• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Unprepared

Reaction score
This morning it’s 34 outside here in northwest Houston and not feeling so good with a cough and runny nose, I decided to drive the cage to work. I was a little surprised to see a motorcycle behind me on the freeway so I moved over and slowed down a little to see what he was riding and gear he was wearing. Being a relatively new rider I check all you fellow riders out lol

The bike was a Harley fat boy and to my surprise, he was wearing a regular ball cap turned backwards, no gloves, what looked like a carhart jacket, blue jeans and boots.

He passed me going about 70. My first thought was this guy is high, drunk or dumb. Following him now I notice him flinging his left arm around and putting it in his coat pocket it. He slowed down suddenly so I moved over and passed. Pretty sure he had both hands in his pocket trying to get them unfroze lol.

I continued on and leave him way behind as he doesn’t speed back up. Who in their right mind would ride like that in such cold weather?!

Ha, bragging rights at work probably. Never understood those Harley guys.
That being said, my wife and I only have one car and a bike so on days she has to have the car I have to ride. It's made for some interesting mornings for sure.

One time, we'd had an overnight cold snap and it went down to the 20's. On the way to work I saw a guy on a sport bike in shorts and t-shirt. Guess he didn't check the weather before crashing at his girlfriends house for the night. Was hoping he didn't have far to ride.

I gave up trying to look cool years ago. It's not worth the hassle.

Last little cold spell a few weeks ago I saw similar on Katy Freeway, looked like a mechanic riding his Harley, just wearing a bandana, button up short sleeve shirt, dockers and boots, probably 40°F. I was doing 70 in the HOV, he was doing at least 10 over that in the regular lanes.
Whatever floats your boat, hope you don't die.
I had my full face helmet with baklava, fleece jacket, vest and jacket liner, mesh jacket, winter gloves, jeans with sweat pants over them and boots. Plus I have a windscreen and hand deflectors.
I was almost comfortable.

I enjoyed a 50 mile round trip over the weekend. It was 39*, drizzly, and foggy. But I was dressed to the 9s for the weather, and stayed warm & cozy, except my chilly fingers.

And I had a specific purpose - buy a new pair of winter gloves, and give them a good test on the ride home. Sadly, none of the gloves I was looking for were in stock, so I rode back home with chilly fingers.

I enjoyed a 50 mile round trip over the weekend. It was 39*, drizzly, and foggy. But I was dressed to the 9s for the weather, and stayed warm & cozy, except my chilly fingers.

And I had a specific purpose - buy a new pair of winter gloves, and give them a good test on the ride home. Sadly, none of the gloves I was looking for were in stock, so I rode back home with chilly fingers.
Chilly fingers can be very distracting

In the late 70's my only transportation was an old Jeep CJ5 with no top. Many cold days driving to work. We do what we have to do. I guess it beat walking or staying home with no pay :-)

I plan to ride in tomorrow although it is suppose to get down to 29 tonight. Roads are dry so there shouldn’t be any ice. Like you guys I have all the gear so I can ride comfortably enough. That dude this morning was just nuts though lol

Back