• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Unable to remove bolt- spins but does not lossen

JeffM

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am normally pretty mechanically competent, but I am unable to remove one of the bolts in-order to remove my seat.

The seat has two retaining bolts with the "nut" portion attached to the bracket..aka not a loose bolt but one attached to the mounting bracket.

Anyways I was able to unscrew one, but the other just spins freely in both directions. I felt around the back of the bracket and it does not seems as if the "nut" broke loose and is spinning freely with the bolt.

Only thing I can think is that the bolt is stripped, but I am unable to pull it out with vice-grips or get it to lift up at all. Normally, I should be able to pull it out or at least lift it out a little.

Any suggestions before I drill it out?

Hope I made sense.

If you can get something under the head to apply outward pressure while turning that might help. Otherwise, remove the head and find out what is wrong.

tried pulling it out with a vice grip and prying a flathead under but its too tight to fit one under the head.

lol well, don't have a dremel and the bolt is recessed almost up under the seat..I have seat fabric on one side and paint on the other..nice tight location ;)

I can try to get in there with the extension "wand" on the dremel, but I can't guarantee the results under those conditions... :cool2:

what Kurt suggested is the correct course of action. If you can't get the flathead under the bolt head, try getting it between the seat bracket and the frame mounting bracket.
Similarly, if you can reach behind, try pushing on the bolt while turning it.

Dave

Got it!
I managed to get the seat partially off enough to remove the seat bracket from the seat itself. Once the seat was removed was able to put major pressure on the back of the bolt and get it to turn.

Thanks for the help :)

Now the question is, was it the bolt or the welded on nut? If it was the bolt, I'd still chase the threads of the nut with a tap to clean them up.

It was the bolt, the middle of the bolt is smooth with no thread at all. :doh:

Went to the dealership and got two replacment bolts and asked for the specs so I can properly re-tap the threads. Heading over to a friends shop to "borrow" his tap set :sun:

Back