• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT Spring Hill Country Rally, April 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
:tears: I am sorry too!! You are good company. I am going anyway. Mandy, my newly married daughter, is living in Killeen, so I can tie a visit in to her.

I am ready for my first solo adventure out of the metroplex. :rider:

good luck :sun:

maybe one of these days I'll actually go :doh:

STrider - if I need to I can pay for my camping spot since I bailed.

Last edited:
Hey Matt,

Squeaky convinced me to join her since Erik's work schedule is getting more hectic. She said that she already has one of the camping spots & we'll be sharing my tent so add me to your definite list. We both have to work on Friday so we'll be heading out on Saturday. :sun:

We both have to work on Friday so we'll be heading out on Saturday. :sun:

And will hopefully avoid as much of the MS150 craziness as possible :eek2: which means I don't get to take a few of my favorite roads, but we'll get to explore some new ones. :rider:

Just a heads up on 337, the construction isn't that bad at all. We were just there along with 4,000 Harleys, no problems.

Here's what it's like:
337constr.jpg

I am addicted to coffee, unfortunately. I have to drink it in the morning or I get my withdrawl headache. Is anyone bringing a coffee pot? I have one I can bring with a small stove, ect but it takes up quite a bit of room on the FJR in the bags. I will bring it if necessary but if there are other options I would like to hear them.

Thanks.

I am addicted to coffee.

+1.

Option 1. Stagger, stumble and fumble around until the first stop. (Generally happens early in the ride). Get coffee.

Option 2. Be exceedingly nice (or be a BSG) to Squeaky, stand in line, get small but good cup from the jet boil.

Option 3. Bring just your pot, you can put it on my camp stove.

Option 4. Buy a Goldwing. Decide on espresso, latte, or regular. Push the right button.

Last edited:
Hey Matt,

Squeaky convinced me to join her since Erik's work schedule is getting more hectic. She said that she already has one of the camping spots & we'll be sharing my tent so add me to your definite list. We both have to work on Friday so we'll be heading out on Saturday. :sun:

This group is starting to look eerily like the "deer run" in April of '05!:eek2: :rider:

Option 2. Be exceedingly nice (or be a BSG) to Squeaky, stand in line, get small but good cup from the jet boil.

I was going to offer, but I'm only staying one night - so Sunday morning coffee is all I can offer. :-P

This group is starting to look eerily like the "deer run" in April of '05!:eek2: :rider:

Hey Stuey,

Gosh ...... has it been that long. Is Mark "Texian" coming too? I just have to ride close to you guys to shield away the deer from me. :angel:

Actually it looks like Squeaky & I will not be there in time to join ya'll for a ride but we can swope stories at the camp fire. :party:

Hey Stuey,

Gosh ...... has it been that long. Is Mark "Texian" coming too? I just have to ride close to you guys to shield away the deer from me. :angel:

Actually it looks like Squeaky & I will not be there in time to join ya'll for a ride but we can swope stories at the camp fire. :party:

Texians in, but we'll be staying down the road a bit in Sunrise Beach.

Are you guys riding back Sunday or Monday?

Gosh this sounds like a ton of fun. If I didn't have company coming in, I'd be there too. :rider: :rider: :rider:

Have fun and take pictures!!!

My fate is sealed. I'm working Friday night so I'm out completely.

+1.

Option 1. Stagger, stumble and fumble around until the first stop. (Generally happens early in the ride). Get coffee.

Option 3. Bring just your pot, you can put it on my camp stove.

Option 4. Buy a Goldwing. Decide on espresso, latte, or regular. Push the right button.

I don't have enough time this week for option #4 so it looks like I will go with option #3. If you have the stove and propane that will save me a lot of space. I will bring my perculater pot and coffe. I will be able to make excess coffee if anyone else wants coffee as well, just bring your own mug.

For all who are arriving on Friday, what time do you plan to arrive at the park?

If you have the stove and propane that will save me a lot of space. I will bring my perculater pot and coffe. I will be able to make excess coffee if anyone else wants coffee as well, just bring your own mug.

Consider it done. But "excess coffee" is like "excess money".

For all who are arriving on Friday, what time do you plan to arrive at the park?

1:00 to 2:00 pm, pending last minute travel, packing, planning, oversleeping snafus. Red Avalanche, Aluminium Silver Sprint ST. Blue Tent.

Last edited:

I just now posted the following message on another thread in TWT ("3's update"). Since it will have meaning to those folk riding on this rally, I am 'double posting' it here too.

I will be going through there on April 7 on my way from San Marcos (via Bandera, Medina, and Vanderpool) to Leakey, Texas for a Texas Forest Service fire seminar. I will most definitely drive thru 337 on my way. I will be in my Ford van, with my trusty Kawasaki ZL600 stashed inside.

I promise to check out this work on 337 (east of Leakey) and report to you all here the condition. I will try to get pics of it too, but can't promise to get the pics downloaded to my laptop and then re uploaded to here before I get home on April 10. I will get them on here on April 10, and will try to get them here earlier.

scooter78666

Here I am: back from my 3-day car trip to Leakey via RR 337 from Medina thru Vanderpool and on to Leakey. I was on this stretch of road on Monday afternoon, April 7, about 3 PM. It was not raining, so construction crews were operating full-bore along this stretch. The construction zone started about 5 miles east of Leakey, and continued all the way into the town of Leakey. I am going to post 6 or 8 pics of the road construction as I snapped pictures thru the windshield of my Suburban as I followed the pilot car from east to west. I had to wait a long time (15 or 20 minutes at this first one-way red light, waiting for the pilot car to return. Once we got underway, he zipped along pretty good. A group of cyclists happened to be going west to east as I just started my east to west run.

My overall assessment of the difficulty of riding thru this construction zone is: Not bad if it is dry. It was mainly just dusty, and your cycle will be super dirty after riding thru it. IF it happened to be raining, it would be YUCKY in the extreme.

Look at the following pics I took on Monday afternoon, April 7 (2 days ago).

Eastern end of road work on RR 337
9zlwuw.jpg

Cycles moving east on RR 337 on 4-7-08
2mgmd04.jpg

Following pilot car thru construction zone
2h587sz.jpg

25rk1fm.jpg

fusvit.jpg

2ughzmd.jpg

2w3rn9h.jpg

End of construction zone on RR 337 in Leakey on April 7; 3 PM
2cy4h3r.jpg

I hope these pics will help you in planning your ride thru this stretch of road.
scooter78666

Update 6

Near last minute thoughts:

Firewood. Bring whatever you can. There's no such thing as too much.

Tools. See Firewood. Sometimes the things that seem the least necessary/ most obscure end up being critical. OTOH, don't go crazy. It's highly unlikely we'll need your chop saw. But a gas powered blender.....

Gear, riding: Duh. Helmet, jacket, boots over the ankle, gloves, and at least jeans.

Gear, camping: You get what you pay for. Don't complain if you end up cold and wet in the middle of the night in a Barbie tent and Scooby sleeping bag.

Rides: There's a couple seriously fast people on the trip, among whom I most definitely do NOT number. Trying to keep up while riding over one's head is a very good way to find oneself on one's noggin. And it's not fun. Ride your own ride, at your own pace. Unless you go out of your way to leave the group, you WILL NOT GET LEFT.

Rides, redux: When you hear that little voice that says "Man!, I'm really riding good!" That means you are about to crash. DAHIK.

Rules: In addition to the TWT rules, the following are in effect through Monday:

:tab 1. No crashing
:tab 2. No crying

Aww, man - my Barbie tent and sleeping bag combo is sooooooo cute! :lol2:

FYI, a cold front with a line of storms came through the area this morning. About a half inch of rain. Forecast is for clear skies, 70's during the days and 40's at night all the way through Sunday. Looks to be a beautiful weekend for you all. Too bad I'm heading to Houston.

Still packing, got the FJR loaded up-hope I can get it off the center stand.

I will not be able to bring firewood but I can help get some (pay$) once I get there. I will probably be there Friday from 2-5pm or so. Look for a blue FJR, me and a tent and maybe a six pack.

I plan to meander down from Fort Worth tomorrow. Once I get there I will set up camp and then have to make a run to the store for refreshments and hopefully some food to cook out.

I hope we all get to camp in the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back