• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle and Nephew Ride the Cousins on NMBDR

Shared your pictures with my wife. Outstanding report. She says to me, "you'll be able to do that soon!" I'm gonna hold her to that. God willing, I will do so.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I know how much work ride reports are and espically if you're trying to do it on the go.

I've done the ride, or parts of it since the CDR uses some of the same route, a couple times now and I'm ready to go back. I love me some NM.

When you get to Abiquiu there's a little gas station there in town. If you get there early in the morning they have some breakfast burritos that are great!!!! The gas stations a grocery store to so you can get a little bit of just about anything there if you're needing supplies. It's on the CDR route so a lot of cyclists stop there so they're prepared.

I’d vote for “enjoy the ride and report later“, but really I’m selfish and wake up to see where y’all are at and how it’s going. I’m enjoying the details on bike issues.

This is from yesterday’s ride, technology wasn’t cooperating in my tent last night.

image1 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

First leg was Grants to Cuba. We got out of town pretty fast, best we could at 34 degrees. Got into the pines and aspens above 9K, nice riding.

image3 (1).jpeg

image4 (1).jpeg

image5 (1).jpeg

image6 (1).jpeg

Dropped into the desert pretty quick. Last pic in this bunch, cool lookout and you can see me on the far left.

So we are cruising along, road started getting a little vague, 2 track, then single track, for real? Double check GPS and sure enough we are still on the BDR. Quickly deteriorated and was more an erosion run off, we got in and out of it and eventually got up it, definite challenge on the loaded bikes. I almost unloaded to do it, but we made it. At the top was a gap gate from the WWII era. Got through and then did my normal visual checks of the bikes, KTMCarhart rear is flat. We got through it, dang nail.

image1 (1).jpeg

image4 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

image3 (1).jpeg

Then we head out of the desert and in to Cuba for lunch at El Bruno’s that was recommended by BDR folks. They were right, it was good, super nachos and sweet tea were on time, we were starving at 2pm. No tubes anywhere to buy. Then back into the mountains and pines, really nice riding, I could see big bikes being in heaven, sorry JMZ, no pie shops.

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

We took a quick break at Tea Kettle Rock, it looks out of place for sure.

image6.jpeg

image7.png

We head back down in to the desert and get to the Abiquiu Dam and the park is closed, dang it. The ride goes on, we follow the river road in to town....bad news, KTMCarhart has a flat again. We were fighting the sun, grabbed some beverages, aired it up and boogied out of town to the expert hard section and made a hasty camp. Wasn’t the best but we made it work, stars were incredible. Then we froze our butts off again. At that point we were hoping we can get the tire issue sorted and expertly make it over towards El Rito in the morning.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Last edited:
It might appear to the casual observer that KTMCarhart is hard on equipment :-P.

Day 6—Well, we definitely froze last night, brutal cold. We slimed the tire and hoped for the best. Got up before the sun, broke camp, hit the expert section. It was really rocky, nothing we couldn’t handle but definitely taxing. Good news was we warmed up quick, 30s or not. We didn’t get pics of the worst of it, not something you could pause and smell the roses. KTMCarhart will post videos later, he has an unbelievable amount of video from this trip. Most of the pics so far were me taking them and you see him. Once we get into video, it will be all me. Back to the ride, the really rocky stuff broke (thank goodness, KTMCarhart punishes me on the rocks), trail turned into rooted eroded pine forest, daddy likes that stuff much better. Good aspens today here and there as well.

image5.jpeg

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image6.jpeg

We continued north and had to make a decision. We were hungry, tired and a little beaten. Our plan was to end the day at a friend’s house in Angel Fire. Antonito was just too far north, we called an audible and got out of the forest at Hwy 64, buzzed across to Tres Piedras and ate lunch at Chili Line Depot, recommend. Came out and the KTM was flat again. Aired it up and then started having starting gremlins. Can’t catch a break. Left there and headed for Taos, need to get closer to friendlies. The Royal Gorge crossing was cool at the Rio Grande. Got to town and the KTM tire situation was done, no air or slime was working. Hit a bicycle shop we ran across and setup shop in the parking lot. They couldn’t help us. Made phone calls and I became the parts runner. South side of town had a tube, off I went, 4 miles took 20 minutes, Taos needs a flyover or a underground tunnel. Got back with the tube. Turns out the tire is damaged, not sure if combination of multiple run flat situations or the nail damaged the belts, but there was a slice on the inside with belts rubbing the tube. We got the bike back together with a new tube, filed down the belts on the inside best we could with a tube patch file deally whopper, used part of the old tube as a liner to protect that bad area. About wrapped that up, then found out about a stealth bad *** dirt bike guy in disguise not Googleable, Ken at KSP power tools. Off to the north side of town. Got there and he had an AC10 rear tire, totally snagged it, could have talked to him all day. Strapped it on my bike, felt like real adventure dudes, headed for Russia. Went back towards KTMCarhart, found him at a liquor store, classic. Finally out of Taos, made it to my friends house, Bad Bob and Sweet Brenda. Bob had cold beers ready and fajitas on the grill when we pulled up about an hour before sun set, with a view of Wheeler Peak. Sweet Brenda was in Santa Fe and snagged us a couple rear tubes. We had a couple cold ones, ate, showered and then got in the hot tub. Now that is what I am talking about. We have a interesting day planned tomorrow, lot of dirt from here and cool stuff as we head back towards my truck in Albuquerque. Winding down this adventure, but we have not yet begun to defile ourselves.

image8.jpeg

image7.jpeg
image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg

image14.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image13.jpeg

Attachments

• image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 195
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Nope nope nope, you guys have hooked us already. Y'all keep on making your reports at 2:38 in the morning.

I thought I read one time or another that the Grants to Cuba section was Heavy sand. How was it, am I wrong?

Last edited:
We got the bike back together with a new tube, filed down the belts on the inside best we could with a tube patch file deally whopper, used part of the old tube as a liner to protect that bad area.
The must have tool for any real adventure ride. Packs best with a whatchamacallit.

It might appear to the casual observer that KTMCarhart is hard on equipment :-P.

you would not be the first to accuse me of such.

:pound: KTMCarhart You are not helping with this perception. :shame:KsTeveM shame on you for carrying all those things to put in his tire, if you need a break just tell him.

I do hope your tire issues are behind you. Enjoy your time at your friends, those can be the best part of a trip.

How well is the improvised tire patch working? Good idea to use part of the old tube to cover the tire damage. 💯💪 Good luck on your journey and thanks for all the great pictures and story telling!

Patch is holding up. We are grabbing some lunch, about half way through today’s ride, been an interesting morning. Details later. The sand between Cuba and Grants.....nothing heavy. This entire trip there was never anything crazy. I do remember leaning back and hauling the mail a few times in sand, but we actually like sand. Might be different for a big bike person that doesn’t enjoy it or hammer down.

Back