• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWTEX invasion of pie town ride report+

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
it has been a long day in the saddle but a good one.
no where but New Mexico can you go from cold to hot to cold again in just 12 hours time!
I am not good with words so I will let the pictures do the talking.

the view back the way we came Friday on the road to Roswell, our base camp.
8eaea08c.jpg

the outflow winds were quite interesting!

taking a break in Socorro today
037-2.jpg

050.jpg

group picture
043.jpg

mama bird looking for her babies!!:rofl:

051.jpg

at first I thought I had ridden over 700 miles to not get any pie at a pie shop!! but it turns out they had a PB pie in the fridge.

048-1.jpg

I tried to hang the TXTEX banner here but they said (blank) NO!
058.jpg

The bikes gathered outside the Pie-O-Neer in Pie Town, NM
7390724534_2aa833c080_c.jpg

I forgot to do a "before" photo, so this is a "in the process of being devoured" photo
7390733090_72ce7fe1d9_c.jpg

If I remember the names correctly... Leon, Jim, Jeff, Kenneth
7390733942_ea9a155c2e_c.jpg

Abandoned service station next door
7390740656_835fae86f1_c.jpg

Now that it is broke in perhaps I can start riding it more
7390742996_fe767d1402_c.jpg

It hit 100K right here
7390743788_1f79e659e0_c.jpg

In case you didn't recognize the location from the prior photo
7390746352_6e71d6e167_c.jpg

Gotta represent!
7390749036_de775166e2_c.jpg

Still representing. That's a copy of Iron Butt Magazine I'm holding
7390749964_3dbe4606bb_c.jpg

Local residents of Alpine AZ
7390759188_d5a453b8ef_c.jpg

Some of the devastation from the Bear Wallow Fire near Alpine
7390760768_353efcc65a_c.jpg

More fire damage. It will take more than 100 years to get the forest looking the way it was. The two cousins responsible will most likely only get fines of $10,000 each.
7390762406_55a040bb72_c.jpg

North of Alpine, south of Springerville
7390765064_a9c657aa43_c.jpg

Between Springerville and Show Low
7390786592_2a5683a22b_c.jpg

It looks like the Pie Town ride consisted of three words:

Earth, Wind and Tires

:clap:

RB

Where is Mr. Pie?

good question, last I saw of him he was tumbling down the south face of pikes peak!!!:lol2:

just kidding, he is here in south Amarillo resting up for his visit to Palo Duro Canyon in the morning.

Too late for a burger at Arnold's? Texas shaped awesomeness on a bun.

On Washington a block north of 40...

Too late for a burger at Arnold's? Texas shaped awesomeness on a bun.

On Washington a block north of 40...

Er, as a local, (Canyon) I would not recommend Arnolds for food.......:doh:

I used to live in Springerville, and worked in Show Low. AWESOME roads.:rider:

Today is the anniversary of that "Pie Run" and also a day to pass on some sad news...

When we opened on Pi Day, 3.14.20, there was no way we could have known that it would be our first AND last day of the season. We expected to be open again in a couple of weeks…”when this is over.”

Then the pandemic changed everything. Now, as we all begin to come out of lockdown determined to find our new normal, it’s obvious that not every business will be able to adapt. While contemplating a future with no clear guidelines, we’ve come to the conclusion that – for us - it’s best to close permanently. This was not an easy decision.
In 1995 my family stumbled upon a pie-less Pie Town and we recognized an opportunity. Three generations of women with a lot of faith brought the pie back, like the Phoenix from the ashes. My mother, the driving force, set a high standard and we worked hard to maintain it. We were fortunate to experience the American Dream and are grateful beyond words for all of your support.

As Stanley and I begin the process of untying the apron strings in Pie Town we are actively searching for the next pie people to roll the pin. As for us, we will use our combined 65 years of hospitality experience to reopen the Silver Creek Inn in Mogollon, New Mexico in spring of 2021. We’ll still be baking pies, just not as many. Another opportunity recognized. The dream continues!

If you or someone you know is interested in more information about the Pie-O-Neer, please email me @ piepeople@gilanet.com

Quote Texas T: "More fire damage. It will take more than 100 years to get the forest looking the way it was. The two cousins responsible will most likely only get fines of $10,000 each."

7390762406_55a040bb72_c-jpg.jpg

Their fine was $3.7 million which they are paying at $500 each per month. In 308 years and 4 months they will be debt free. They also spent a weekend in jail. Don't leave your campfire unattended.

Nice trip. I'm jealous of the trip, but kind of glad that I didn't ride that far for pie. I have gone to most of the places you visited. Glad I went to Pie Town last year, but at a leisurely pace of a few hundred miles per day.

Looks like we will simply have a different place to visit for pie now :trust:

Sad news that Pie-O-Neer is closing. There really NEEDS to be a pie place in Pie Town.... Here's a photo from my visit:

P7133988_PerfectlyClear.jpg

Er, as a local, (Canyon) I would not recommend Arnolds for food.......:doh:

I used to live in Springerville, and worked in Show Low. AWESOME roads.:rider:
I used to live in Pinedale and in Show Low. Liked taking the 260 thru Pinetop and Lakeside to Springerville and down to Alpine on what used to be US 666 now US 191.

I’ve been to the Pie-O-Neer three times and never got pie. They were closed every time.

I’ve been to the Pie-O-Neer three times and never got pie. They were closed every time.
And now... you never will. At least not at the Pie-O-Neer unless someone steps up and buys it which isn't likely given today's business climate.

Very sad to hear of the closure. I've stop and enjoyed Kathy's pies countless times over the years. This is just one of many small businesses that we are losing to the COVID mess. Just a sad, sad situation for all of us.

Wow I have have seen Pie Town on the food channel.... Now it looks like they will be very close to the back country discovery route.https://ridebdr.com/nmbdr/

Back