• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around The Bend 2016: Ride Report Stories, Photos and More

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a pic, but he and I got it up and running Sunday night. The clutch leaver is broken, the tank a bit banged up and the rear wheel it totally taco'd. But all in all it really is not in bad shape. if the rear wheel was alright we would have been ripping around Terlingua on it.

Lots of guys buy new rims and spokes. If the hub is ok, then it sounds like he is in business. Wonder what other bikes have a direct swap on wheels?

I wish there was a bone yard in Terlingua. Guys were looking for batteries, levers, and other odd bits.

I've been told I had a few odd bits...

:nana:

Lots of guys buy new rims and spokes. If the hub is ok, then it sounds like he is in business. Wonder what other bikes have a direct swap on wheels?

I wish there was a bone yard in Terlingua. Guys were looking for batteries, levers, and other odd bits.

Pete's little CB is more or less identical to every little bike in Mexico those wheels and stuff are a dime a dozen down there. I'm pretty sure he has a plan to get it up and going, and if I know Pete he's already figured out how to do it for free...

Great time!
Wonderful Rally - Special thanks to Peter and Crew
741d1b3f550ee6165b5dbac303cee7e2.jpg

(Top of Black Gap - looking South)

^^ Hey...that's my Honda!

Had a great time and met a few new friends with whom I'll be traveling to Mexico next month. Really looking forward to that trip.

Thanks to Peter and Sid and everyone else that helped for putting together a great rally.

Any pics from the dos-y-dos Black Gap crossing?
I was up there with Sid and group.

I have pictures of the group that rode up black gap with me!! Before I flatted, rode 2 miles, flatted again, and hid under a reflective space blanket until my dad came to the rescue in a truck just in time to make it to the hot springs:sun: I'll upload pictures tonight (includes a ct90 riding out of the gap, and a frame by frame crash).

I always enjoy the stories after the rally. Keep them coming. I am finally home after a week+ detour to Phoenix for some project work after Big Bend. I slept like a baby in my own bed for the first time in 15 days last night. We did get in one day trip from Phoenix to Jerome, AZ and the ride and view were incredible. I am about to start sorting out who did and did not get a tee shirt, expect an email!

The little CB125 got smacked down pretty good. But, it was already a silly project, one without a front brake system, and about ready to become a bare bones cafe or dirt only scrambler. It's sitting sadly on a stand in Phoenix awaiting my tools and a new wheel. Should be running the mountains of Arizona this summer.

The 1960 bus survived the trip just fine, still running on all 6 with 4 forward speeds, at the pace of a fat turtle! Parked in Phoenix now ready for our new life this summer.

Attachments

• 20160227_072007.jpg
    20160227_072007.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 20160227_072028.jpg
    20160227_072028.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 11024600_10203768234435037_8698397964389904750_n.jpg
    11024600_10203768234435037_8698397964389904750_n.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
On a sad note, I got a letter (copied to a few other ranch owners, the host hotel, and the Brewster County Sheriff) from a landowner who lives on North County Road. After filtering out the reactionary nonsense of being called "those people", drunk men going wilding, unfeeling, insensitive and other preposterous allegations of character is a letter written from the heart describing how groups of (allegedly Uncle's) riders destroyed flower and fauna, trespassed, and caused damage to property and roads in Terlingua Ranch. While we, as a group, are in fact invited guests of multiple, multiple property owners within the ranch (never named publicly as it would cause hostility within the Terlingua Ranch community), it is imperative we respect the wishes of individuals who have moved / visit Terlingua Ranch because it is indeed remote, wild, quiet, peaceful, and sublime. Our individual actions, if indeed it was members of this group inflicting said damage, reflect on all of us as riders and people of character. And collectively it reflects on the Uncle's rally and impacts it's future. I'm taking into consideration the sentiment of this individual ranch owner and will propose ways to work with Terlingua Ranch for the next rally. I know this general topic is old news to many of you, and some have had issues in this area in the past. It will probably never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. But, this is the kind of backlash that we can expect if respecting the residents of the Terlingua area aren't taken to heart.

Side note, for anyone who witnessed a white ranch truck with water tank in Terlingua Ranch trying to physically run over motorcyclists... I take rider safety and intentional malicious harmful acts much more seriously.

And of course, please note that this is a public forum and Terlingua Ranch landowners are reading this thread. Anything you write about activities as invited guests of friends in the Ranch will surely be read and reread in the most negative light possible. So please be non-reactionary, respectful, and truthful in your comments. And think before you write....it could be read again in church.

Our individual actions, if indeed it was members of this group inflicting said damage, reflect on all of us as riders and people of character. And collectively it reflects on the Uncle's rally and impacts it's future.

I'm going to add this here just to get it out of the way and get it off my chest, but I am aware of the party of 6 I think it was that walked the check at the Starlight during the event, because food was late in arriving. :thumbd::thumbd::thumbd:

This was a boorish move and reflects poorly on the entire group. I hope someone in the responsible party reads this and realizes their behavior also reflects badly on the group as whole, and contacts the Starlight to make amends.

Thank you Peter and Sid, and other large group organizers like Richard, who front all the grief on our behalf and still put forth the effort to make memories that last a lifetime for participants. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This was my first Uncle's rally and I loved it. Thanks to all the organizers! I did the desert challenge, something like 7 hours and 200 miles of focus and concentration. On saturday, me and the girlfriend went down Old Maverick. It was her first time on dirt with the XT225, that's her in front of Santa Elena canyon. Maybe she'll be ready for next year!

I have to say I am a bit jealous of your girlfriend's enthusiast towards dirt riding. My wife loves adventure, just not on two wheels. It was a pleasure having you guys along for the rally. Hope to see you next year.

It will probably never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I expect that is a sad fact. Folks live out there for a reason and solitude must surely be a large part of it. The simple fact of our being there seems unacceptable - regardless. I'm not sure there can be any reasonable resolution with some extremist individuals in this case.

Truth is, we ARE ambassadors for the motorcycling community every time we ride - none more so than off-road folks. It's just part of the responsibility we have these days.

One of my thoughts as I was leaving the park was that there were so many more people and buildings and even a school than when I first visited in the 70s.

If it was an Uncles participant then I suggest we all make some form of restitution in the form of a charitable donation In Uncles' name to the local school or other worthy charity. Let's be known for our good deeds.

One of my thoughts as I was leaving the park was that there were so many more people and buildings and even a school than when I first visited in the 70s.

If it was an Uncles participant then I suggest we all make some form of restitution in the form of a charitable donation In Uncles' name to the local school or other worthy charity. Let's be known for our good deeds.

I'm in - how about a Gofundme account?

https://www.gofundme.com/

Perhaps check with Voni for the best way to allocate to the community? Do we want to reach out to the Starlight too?

On a sad note, I got a letter (copied to a few other ranch owners, the host hotel, and the Brewster County Sheriff) from a landowner who lives on North County Road.
Ouch, I hate that this happened. One of my fears of riding with large groups or events. Was just talking to another rider the other day about riding in Mexico with large groups. I love the company, meeting new folks & learning. But sometimes I feel strongly about leaving a small foot print where I go.
I agree with Phil & SL350....doing something for that community speaks volumes.

Great idea! I too miss BB.

RB

986plu.jpg

Last edited:
Sent a message to Shadman asking if we could donate through him for repaying Starlight for the walked check and any left over could be donated in Uncles name to a local charity. He thought it a good idea and agreed to handle it. He also suggested we donate to TWT.

I am going to Paypal Shadman a few bucks and if anyone else could that would help.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Everyone must realize, this is a small remote comunity living a small comunity lifestyle, that is why they are here. Things don't happen with a Houston/Dallas pace or flair. They do the best with what they have and are some of the friendliest people I have yet to meet, this is my reason for coming back.

Unfortunately, a large influx of visitors at one time is bound to have the few that think they, because they are out there spending their city money, should be catered to and have the run of the place while they are there.

When we are there remember this... We are visitors, NOT royalty, therefore slow your roll, get on Terlingua Time and respect that which is not yours...

I am going to Paypal Shadman a few bucks and if anyone else could that would help.

I'll reach out to the Glaves if everyone's OK with that and see what might be a good local cause to support, then we could do a Gofundme account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back