• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWTEX Autumn Rally

I emailed a series of about a dozen from clean road to you right in front of me. Unfortunately they are rather large (3.6MB each), so I hope I didn't shut down your email box.

Noah

No problem, got them all! :clap: I wish the sun had been a bit higher so that the bike would not have been in so much shadow. Oh well... I'll just have to make another trip :trust:

Continuing where I left off... the start of AR 123... :rider:

:tab This section of 123 probably sees little traffic from most riders. From what I have read or seen, most people come out of Jasper, hit 123 and run it down through Mt. Judea back to AR 7. Nonetheless, this section is nice not so much for incredible twisties, but for the beautiful and idyllic scenery. I always enjoy this stretch of road, there is just something about the area that is very calming and peaceful. I'd love to have a couple hundred acres up here with a nice little cabin.

:tab Shortly before the intersection of AR 74 and 123, I start looking for the Hasty low water cutoff road. I've often seen this road on the maps but have never checked to see if it might be paved. It is basically a short cut over to Jasper, making one leg of a triangle. The normal route is to continue South on 123 to 74, which makes the other two legs of a triangle before cutting back over to Jasper. As soon as we reach the turn, I start having doubts. However, the road is paved with that fine white rock over tar, so we press on. Soon we come to a road closed ahead sign, however there is a large gap to one side and it is obvious that traffic goes by here. So I figure we'll go take a peek. The road immediately starts descending down into a valley and is quite curvy. This would make a great little break from the normal blasting around if it goes through! Alas, it is not to be...

Looking back the way from which we just came
IMG_2354.JPG

A LOT of rocks were brought in here to build up the road base
IMG_2355.JPG

Perhaps they ran out of money buying all the rocks :ponder:
IMG_2356.JPG

:tab There is absolutely no signs of anything to indicate that this is still a work in progress. There is no equipment anywhere... nothing... :scratch: There is a local woman that happens to be here checking it out and we visit with her for a few minutes while pondering the possibility of a dual sport moment... :trust: After talking with her, we decide caution is in order and backtrack to the main highway to do the other two legs of the triangle. We pick up AR 74 at Piercetown and run into Jasper. This is a really nice stretch of road, just another of a seemingly endless series of such roads in this area.

:tab We cruise through town, about a two minute endeavor, and then head South on Hwy 7, climbing up out of the little valley to the top of the ridge line. A few miles South of town is the Cliff House Restaurant. It sits perched on the edge of the ridge looking out over a scenic valley below. The parking lot is PACKED! We park and consider our options. We don't want to waste a lot of time waiting to get in. I spot some folks coming out and ask them how long it took to get in and get seated. They inform me that it took about ten minutes for them and that the restaurant was even busier when they arrived. We decide to give it a try.

The passenger had a nice padded seat and a blanket inside... nice!
IMG_2358.JPG

The next four shots are a pano looking off the deck along the backside of the restaurant, going left to right. Anyone wanna stitch and post it for me?

IMG_2359.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

:tab Sure enough, we get seated pretty quick and even get our food pretty quick. I do my usual grilled cheese and fries :eat: Gotta keep it lite when riding ;-) By the time we leave, I think we've been here for maybe an hour at the most. Anytime I can get a group in/out in an hour or less, I am generally happy as that is what I plan for on rides like this, unless we have a large group.

Parking was tight along the edge of the road
IMG_2363.JPG

Trying to capture some of the color up close
IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

:tab Suited up, guts full, and ready to roll, we head back up AR 7 a few miles to the start of AR 374. This road drops and winds its way down into the valley seen from the Cliff House. It is great fun, but it does have a few technical corners that can catch the unwary rider! It hits the valley floor and then runs alongside a creek until reaching AR 123/74 at Vendor. The only thing here to indicate a town is a crumbling frame of a stone building that looks like it might have been a one room school house in times long forgotten.

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

:tab At AR 123/74 we turn South and make the run down to Mt. Judea (pronounced Judy by the locals). Jut outside the far edge of town, far is in a few hundred yards from the entrance into town..., 123 peels off of 74 and heads into a little box canyon where it proceeds to climb up onto a ridge in a series of 5mph switchbacks. The total ascent is about 1000 feet, from 900 to 1900 feet. Once up on the ridge, the road winds around a few peaks and then turns into one of the best roads anywhere. There is little traffic, the pavement is perfectly smooth, the corners all slightly cambered to the inside, and great visibility. The only down side is that it seems the county mowed recently and there are places with gravel strewn onto the road surface! :headbang: Nonetheless, because of the great road surface, these patches of nastiness are easily visible and avoided, tending to be mostly on the outside of the corners along the shoulder.

Noah on his 1200GS...
IMG_2370.JPG

Imagine about 15 miles of this :rider:
IMG_2371.JPG

More color
IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

I think there are maybe two or three sections that are actually straight. In most places, it is like this were the exit of one curve is the immediate entry into the next... :dude:
IMG_2379.JPG

:tab We spend some time playing around getting video and pics of each other cruising through the curves shown above. It is a perfect spot for this. Then we take off and keep heading South, eventually dropping out on AR 7 at Lurton, another of those sprawling two to three building metropolises. We turn South and head to Hankin's General Store. At this point, I realize that Roger will likely be needing gas since there won't be another opportunity for some time. Hankin's does not have gas so we have to head back up AR 7 a few miles to the "Whoda Though It Gift Shop".

Most of these little places sell 87 Octane only and may not take credit cards
IMG_2380.JPG

:tab Getting gas here has been a bit of a diversion because we have to backtrack back down to Hankin's to pick up our route on AR 16. As we pass the spot where 123 drops out onto 7, I spot several bikes pulled over. it includes several FJR 1300's and perhaps a new Connie 1400, plus a few other sport touring bikes. We wave and keep going since they appear to be fine. At AR 16, we head East.

:tab AR 16 is a rocking wide running West/East between Fayetteville and Clinton (on US 65). This particular section is especially fun and the pavement is in good shape. I set a nice brisk pace and settle into a rhythm. As we were turning off of 7 onto 16, I noticed the pack of bikes we spotted earlier had caught up to us and were getting on 16 as well. No doubt, they will be hot to pass us soon...

:tab Sure enough, barely a few miles down the road, I spot some monster headlights coming up behind me as I am coming into a corner. He pulls in behind me to make the corner and as I pull out, I move over and motion for him to come on around. Moments later, the scene repeats but there is time to move over before the corner and the second rider comes on around. As I start to move back left to set up for the right hand corner, I see MORE headlights coming FAST. At first, it looks like the rider has decided there is not enough time/room to make the pass and he hesitates as if to pull in behind me like the others. Then I notice the lights appear to flash as he decides to go for it and guns the bike, causing the front end to lift up and thus the apparent flash. At this point, we are coming into the corner pretty fast. I hit the brakes, pull over and start mentally going down the list of accident scene management tasks. He flies into the corner way to fast, stands on the brakes, causing the rear to squirm all over the place. He blows the double yellow and completely crosses the entire oncoming lane in a blind corner. Thankfully, he manages to keep it upright and get it slowed enough that he can make the turn and stay on the pavement...

:tab I just don't get it :shrug: He saw me wave his buds by, so it is not like I was gonna hold him up. Moreover, even once they were all past me, I never lost sight of them until we turned off a bit later. So apparently my pace was not too slow for them, they just had to be out front :roll: I pull off on a dirt road to wait for Noah to bring up the rear. A few more of their group go by in the couple of minutes we are waiting. Then Noah goes by... :doh: We start making plans to chase him down when he comes back a few moments later. He just wanted to make sure I got a decent picture of him :lol2:

The turn off for FR 1205 is right in the middle of this corner, so you have to be watching for it!
IMG_2381.JPG

Noah again...
IMG_2382.JPG

:tab It is time for some more dual sport riding :trust: I want to take a minor detour to check out the Falling Water Creek water fall. CR 1205 is hard packed dirt and heads back into the woods. A few miles in we find a little pull out to one side of the road. I recognize the scene from a pic that is in the rotation on the main page of TWT, but there is no where near the water here now as there was in that picture!

IMG_2383.JPG

Roger heading back up the road to a little trail to the top of the falls
IMG_2384.JPG

The sun is already on the down slope and lights up the trees with a warm glow
IMG_2385.JPG

Barely a trickle... It has been a DRY summer and fall!
IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

Bill and Roger checking out the falls
IMG_2388.JPG

As a kid, I would have spent a LOT of time here if I had lived nearby...
IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

Some locals were out enjoying the beautiful day as well
IMG_2391.JPG

Looking downstream, there is no apparent exit for the water in the pool
IMG_2392.JPG

The view from underneath and behind the falls, playing with exposure times
IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

I climbed down to the pool below and walked downstream a bit, eventually the water comes up from under these rocks and keeps flowing
IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

One of my usual weirdness shots...
IMG_2398.JPG

And another...
IMG_2399.JPG

This tree has some serious roots!
IMG_2400.JPG

Looking upstream
IMG_2401.JPG

Another attempt to capture some of the color, but the exposure was tough to handle...
IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

:tab It is getting on into the afternoon and it will no doubt be getting pretty cool again as the sun sinks behind the trees. We mount up and head back down CR 1205 back to the highway. However, we take CR 1313 further South before dropping out onto AR 16 again. It is a nice little ride at a relaxed pace. The road wanders along the bottom of a narrow valley, covered by the branches of large trees, giving the feel of being in another time and world altogether.

:tab Back on AR 16, I pickup the pace. We still have miles to cover and if we are to have any hope of getting back before dark, this will be the last fun stop and we'll have keep a good pace. We pick up Ar 27 and head Northeast towards Marshall. This is another of those roads that I have done numerous times and totally love. It just has everything: awesome curves, great pavement, elevation changes, and great scenery! I always enjoy this part of the day. Knowing the stops will only be for gas and that we are now into full on ride mode, my mentality seems to change and the riding takes on a whole different feel. I don't know if I can really even describe it, but it is there nonetheless.

:tab We reach Marshall and stop for gas and a break. Noah decides it is time for him to take the short way back to the hotel. His concentration is fading and he's getting tired. This is actually quite common when I do group rides because many of the riders simply are not used to the intensity and duration of the riding on roads like the ones we've been doing the last two days. It is even more pronounced in places like North Carolina. I show him the way back and agree that we'll meet at the hotel to decide on dinner. With that, Roger, Bill and I head South on US 65 to pick up AR 27 East.

:tab Already the temperature has started dropping. There is no cloud cover at all so I expect it will only get colder. A mile or so East of town, we turn off of 27 onto 74. This section of 74 is just nice fast sweepers that follows a big creek, appropriately named... Big Creek :lol2: When we reach the "town" of Landis, the road turns South and becomes quite twisty and fun! It is about six miles of smooth motorcycle bliss... Soon though we hit AR 66 and head East. We are only on 66 for a few miles and then we cut North on AR 263. This is another GREAT road. The pavement is perfect and well marked. The woods come right up to the edge of the road, in places making it feel like we are riding through a tunnel. It brings us back up to AR 14 just South of Big Flat, appropriately named because the area is literally a "big" flat plateau surrounded by little valleys. We head East on 14 and reach the start of Push Mountain Rd.

:tab The sun is all but gone from the sky. It is getting quite cold. However, I just don't feel like stopping to get out the electric vest. I just want to push on and get back to the hotel. However, as the light fades, I bring the pace down considerably. Given the wooded nature of the area and the likelihood of deer or other critters, I don't want to take any chances. As the cold sets into my limbs, I can feel myself getting a little tense. Only a few more miles... It always seems like those last twenty or thirty miles take as much time as the first couple of hundred :doh: It is not that I am not enjoying the road and the ride, but there is just something that switches in the head that makes me ready to BE THERE! Soon enough though, we reach the hotel. Time to find Noah and think about dinner!

:tab After a few minutes of indecision, we decide to just order pizza and have it delivered to the hotel. This turns out to be a great idea. While waiting for the pizza to arrive, we get the bikes loaded up so we can make an early departure in the morning. After the pizza arrives we just hang out in Bill's room, checking out pictures by displaying them on the TV. Everyone seems to be pretty well beat, and after a short bit, we all head our separate ways.

:tab Sunday morning arrives and we get out last bit of luggage loaded into the truck and head out.

This was mostly green when we arrived Thursday night, this is Sunday morning
IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2407.JPG

This is the same tree from the pic on Thursday night when we arrived
IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

:tab The ride home was uneventful. Somewhere in Nacogdoches, we spot a yellow VFR on a trailer outside a fast food joint. Had to be Hugh's. He was supposed to meet up with his wife here today and then trailer on home from here. We roll into Huntsville about 5:30pm and start the process of unloading Roger and Noah's bikes so they can finish their trip home.

The kids really like the bikes...
IMG_2410.JPG

Daniel, Beth, and Sarah on Roger's FZ1
IMG_2411.JPG

She's pouting because he gets to drive :lol2:
IMG_2412.JPG

:tab It was an awesome trip, even if a bit cold at times. The trees were gorgeous. I would imagine that another week or so after we were there might have been either perfect or too late. Many of the trees were dropping their leaves before they really showed a lot of color. Traffic in Missouri was almost nonexistent. It is always heavier in Arkansas, but even there it was not bad at all. I think the only thing I needed for this trip was the heated grips. If all goes according to plan, those will be installed this weekend at the Mansfield Tech Day for stroms :trust:

I love following the header images at the top of the forum and finding myself in these old ride reports from years go, whether they are mine or someone else's. This trip was 12 years ago and yet still seems like it was yesterday. I don't think I will ever get used to that feeling. Daniel, the one sitting on the gas tank in the last image above is about to be 13 in another month or so. Sarah, the one sitting on the back will be 15 in December! :eek2: Both now ride with me all the time on my 1200 GS.

Back