• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TxTag for MC

I have a TXTag account for both my cars with a transponder, for my bike I just logged on to my account and added the license plate of the bike, never got a tag for it.

I am on the Grand Parkway all the time with no issue, and have driven on Sam Houston Tollway 10-20 times (between 10 and 290 and 10 and 59) and never had a problem with it charging my TXTag account correctly. I have also been on the Katy Tollway, but I am pretty sure I rode through it in the HOV lane.

As Mike said, they just changed it. But, you still have to have your plates registered with your account in Houston. In Austin and the DFW area, you don’t have to have an account, they just charge a little more for the toll on the bill they send you in the mail.

I solved the transponder problem with some heavy duty velcro tape. Glued the hook part to the transponder and the loop part to my brake master cylinder lid. Slap the transponder on top of the master cylinder and your good to go, when you don't need the transponder take it off and stash it where you will.

Last edited:
Toll roads seem to be universal. I bought a Florida SunPass for $8 last year, when we attended Astros spring training. The State of Florida is riddled with toll roads in between regular open access freeways and I was tired of stopping every 20 or 30 miles when we had to cross one. As I understand it, the SunPass tag works with Florida, Georgia and South Carolina toll roads. That worked out well for us, but ...

Now, they say they are working on cross using the Texas Toll Tag system with the Florida Sun Pass system. I haven't checked recently but that was to happen last month. If it did I will have to scrape the SunPass off my windshield of get bill twice the next time we go.

I did a little research when I decided to buy the SunPass last year. In 2012 Congress gave the tolling entities 4 years to be totally interoperable. October 2016, was SUPPOSED to be the deadline. But because of Local, State and Federal agency squabbles it didn't happen. Each has to get the cut of the pie you know. When I looked into this, there were 16 separate local or state toll systems that didn't work with any of the others. Many of these agencies no longer have attendant toll booths, so you have to have a toll tag to use them. If you wanted to travel around the US on toll roads it is necessary to have 16 different tags on your Windshield. Find a spot for 16 toll tags on your motorcycle windshield.

Like many of you I believe it is short sighted of our politicians to allow localized tolls as a means to recover road construction costs. One thing that has made our country great is the stability and consistency of our highway system. It seems we are moving away from a national highway system to localized tolling, implemented with varying standards.

So, as a passive aggressive means of rebellion, I refuse to put a toll tag on any of my motorcycles windshields. I keep them all in either a pocket or in the tail section. About the only place I use the bikes on toll roads is in the Houston area and if I get billed at all (which is quite seldom), the toll is cross referenced from my license plate to my toll tag account for no extra charge. Should I ever happen to get stopped, I do have the tag and can show it. But how many times have you seen anyone get stopped going through a toll booth? I suspect it is as frequently as people get stopped for camping out in the left lane.

Also, on my bikes, I have found that I need to change lanes often, due to traffic congestion, right under the toll scanner. I therefore miss the inductive coil that activates the toll tag reader above. It is amazing how often I have to change lanes at that particular point! :trust: Just sayin...

Last edited:
Also, on my bikes, I have found that I need to change lanes often, due to traffic congestion, right under the toll scanner. I therefore miss the inductive coil that activates the toll tag reader above. It is amazing how often I have to change lanes at that particular point! :trust: Just sayin...
Yeah, odd how that happens...

Back