• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Ride the Rio - Feb 21 - 24, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Uncle's Ride the Rio Non-Event
Feb 21 - 24, 2008
Dual sport and Street Riding in the Big Bend

Big Bend is full of fantastic motorcycling adventures. From one of the best twisty paved roads in Texas (Hwy 170 from Terlingua, TX to Presidio, TX) to the best dual sport road in Texas (Pinto Canyon Road), Big Bend is a motorcycling paradise. It doesn't matter whether you ride a street-only motorcycle, an adventure touring bike, or a true "street legal dirt bike" there are a wealth of riding opportunities for all motorcyclists in the Big Bend area.

Uncle's Ride the Rio Non-Event: Uncle is pleased to sponsor this "non-event" event and invites all motorcyclists to join him the last weekend in February for a long weekend of motorcycling adventure. Ride, trailer, or otherwise get you and your bike out to Big Bend on or around Thursday, Feb 21th. Spend Friday and Saturday exploring the Big Bend. Head home on Sunday.

Is this the same Ride the Rio event that's been put on for the past 12 years or so? Yes and no. The gentleman who has been the primary organizer of the Ride the Rio event since it was started a dozen or more years ago decided to move on to other things. Uncle thought the Ride the Rio was too much fun to let die so he stepped up to continue the tradition, with a few changes - namely making it a non-event event and to encourage increased participation by dual sport/adventure riders.

What is a "non-event" event? It means this ride isn't like other organized rides & rallies. No sign up. No registration fee. No banquets. No set schedule to follow. Just show up, ride, and have a great time. Whether you attend by yourself or bring your friends, there will be others to ride with. Ride when you want, where you want, in the middle of winter and in the middle of nowhere. Team up and head out on an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come on out early. Or stay a few days late. Uncle will be around and he's a friendly guy. He can recommend roads to ride, or ride with you, or drink a beer with you, or even toss a few horseshoes with you in the evening (especially if you are buying the beer).

Morning & Evening: Riders are invited to converge each morning at 9 a.m. at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe to meet up, find someone to ride with, and/or select the day's route. Come early if you want breakfast or to enjoy Kathy's campfire. Each evening there will be an informal rider gathering on the front porch of the Starlight Theater to drink a few beers, grab a meal, and share the adventures of the day.

Sleeping: Need a place to sleep? Grab a room at one of the local motels; there are several to choose from.

Uncle suggests the new El Dorado hotel in Terlingua as the "uncle approved" hotel of choice. It is a nice place to stay and is centrally located. Single rooms are $79 per night, doubles are $89 per night. Their phone number is 432-371-2111. Tell 'em Uncle sent you.

There are camp sites at the Study Butte Motor Lodge where you could pitch a tent for a few dollars. Or if room is available you might pitch your tent at Uncle's place. Or whatever.

Dirt or Street? Is this a dual sport event or a street bike event? Yes! It doesn't matter what you ride, there will be places to ride and people to ride with, so come on out. You won't regret it.

There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed, especially if you are a Texas motorcyclist.

Uncle's got a nice DR350 dual sport bike and will probably be leading a dual sport ride off into the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to go play in the dirt at Big Bend this is a wonderful opportunity.

What if you don't have a motorcycle? That's okay, come on out anyway. There is lots of cool stuff to do in Big Bend in the middle of the winter and the weather is nice. Besides, we are probably going to need a designated driver or two each evening.

Who's In Charge Here? No one. You are. This is a non-event. No one is in charge and there isn't anyone to complain to if things aren't organized the way you would like them to be. Tell someone where you are riding to, though, so if you don't come back in the evening someone can alert the authorities to go looking for you.

Will it be Fun? Yes! No question about it! We are going to have so much fun, everything else may pale in comparison. If you haven't ridden in Big Bend before you simply don't know what you are missing. If you have, then you already know how much fun it is. In any case, if you miss it, you only have yourself to blame.

T-shirts? Stickers? I'm happy to report that dual sport adventure rider Ken Haley has designed a special commemorative shirt for Uncle's 2008 Ride the Rio. Ken made the shirts for the 2007 TAR and they came out great - highly quality screen printing on a quality t-shirt.

T-shirts are $15, Sweatshirts are $20 for sizes S - XL. Add $1 for each extra X (XXL t-shirt = $16, XXL sweatshirt = $21, etc.).

If you would like a Ride the Rio t-shirts then paypal your order, shirt size, & payment to Ken at kdhaley@hotmail.com.

Ken will deliver the shirts at the event.

Can we ride in Mexico? Not only yes, but we think you should seriously consider it. Actually, there is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need a passport or any paperwork to visit it either; just cross the border and head south, you can't miss it. For you dual sport riders, I've heard there is some good off-road riding in the desert outside Ojinaga. Somebody needs to go explore that area and get back to us with a good ride report.

In short, if you can't have fun on a motorcycle in Big Bend, you can't have fun on a motorycle. So, pack your bags and come on out. You are gonna have a great time. See you there.

Last edited:
For those that have never been there, you might tell where Kosmic Kathy's is located and/or how to contact Uncle.

For those that have never been there, you might tell where Kosmic Kathy's is located and/or how to contact Uncle.

Good idea. Thanks, Tourmeister.

Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe is located on Hwy 170, about a mile west of the junction of Hwy 170 and Hwy 118.

Uncle can be contacted via phone at 580-364-2616 or email at rogerhazlewood@netscape.net

It is hard to miss Kathy's, it is pink!
obj454geo368pg1p26.jpg

... and if you are this many, as it was a week ago... let her know the count in advance. If you have never been here, well, you are in for a treat...

211522061-XL.jpg

Be well... Ara & Spirit

This sounds like a lot of fun and a great test for my new Ulysses. I am going to do my best to make this one.

I had the pleasure to ride the road from Presido to Terlingua in October last year. I cant tell you how much I enjoyed it, I was with two wild men who were really fast and we rode that road really fast from beginning to end. I was all for turning around and doing it again the other direction. We stopped to drink a beer at the place where you can turn out and throw rocks at Mexico. The whole time we were there I was secretly afraid the overhanging huge rocks would decide to let gravity have its way and fall on the three of us. I have had the want to go back again and do it all over again. How cold it it out there in February? The first week in last October was real nice with warm days and cold nights. The first of each days ride was a bit chilly but nothing to stop you if you have the right gear at hand. I just don't know about February, feed back anyone?

Big Bend weather is nothing if not fickle. The Oilman and I did our version of Ice Capades last Easter. 2-3 inches of ice on everything including us. By the next day, suns out temp's rising. We had the park virtually to ourselves. Next day? Stupendous sunrise standing around a great mesquite fire at Kathy's on the way to 65 degrees (maybe it just felt like 65 degrees) and one of the best days you can have on a bike.

Just plan accordingly and you'll be fine.

Chris,

I think the temps will be pleasant during the day and cold at night. It's the last weekend in Feb, so I'm figuring the temps will reach the mid-60s to low 70s during the day and high 30s / low 40s at night.

Sounds good to me. I don't like riding in a strange place at night at any speed to speak of. Last time out there I saw way to many signs of auto deer accidents and I don't want to clobber some other four footed critter while riding at night. So I will be found in a nice warm bed after the sun goes down. 60 to 70 degrees will sit well with me for day time temps. I bought a heated vest a couple of years ago and have never been so glad to have one. I am almost 60 years young and the heat from that vest helps keep my lower back nice and comfortable and pain free. I also found a pair of Joe Rocket textile gloves about 3 years ago that absolutely do not allow moisture or cold in, and are very comfortable to wear. Have worn them into the single digit numbers on the temp gage with no problems. I am going to put my name on the calender at work for those days off so I can go. I really loved the roads down there and the absence of police in my mirrors. I would be interested in finding someone to perhaps share the cost of hotel charges if someone can be found. The hotel charges ate up a good bit of my budget for the ride last year. Last year I make the mistake of taking too much stuff along, this year I would take one change of clothing against the chance of a clothing disaster on the ride other wise would just wear the same stuff the whole time. Just don't ride right behind me if your nose is sensitive. Laughing.

Chris,

Thanks for stopping to say hello this morning when you spotted us in the Albertson's parking lot in Oak Hill. It was nice to meet you.

I checked my work schedule and I am working days that weekend. Since I have already put in for vacation to the TAR I dont have any left to do this one. I would love to do it and guess I will have to put it on my list for 09

I hope to make this one!!!! Hope to find a friend to ride with on Urals!! OLD SLOW GUY should be my name!!!! BUT I don't fall over!!;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) :rider: :rider: :rider: :rider: :rider:

Hey Richard it was a total surprise when you all said yes to my question about being TWT members. I wish I had more time to sit and talk right then but I had issues at home to take care of. It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope I get a chance to meet with your group sometime. I hope the rain did not dampen your ride too much Saturday. Thanks again for introducing your self it was a pleasure.

I am going to make this one as well . I always try to make the BB outings . The last one in October (the Burl memorial) was in fact a good combination of racing and trail riding . Fred Hink of arrowhead motorsports in Moab Utah runs his cmc the very same way , using it as a non-event event! Sounds like fun . Roger and Richard should be commended for puting on a fine event like this!! THANKSguys . . . .I'LL see you there . Mike McSpadden :rider:

I'm considering this one.

Does anyone know who to contact about renting one of the cabins in the area?

Last edited:
Does anyone know who to contact about renting one of the cabins in the area?

Jim the Chisos Mining Co. Motel (aka) Easter Egg Valley Motel has cabins. Their # is 432 371 2254. Wildhorse Station alos has cabins. Their # is 432 371 2526. Also the Chisos Mining Co. Is located next door to Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe.

Thanks for the info on the cabins...I will make reservations today. We have 3 or 4 of us planning on coming from Dallas. Sounds like a great trip. Always wanted to get to Big Bend and this seems like the best reason yet. See ya in February.

Put me down as a maybe as well for this one. It looks like something that I could have quite a bit of fun on with my WR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back