• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Spring Hill Country Rally, April 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three weeks to go!!

According to Big A here portions of 337 may be torn up when we're out there. Just a heads up.

I just now posted the following message on another thread in TWT ("3's update"). Since it will have meaning to those folk riding on this rally, I am 'double posting' it here too.

I will be going through there on April 7 on my way from San Marcos (via Bandera, Medina, and Vanderpool) to Leakey, Texas for a Texas Forest Service fire seminar. I will most definitely drive thru 337 on my way. I will be in my Ford van, with my trusty Kawasaki ZL600 stashed inside.

I promise to check out this work on 337 (east of Leakey) and report to you all here the condition. I will try to get pics of it too, but can't promise to get the pics downloaded to my laptop and then re uploaded to here before I get home on April 10. I will get them on here on April 10, and will try to get them here earlier.

Some forums frown on 'double-posting' messages. Since I have heard no such rule here, I think I will also post this message on the TWT Spring Hill Country Rally forum, since they will be affected by this bit of road work too.

scooter78666

Anyone planning on dualsporting, or is this intended to be a paved ride?

Anyone planning on dualsporting, or is this intended to be a paved ride?
The "official" routes (by "official" I mean whatever path I'm on as default leader if necessary) will be paved. BUT - anybody can do any ride anywhere they want, lead their own group or do their own thing.

Just make sure to let the ride leaders know if you're breaking off, and if a person or group is doing their own ride, let somebody know approximate plans/ destinations.

Last edited:
So, I just took delivery of my 08 V-strom and was thinking about joining you at Inks Lake. What is the current camping situation, is there room or should I get a motel room in Burnet? I will be coming up Friday evening arriving about 7pm....Bill

I'll take it, do most campers try and bring food to cook or do people eat as a group before, during and after the all day rides? Bill

umm, yes.

Depending on your appetite for food and early mornings, some people make breakfast runs pre-ride. Nothing really likely (or nearby) is leaping to mind, so it will be worth being prepared to make/ have a breakfast. As elaborate (or not) as you like.

Lunch is wherever we end up en route. Or carry something with you. We'll likely stop about midday at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, with the Ace Cafe. That may be an option. Or carry something with you.

Dinner is camp stove/grill standard, limited only by your creativity and taste, or make an evening run to a smallish handful of semi-nearby options. The (I am not making this up) Steak Barn is close.

Oh, and the spot's yours.

Last edited:
Ok, I"ll probably just bring some breakfast stuff and wing it for dinner, not really set up yet for motorcycle camping beyond a tent and sleeping bag. Once I get some side luggage I'll be more prepared. I have a class till 5pm on Friday so I should be rolling in a little past 7pm...thanks, Bill

UPDATE 3

The reserved tent spots are officially filled! I'll add a new list if necessary for standby. Of course, anybody could roomate with somebody else, or just call and make their own reservations if spots are still available.

ETA: 10 days away!! Check:

:tab TIRES. If in doubt, replace or bring a replacement(s) and tools. Never fails, somebody who was sure they were fine ends up showing cord 150 miles into a 300 mile day. If you can already see wear bars, don't wait.

:tab GEAR: Gear 1, camping: If in doubt, get more/ better than you think you need. If you end up soaked because you brought your Snoopy tent and Barbie sleeping bag, you have my sympathy, but you ain't sharing my tent.
:tab:tab Gear 2, riding: BARE MINIMUM: Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots over the ankle, jeans. In this case, less is NOT more. If you don't have this bare minimum kit, beg, borrow or steal till you do.

:tab BIKE: Beyond tires, work out whatever gremlins are buggin you, or whatever impending catastrophic failures are foreseeable. Chain tension, lever play, etc. Don't make the group wait while you fiddle fuses for heated grips.

Last edited:
Its looking like I might only be able to make one day. I saw a proposed route for Sat, do you have a route planned for Sunday? Thanks, Bill

Just a reminder to everyone, that is the MS-150 weekend you may want to stay clear of the riders route for that particular event as it may delay you. :giveup: I will be one of the 13,000+ bicycle riders that weekend, so please be careful when passing us.:rider:
You guys have a GREAT WEEKEND and I will see some of you at the T.A.R. in Junction...
George

Just a reminder to everyone, that is the MS-150 weekend you may want to stay clear of the riders route for that particular event as it may delay you. :giveup: I will be one of the 13,000+ bicycle riders that weekend, so please be careful when passing us.:rider:
You guys have a GREAT WEEKEND and I will see some of you at the T.A.R. in Junction...
George

Thanks for the reminder! We'll need to keep this in mind on the return ride to Houston on Sunday.:rider:

Its looking like I might only be able to make one day. I saw a proposed route for Sat, do you have a route planned for Sunday? Thanks, Bill

I'll work on a Sunday route this week. Also open to suggestions.

Update 4:

THIS WEEK:

Mon-Wed: Procrastinate
Thurs: Panic Shop, load bike, gear.

Fri: If necessary, meet at 9:30 at Exxon on 290 & Huffmeister, load gear for people that need extra stuff (within reason) carried up, (first come first served.) Roll out NLT 10:00. If nobody speaks up that they want something carried, I'll skip this meet and roll straight from home.

Tent Campers: When you get to the campground, tell them you're with the "Simpson" group.

PM me for cell #.

Anything else?

Weather looks friendly enough...

Last edited:
Update 5

Called and confirmed reservations. All's well.

The money question:
(For tent people)

Assuming everybody shows it will be $6/ night fri-sun. We might have to do some math to keep it fair for the one-night only folks, but it won't be more than $12/ night. You'll owe me either 6 or 12 for Fri night, then 6 or 12 to the park for Sat & Sun nights.

Don't forget there is also a 3 or 4 dollar day use fee per day.

RV/ Cabin/ B&B/ homeless people: Whatever you worked out.

Last edited:
What would be a good meeting place and time Saturday morning if I were to ride out for the day?

I'm out... :argh:

I love work. and scheduling bizzniss. :miffed:

Soozy, I'm sorry!

I had a cabin, vacation approval and everything, but couldn't get the girls excited about it. We spent it all to go to the Ingelside Pie Run instead.

I would like to come out sun morn. and hook up for a ride or just mingle and enjoy the day, Is this camp ground on park road 4 ? This may have already been posted but if somebody doesent mind saying where again, Im not a smart man!

I'm out... :argh:

I love work. and scheduling bizzniss. :miffed:

Soozy, I'm sorry!

:tears: I am sorry too!! You are good company. I am going anyway. Mandy, my newly married daughter, is living in Killeen, so I can tie a visit in to her.

I am ready for my first solo adventure out of the metroplex. :rider:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back