• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tx Hwy 170

L

lonestarrider

I have heard that the highway between Presidio and Lajitas (TX HWY 170) is closed because of the recent tropical storms. Is it still closed and if it is when will it be reopened?

Article It's officially closed. There is a dirt detour that the county carved through the desert. I don't know the condition of that. I was there is mid-October and was able to get through the closed part on my Intruder. Report

Just there and you can now pass thru.
There is a road closed sign but just go around like everyone else!!!!!

Flood damage is evident and everything green is missing at lower elevations by the river.:giveup:

Wait! Isn't that the famed "River Road"? I still need to ride that someday. Are they planning to fix it?

Technically the River Road is the dirt road through BB park. 170 is paved (or used to be...) and follows the river so it is often call the River road.

They just finished putting all new pavement down on the 170 river road
about a year ago,,, It was nice,,,,, WAS,,,, Oh well......
Mike

Anyone give an updated report on this road? We are planning a trip down there the weekend of April 24 -27th and would appreciate the latest information.

We drove 170 Sunday morning on the way from Terlinqua to Ruidosa , the detour is fine well graded , any car can do it . This was my first time with more than two wheels . I always struggle trying to keep it below the speed limit , in the truck it is a lot easyer to drive the posted speed . My truck feels like it is wider than the lane in a lot of places and when we would top a hill I couldn't see the down slope over the hood . Now I understand why LEO thinks we are speeding when we ride at a sweet pace . SEYA

DPS task force is still in the Alpine, Fort Davis, Fort Stockton, Marathon, area
I was down there last weekend, Keep your speed down, Seems the locals got a little pissed, and only the tourist get the tickets, The locals get the warnings,,, In the middle of nowhere on a little traveled road there would be a DPS sitting on the side of the road,,,
And I just found out yesterday that the DPS can not legally detain a illegal
alien...................................
Mike

Just got back last night. 170 is paved with no detours but shows a lot of evidence of flooding. A herd of Aoudads crossed between my group and a some Harley's, saw numerous javelinas, deer and one bull elk. DPS from Persidio to Fort Davis was active...saw at least five pulled over. One of our riders is a DPS trooper and he knew about it also.
It is HOT down there now and there are a lot of riders. Make reservations or be prepared to camp.

DPS task force is still in the Alpine, Fort Davis, Fort Stockton, Marathon, area
I was down there last weekend, Keep your speed down, Seems the locals got a little pissed, and only the tourist get the tickets, The locals get the warnings,,, In the middle of nowhere on a little traveled road there would be a DPS sitting on the side of the road,,,
And I just found out yesterday that the DPS can not legally detain a illegal
alien...................................
Mike

You can bet there will be a trooper on 90 immediately east of Marathon.

Back