• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around the Bend - Feb 19-22, 2009, Big Bend

Last time I was there, it was no big deal. I am bringing 5-10 gallons of premium anyway, just because it's even easier, but there were never lines at the couple different gas stations I visited.
Depends on gas availability, too. The BB Motel station was out of gas one day last year. Only gas was at Study Butte store.

Hmmm... I've never had an issue with getting gas or long lines. I never even thought about bringing extra gas :shrug: I just filled up each day after the ride. There were no lines. Now at Kathy's in the morning... the breakfast line can get pretty long :eat:

If we are tent camping; Is there a large supply of tint sites. Do we need to make reservations, or can we just show up and be able to find a place to pitch a tent?

Bob,

The only free camping I know of is in Gareth Park, next to Uncle's place. In the past I would have said there would be plenty of open ground in Gareth Park to pitch a tent. I suspect that might not be the case this year because about twice as many riders are attending.

Yes! From the park report today:

>Grapevine Hills Road is high clearance recommended. Access roads to Gravel Pit 4, Solis 3 and Talley
3 are closed. Woodsons and Jewels Camp 2 campsites are closed. River Road West is 4WD
recommended. A flying club will be in the area February 6-8. Expect 5-20 small aircraft along the river
corridor.

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/upload/DAILYREPORT.pdf

Voni
sMiling

Is an OHV sticker required to ride in Big Bend????????????

Is an OHV sticker required to ride in Big Bend????????????

No. All the roads in Big Bend National Park are public roads and can be driven/ridden by any street legal vehicle. There are no public off-road riding areas I'm aware of in the region.

Unless the State Park starts to open up then, as I understand it, you will need one there. I doubt that will be happening soon though.

Unless the State Park starts to open up then, as I understand it, you will need one there. I doubt that will be happening soon though.
Bikes are not allowed on the back country roads in the State Park, but they are on the 'front' country roads. (that is due to change soon) Regardless, I think the decals are still required.

I suggest picking up a map from the Barton Warnnock Center on HWY170 (3 miles E of Lajitis and 9 miles W of Terlingua) and requesting verification from a ranger on which roads on the map bikes can navigate on.

The near future of bike use in BBSP are progressing towards our favor, but we want to maintain a friendly and respectful profile during this process. All it takes are a few 'negative' incidents for all that forward progress to slide backwards.

Bikes are not allowed on the back country roads in the State Park, but they are on the 'front' country roads. (that is due to change soon)

Wait, is this the story I read wayyyy back when? Something like they allow jeeps, trucks, and everything else, but street legal motorcycles aren't allowed?

Wait, is this the story I read wayyyy back when? Something like they allow jeeps, trucks, and everything else, but street legal motorcycles aren't allowed?
In essence, yes. But the issues have been rather complicated. Additionally, new management policies, preparation, etc needed to be implemented before the changes are official. This is downtrickle from very recent changes in Austin.

I learned what the current albeit unofficial status was at the time I was there over the Holidays. And I'm reluctant to say anything until it is official; it would only cause more confusion than there is presently.

It might even be official as of now; I don't know for sure and that is why I highly suggest stopping in at the Center to check on where bikes are currently allowed.

Since I can't edit my own post, I was going to add there are many changes in the works for both the National and State parks including the Christmas Mnt. area. It will take awhile for those changes to occur as they are all still in the planning (and even legal) process. Some of them affect riding bikes in those areas (mostly the state park).

This is why I can't emphasize enough that we need to be on our best behavior as a motorcycle community. Our behavior will affect future decisions and reflect our community overall. Remember, if we don't police ourselves, they will for us.

(had a discussion recently with riders in other Western states that really demonstrates why this is important)

I am planning on ridding my klr 650 from san antonio to big bend. how can I take the most senic route and how would i go about finding someone to go with me.

Thanks

In essence, yes. But the issues have been rather complicated. Additionally, new management policies, preparation, etc needed to be implemented before the changes are official. This is downtrickle from very recent changes in Austin.

Is that thread still alive? I'd like to post some thoughts, but don't want to muddy this one up.

Is that thread still alive? I'd like to post some thoughts, but don't want to muddy this one up.
Probably, but I have no idea where it is. I suspect it was another 'off-topic' digression :mrgreen:

I agree; let's not clog this thread with OT stuff. You could start a new thread somewhere devoted to this topic or these issues.

I am planning on ridding my klr 650 from san antonio to big bend. how can I take the most senic route and how would i go about finding someone to go with me.

Thanks

Welcome to the site Bryan! :wave:

:tab Once you get out to Del Rio, there aren't a whole lot of road options for heading West other than US 90. Most of the roads out there run North/South between I-10 and US 90. You'd have to venture pretty far out of the way to hit any of the unpaved stuff.

:tab As for finding someone to ride out with you, just post in the DS general forum something along the lines of "San Antonio to Big Bend for Uncle's Ride" and see what turns up.

I want to ride around this....

Big freaking hole in the ground...

My topo maps show roads that circumnavigate it. However, when I was last out there, we came to a locked gate that I think was the BBSP? The roads eventually come all the way around and back up to Casa Piedra. Anyone ever done this loop?

Last edited:
I want to ride around this....

Big freaking hole in the ground...

My topo maps show roads that circumnavigate it. However, when I was last out there, we came to a locked gate that I think was the BBSP? The roads eventually come all the way around and back up to Casa Piedra. Anyone ever done this loop?
That is Solitario, in the BB STate Park. It is the park's 'jewel'. :mrgreen:

If you do ride up to Casa Piedra, let me know. My MD's aunt lives there and she oversees a little 'museum' there. Dr. Vasquez told me she loves to tell stories about the area (Vasquez's were one of the two families to settle the area S of Marfa and N of the park.)

That is Solitario, in the BB STate Park. It is the park's 'jewel'. :mrgreen:

If you do ride up to Casa Piedra, let me know. My MD's aunt lives there and she oversees a little 'museum' there. Dr. Vasquez told me she loves to tell stories about the area (Vasquez's were one of the two families to settle the area S of Marfa and N of the park.)

Can you ride around it?

Can you ride around it?
If I recall, yes and no. ;-)
A backroad leads up to the base, but only hiking trails lead up to the top. I don't recall if it is 2WD or 4wshigh-clearance/jeep/truck/classed. But not around it.

I forgot to also mention previously that the park is working towards opening the road that runs N-S as a north entrance/exit road. This is one of those issues that entails dealing with state/county/private ownership/access. Now, that road I look forward to riding from Marfa S through Plata and Casa Piedra.

Back