• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uh oh, not suppose to look like that

Monica

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'm troubleshooting a clutch issue on TTR125LE. It has trouble finding nuetral to start after warm. And right now its dying under slight load. Rekluse installed and making sure it is set correctly and things are in spec (which I highly doubt from issues ). I found these gears with marks and the bottom of the case with a layer of black gunk.. those need replacing right?

I haven't referenced a manual yet but input is welcomed on what you see. I do not know this bike yet we still havent bonded. It's still unfamiliar to me.

Attachments

• 20181028_131823.jpg
    20181028_131823.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 237
  • 20181028_131710.jpg
    20181028_131710.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 20181028_131745.jpg
    20181028_131745.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 248
Also registration is due in December so...no pressure

Monica, I am going to guess the black gunk to be a combo of clutch dust and oil, and that gear does not look right with the two notches in each tooth but without looking at the manual cant be sure.

By the way nice meeting you today.

Bud, it was good to meet you too. I think I need a new primary drive gear. Had a chance to look at the manual and it says to be careful of damaging teeth, so I think it needs replacing.

I think the gunk is some friction material too. I removed the friction plates and clutch plates to measure them. The clutch plates look darker than before but they are not warped out of spec (per manual). The friction plates all measure within spec, but one of them was about .003" less than the rest. I think it was the bottom or next to the bottom one. The darker clutch plates were sandwiching that friction plate, so guess it got hot.

I'm trying to reinstall everything but I can't get the gap right for the Rekluse. Each time I adjust the throwout it's too much or too little. Frustrating because it's not a complicated adjustment, it's just the turn of two nuts. I think I'll take a break, get a cold drunk and a snack and then try again.

I might need Carl.

I would definitely replace the worn gears. It's already apart. The black gunk described is probably clutch fiber as has already been said. Make sure you get all the metal shavings out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ok just ordered a new primary drive gear (apparently they'r on backorder so I don't feel so bad banging mine up. Hopefully it'll get here next week. Got a new clutch cable too, figured why not while I'm working on the system.

I think tonight I'll get the case flushed out and dig out the friction plate I pulled per Rekluse install instruction to replace the thinnest one, just so they match.

Also I'll dig out the needle bearing washer I managed to drop into the nethers of the case too :doh:

I hate it when that happens.

The gear on the clutch basket looks like it has a groove in atleast one tooth, possible corresponding with primary gear?

Well got the bike back together. Fished out the washer, literally with a magnet on a fishing wire lol Was able to get the gap set too. I put everything back together and filled it most the way with oil. Should be a problem when I replace the primary gear. My concern was leaving the case open for dust to get in there in the meantime, plus I could get the bike out of the way so I could park the truck.

Yeah the tooth mark is weird. I guess a chunk got bit off and rolled around for a while until it was crushed maybe? The corner of the teeth correspond with the top marks on the primary drive, but the bottom, I gotta figure that out how it all works together.

Also I can't remember the clutch basket being scratched up like that. I didn't see any contact marks on the case but sanded any high points or sharp cast edges just in case. I'm kind of stumped. I'll go see if I have pics from when I first got in there to see if it was like that.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I'll keep investigating with yalls questions in mind.

Check for bearing play too.

Bud, it was good to meet you too. I think I need a new primary drive gear. Had a chance to look at the manual and it says to be careful of damaging teeth, so I think it needs replacing.

I think the gunk is some friction material too. I removed the friction plates and clutch plates to measure them. The clutch plates look darker than before but they are not warped out of spec (per manual). The friction plates all measure within spec, but one of them was about .003" less than the rest. I think it was the bottom or next to the bottom one. The darker clutch plates were sandwiching that friction plate, so guess it got hot.

I'm trying to reinstall everything but I can't get the gap right for the Rekluse. Each time I adjust the throwout it's too much or too little. Frustrating because it's not a complicated adjustment, it's just the turn of two nuts. I think I'll take a break, get a cold drunk and a snack and then try again.

I might need Carl.

I will text you Carl's Number, I sent a text letting him know you will get it touch with him when needed.

Last edited:
Back