• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around the Bend 2009 attendance list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Pink returns for an encore performance. We were there in 2007 just after it snowed and an ice storm. Obviously we didn't get to ride as much as we wanted as most of the roads were closed. We managed to have an adventure of epic proportions anyway :eek2: but are eagerly waiting on a return visit to the Bend. We have unfinished business there.:lol2:

Team Pink Members

Dave Hemphill aka "Uncle Dave", a Jayhawker
Gary Miller aka "snowball", an okie
Bill Dragoo aka "durtrider", another okie
Tim Edwards aka, "yet to be determined" or should I say earned, :rofl: another jayhawker

More members may be added later

Can't wait, it should be great.....

Zugg Zugg is in. I am also bringing a buddy. This will be my first ride with fellow TWT riders. Man, am I looking forward to it!

Team Pink returns for an encore performance. We were there in 2007 just after it snowed and an ice storm. Obviously we didn't get to ride as much as we wanted as most of the roads were closed. We managed to have an adventure of epic proportions anyway :eek2: but are eagerly waiting on a return visit to the Bend. We have unfinished business there.:lol2:

Team Pink Members

Dave Hemphill aka "Uncle Dave", a Jayhawker
Gary Miller aka "snowball", an okie
Bill Dragoo aka "shadetree", another okie
Tim Edwards aka, "yet to be determined" or should I say earned, :rofl: another jayhawker

More members may be added later

Can't wait, it should be great.....

Let's go....any more news. Any tracks to share?

Let's go....any more news. Any tracks to share?

Here's the latest news from Big Bend, as of Jan 3rd.

The river is still high, but the flood waters have receeded. All the roads affected by the flood are now re-opened, with the exception of River Road in the park. The west end of River Road is closed but the east end is open, allowing access to the southern end of Black Gap Rd. I will be surprised if River Road is still closed in Feb.

Hwy 170 is re-opened, though there is a short bypass just east of Presidio. The bypass is a graded rock road but can be ridden by any motorcycle.

There is a new camping hostel open for business in Terlingua, next door to the Boathouse Restaurant/Bar. It is called Las Ruinas Camping Hostel. I don't know much about it but believe it has a kitchen, showers, and toliet. It also has some nice looking "Miner Tents" for rent if you want to camp but don't have a tent. Call "The Boathouse Restaurant and Bar" to make reservations.

:clap: That makes me happy!!!!

All the roads affected by the flood are now re-opened, with the exception of River Road in the park. The west end of River Road is closed but the east end is open, allowing access to the southern end of Black Gap Rd. I will be surprised if River Road is still closed in Feb.

I heard a rumor that a certain rider (who shall remain nameless) did the entire River Road while down there with the Desert Rats. I don't know how legal that might or might not be, but I can say that if it's not open by the end of Uncle's ride, that I'll probably chance it anyway.

:clap: That makes me happy!!!!

I heard a rumor that a certain rider (who shall remain nameless) did the entire River Road while down there with the Desert Rats. I don't know how legal that might or might not be, but I can say that if it's not open by the end of Uncle's ride, that I'll probably chance it anyway.

You talking about *****? You couldn't get him to stop talking about how nice (and difficult) it was. Long silt beds and sand. Virgin silt beds even. He suggested I that I shouldn't try it on the Transalp. I'll bet he fesses up anyway. No visual evidence he was there anyway because he didn't stop and take pictures.

You talking about *****? You couldn't get him to stop talking about how nice (and difficult) it was. Long silt beds and sand. Virgin silt beds even.

Yep that would be him. And I'm really kicking myself for not having the same chance to go and do the same thing. Man, that would have been oh so sweet.

Well good for him. He is has more guts than me. When I was down there at there at end of October the west end was closed. I entered through the east end and went down the GAP and rode for about another 10 miles or so and got tired and turned around. I was a little tired from the first day of riding and if I was with another rider I probably would of tried the whole run but did not want to wipe out or get stuck with the "unknow" in the middle of the Chihuahan Desert. I am really getting pumed up about this trip and truth be said I wish it was at the end of this month cause "I AM READY TO ROLL!!!" Anyway looking forward to meeting everyone and listening and learing from the veterans trail blazers!

You talking about *****? You couldn't get him to stop talking about how nice (and difficult) it was. Long silt beds and sand. Virgin silt beds even. He suggested I that I shouldn't try it on the Transalp. I'll bet he fesses up anyway. No visual evidence he was there anyway because he didn't stop and take pictures.

He that will not be mentioned, continued to remind us well after you left :lol2:

Riding. I'm thinking of leaving on Wednesday afternoon which will require a night some where.

Skup, As of right now my brother is coming with me. We are planning on leaving Monday morning camping in the park mon, tues, and weds. As of now we are not planning on pulling a trailor. If he bails out I will let you know.

Re: Uncle's Around the Bend 2009- QUESTIONS

I'm in! This sounds great. I'm a rookie at this, so excuse the dumb questions.

How far in between gas stops?

Is there a place with water and electricity for my toy hauler?

Stan

Re: Uncle's Around the Bend 2009- QUESTIONS

I'm in! This sounds great. I'm a rookie at this, so excuse the dumb questions.

How far in between gas stops?

Is there a place with water and electricity for my toy hauler?

Stan

There is an RV park in Study Butte, and another in Terlingua itself.

Gas stops are determined by whichever route you choose to ride. Mostly we meet for breakfast and group up with riders that want to go the same way that day. Nothing is set in advance, it is (as Richard says) a non-event event.

I just spent last week in Big Bend. Two locations for gas.

• Just out side the park near the city of Terlingua. Intersection of 170 and 118 comming into the park on the west side. Two gas stations located at the intersection.
  • In the middle of the park at the intersection of 118 (or Maverick Dr) and 385. Also listed as Big Bend Headquarters and visiter Center (Panther Junction). One station located there.
Those are the only ones I found.

If you can make it 100 miles on tank then you can do a lot of riding there. You still need to be careful, but that will get you on a lot of good roads.

Other gas station is in Rio Grande village, far south east corner of the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back