spots than we have reserved, but just in case.... Post up or PM me your confirmation. If you already have trailer, Sunset Beach, or other arrangements made, don't worry 'bout it.

<edited to add: Trailers < 26' long, pop-ups, and camper shells are permitted in the loop, 1 per spot.>

Alsooooo...

There's a variably enforced 2 vehicle per spot rule. Last time we were up there we didn't have any problems with multiple bikes per spot, but that doesn't mean we won't this time. What I'm trying to get at is, if you plan to truck or trailer your bike up (I probably will), you may have to park your cage in the large lot at the park entrance. As we approach trip time, I'd like to have an idea who is trucking/trailering up, so we'll know what the recovery vehicle situation is. It's also helpful for those riding up who may want to stash a bag in a cage for delivery.

For those not inclined to camp, other accomodations are of course fine, but will not be set up by the organizers.
Burnet Hotels

When: April 11-14. Travel up Fri, ride Saturday & Sunday, travel home Monday. Then pay the tax man.

Travel: Whatever suits you. I dunno if I'm gonna truck or ride up yet. If a trailer comes available, and if there's people that wanna share the trailer ride up, I can tow.

Routes: TBD. Or made up on the fly. I'll be looking at routes that include the 33x's. DS routes are up to the DS Ride Coordinator.

Activities: Riding, camping & whatever that includes for you. I'm sure we'll make a stop at the Lone Star Motorcycle museum. I know for some folks that's an all day visit. I can see as much as I care too in about 1/2 an hour. While it's early to start worrying about it, don't forget your:

Cards
Frisbees
Footballs
Fishing poles
Swimming garb(?)
Acoustical instrument

Food: It's camping. Whatever works for you. Make it as elaborate (or not) as you like. There's a couple restaurants not too far from the campground that might be ok for a group dinner one night, or just making an evening run for 1 or 2.

Costs: Fuel, food, travel, accomodations. I'll post up the campground costs when I get the reservations. Tent sites are $12/night + $4 day use fee. There is no rally fee.

RULES:

This is a TWT Sponsored Event. So....

1. Wear the gear! At a minimum you must have a DOT approved helmet, gloves, and jacket. We'd be much happier to see good boots and riding pants ;-)

2. NO squidding! This means no wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, etc,... We do not want to attract undue negative attention.

3. No passing on the right! If you are behind a slower rider, pass safely on the left. It is preferrable that they know you are coming so you don't freak them when you pass by them.

4. Speeding is done at your own risk! Sure we all ride a little quick at times. If you get a ticket, don't bother blaming me. If you come upon group members that have been stopped, keep riding and find a place to stop farther up the road. LEO are not going to be thrilled if a lot of other bikes start pulling up.

5. Ride your own pace! I know you've all heard this before. Take it serious!! You will not get left behind. I stop the group at all turns in the route so we can regroup. It is rare for the group to wait more than a minute or two at most even for the slow riders. I will not continue until I get a thumbs up from the last person to arrive. Really, I want everyone to take this serious. Picking people and their bikes up out of ditches is NOT FUN!!

6. Group formation. On straights, we ride in a staggered formation with at least a one second gap between the person ahead of you. DO NOT CROWD THE RIDER IN FRONT OF YOU!! If you are all over the back of the person in front of you, you need to go ahead and pass them when it is safe. There are deer out in East Texas and if they have to swerve or brake to miss a deer, you need to have time to react! The staggering is only required for straights. When you hit the curves, take whatever line you think is best to get you through the corner safely.

7. No booze!We do not tolerate drinking until the end of the day when we are off the bikes. May sound kind of strict, but that's the way it is.

8. If one gasses up, we all gas up! I know this rule bugs some people. However, it will never fail that a few people will wait to get gas because they don't "need" gas yet. This totally screws up everything because they get out of sync with the group and we wind up having to make more stops and waste more time than we would if everyone will just fill up at the same time. I will hound you about this!!

9. Passing other traffic. I expect you to pass other vehicles in a safe manner. This does not include passing through a corner on the double yellow! If the bike in front of you passes, DO NOT assume it is necessarily safe for you to pass as well!! I have seen way too many close calls because of this behavior. Remember, we don't want every car we pass to be pissed at motorcyclists because we are obnoxious ;-)

10. Keep track of the rider behind you. You should be checking your mirrors every time you get done with a set of curves to make sure the person behind you has come through without incident. The idea is to make sure no one gets left behind as a result of mechanical issues or an accident. If you turn around, then the person ahead of you will eventually turn around, and so on, until the whole group comes back. We will do whatever is necessary to get all bikes and riders home.

11. Breaking away from the group. There will be riders that need to cut the day short for whatever reason. If you are one of these riders, you need to make sure that the ride leader knows you will be leaving and when. This is important because otherwise, it will be assumed that something bad has happened to you!

Updates: Remember to check back here for updates.
:tabUpdate 1: I recently had reason to be reminded of a 1/2 idea I had with another TWT guitar weirdo. So, if you're inclined and capable (of carrying it, capable of playing is optional), bring the acoustical instrument of your choosing.

:tabUPDATE 3
The reserved tent spots are officially filled! I'll add a new list if necessary for standby. Of course, anybody could just call and make their own reservations if spots are still available.

:tab Update 4:
THIS WEEK:
Mon-Wed: Procrastinate
Thurs: Panic Shop, load bike, gear.

Fri: If necessary, meet at 9:30 at Exxon on 290 & Huffmeister, load gear for people that need extra stuff (within reason) carried up, (first come first served.) Roll out NLT 10:00. If nobody speaks up that they want something carried, I'll skip this meet and roll straight from home.

Tent Campers: When you get to the campground, tell them you're with the "Simpson" group.

PM me for cell #.

Anything else?
Weather looks friendly enough...

:tab Update 5
The money question:
(For tent people)

Assuming everybody shows it will be $6/ night fri-sun. We might have to do some math to keep it fair for the one-night only folks, but it won't be more than $12/ night. You'll owe me either 6 or 12 for Fri night, then 6 or 12 to the park for Sat & Sun nights.

Don't forget there is also a 3 or 4 dollar day use fee per day.

RV/ Cabin/ B&B/ homeless people: Whatever you worked out

Players: If you're in, let us know your name & bike. And "I'm definitely in unless...." means you are a maybe.

Definite
leeroy Keith VFR
STScott Scott ST
STrider Matt Sprint ST

kocook Kent :drool:

Squeaky Rebecca DL1k
jbh jbh FJR

Soozy Soozy Burg 650
Tracker Gary Speed Triple (brit bike evil twin)
Thermalser Stuart Blue Blur
Rsquared Roger Fizzyone
Snoopster Debbie SV650

Maybe
FJR Bandit
Texian Mark GS/ RC-51
Slider Doug FZ1
trl5791 Nighthawk/ sv1k
ndmiller Noah 1200GS

Tourmeister Scott Strom
Knobby R1/DRZ
hcope1 Buzz GS1150 (oddly enough, also "buzz")

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'll be your first maybe. I still don't know if I am going to be back home or still in New Mexico.

I'm in....never been camping before....this should be fun.

I might have to leave on Sunday....I won't know if I can get that Monday off until the end of Feb.

I pilot a 2006 ST1300.

Maybe for me. Is Mike from Clear Lake coming? :rofl:

I'm planning a week in April at Lost Maples State Park. Might start that week on 13 April to spend a bit of time with ya'll.

Just checked the locations - 137 miles apart. Probably won't do this, as my riding is planned for points south of I-10.

I'm a maybe too. I need to check the daughter's volleyball schedule to make sure there isn't a tournament. It's close to the TAR event, but I might be able to do both. Plus I've been trying to figure out a way out there that is hits some dirt roads. Maybe I'll have it figured out by then.

I'm 99% sure that I'll make it down for at least one night. I may not be able to make the whole event, but I have to show to just to finally meet you, Matt!

I'm 99% sure that I'll make it down for at least one night. I may not be able to make the whole event, but I have to show to just to finally meet you, Matt!
:thumb:

List updated. Internet reservations for the campground are non-functional till Feb 1. I'll try to do it over the phone before that, but if not, then I'll do it then. (I really am not fond of the phone.)

Maybe. If I make it, I'll be in the nearest hotel, comfortable and drunk. :mrgreen:

Inks Lake SP have about 15-20 AC cabin. Inside of each cabin has two sets of single bunk beds with mattresses (sleeps 4), ceiling fan in case someone doesn’t like camping. To reserve call direct
512/793-2223

Mike

:thumb:

List updated. Internet reservations for the campground are non-functional till Feb 1. I'll try to do it over the phone before that, but if not, then I'll do it then. (I really am not fond of the phone.)

Since I have to leave on Sunday, could you let me know which campsite you make the reservations for and I will call and make reservations for myself for that Thursday...thought I might get down there a day early and do some fishing and hiking before everyone arrives.

Thanks.

Tx, at what cabin are you staying? I'm guessing you're in the state park?

They won't assign one until arrival according to the reservation line. Maybe I can sweet talk the lady actually at Inks Lake SP.

My wife found a nice little B&B nearby, so......guess where we're staying.

I hate B&Bs. :argh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back