• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Utility/Motorcycle Trailer

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
Greetings Mates...

I have a 6 x 10 Top Hat utility trailer. I want to add two wheel chocks that can be installed when needed, removed when not needed. I'm leaning towards recessed tie downs, etc.

I remember seeing one at the Hill Country 500, maybe hamsracing had one?

Anyhoot... Maybe you could upload photo's or descriptions of yours?

kman198

Attachments

• tophat.jpg
    tophat.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 314
Rocky Mtn ATV , Motorsport, Chaparral are just a few who will have a variety of items to choose from. Google is your friend.

This is my trailer with two of the Cyclegear wheel chocks in place. I have weldnuts installed in the trailer floor. That allows me to install or remove them in well less than 5 minutes with a little battery powered impact. I've been happy with the set up. I also have some shop built wheel stops that I can use. You can just make one of them out in the center of the trailer in the first picture. My buddy Leon ( focus frenzy ) gets a lot of credit for helping me put that trailer together.
2017-04-12 009  .jpg

The chocks can be mounted in either of two positions. This picture is using two of them and one of the shop built items to carry three bikes. Actually, that picture was taken before the weld nuts were installed, but the idea is the same. It's just quiker to put them on and take them off now.

2016-10-14 Trailer Mods and Test Run (6).jpg

Can you send a photo of the self nuts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This is a flange type weld nut. To install them you drill a hole, place this into it and weld it in place. It looks like your trailer has a wood floor so you might find Bed Bolts more useful. You might have to counter bore your hole, because these aren't long enough to go all the way through 2X material. Drill a pilot hole where you want it, then use a spade bit from below to counter bore so that you can install the nut. You can then use either an eyebolt or a regular bolt in the device.

Last edited:
Little update on the progress I've made to date.

Stopped at Cycle Gear for a closer look at their Trackside Wheel Chock. It is currently marked on sale at $84.99. Revzilla (who is also Cycle Gear) and Amazon has it listed at the same price. Of course shipping may factor in if using the later two sources.

The chock has three holes drilled through stamped steel plate in a triangle pattern. One under the rear of the front tire and two further back along the support legs to either side of the bike. Barring any high speed escapes from a Zombie horde while trailering the bikes. The Trackside looks sound enough to support my Tenere and/or my sons 250 Ninja without issue.

With the wooden deck on the trailer, it would be a simple matter of drilling larger holes in the proper position, use bolts and flat washers to simple bolt the Trackside down. I could un-bolt when done and store the Trackside when not in use.

However! Like most of you(?) Getting down on the ground and under the trailer is easy, getting back up gets harder every year. So... Still working up a plan where i can bolt from the top without climbing under the trailer.

While browsing craigslist yesterday. Gentleman who lives near me posted a Trackside for sale. I made a counter offer and he accepted. One down, one to go.

I have a Tenere as well as that Connie, and it does just fine in the stand. FWIW, I just use the two bolt holes that are on the center line. It holds just fine. Cycle Gear puts those things on sale a couple of times a year. I'm glad to hear it's coming together for you.

How much of a clear bed to you require?

I have Condors on my trailer.

2015_500EXC_02-X3.jpg

The vertical member and the wheel pivot both are easily removed by removing two pins.
all that remains is a C channel plate that sticks up only 2".

As the trailer serves many purposes. Anything added to the deck must be flush, or removable.

I'm looking at several different recessed anchors. The one attached here swivels which may give me additional options as tie downs.

I've ordered a Raider Crank Plate from Amazon. These plates are commonly used as snowmobile ski bar tie downs. I'm hoping they have enough tensile strength three will work for the three pre-drilled holes on the Trackside.

Attachments

• recess anchor.jpg
    recess anchor.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 1144165.jpeg
    1144165.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 316
I have e-track from Northern Tool in my trailer. They sell the wheel chocks that clip into the e-track. They also have straps that clip in, or clips with rings that regular straps can hook to. E-track would bolt in place permanently and the chocks and straps/clips can easily be installed and removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have e-track from Northern Tool in my trailer. They sell the wheel chocks that clip into the e-track. They also have straps that clip in, or clips with rings that regular straps can hook to. E-track would bolt in place permanently and the chocks and straps/clips can easily be installed and removed.

What kind of bike do you have?

My setup is for dirt bikes/dual sports as it is in my off-road camping trailer.

I’ve got harbor freight bike chocks in my trailer , couple holes drilled thru the floor with a bolt dropped in the hole . The bike tires are strapped to the floor via Etrak running full length in the trailer and a stabilizer strap from the bars to each wall . Bikes are staggered so no bar banging . When I load my trailer it may be 1500 miles before I open the door again , I don’t worry about my rides when I’m traveling .

4DC8D6DF-B13F-4F63-A0D6-8D31DCAD2FD3.jpeg

Google Ancra Products. They have some smooth mount stuff that will allow a "hoop" type thing to be inserted and removed leaving a smooth floor. Everything Ancra makes is of excellent quality. I would bet the bigger sites would have them or something very similar.

I highly recommend the condor. It's adjustability for various front tire sizes is awesome. I use mine on my HF lift to extend it frontwards a bit and also to make it easy to roll the bike on and walk away. Probably not as secure with a thin 21 inch style front wheel but I have done it a time or two in my DR until I could put the other lift under the motor.

We adopted our 6½' x 10' utility trailer to a 3-small-bike, 2-big-bike or 1-sidecar-rig hauler by having a friend weld on some tie down loops around the outside frame and installing 3 basic removable chocks, keeping the original "black box" for the front tire of our sidecar rigs:

20180614_203118.jpg

20180825_175027.jpg

Update... I received the Crank Plate from Amazon. With some additional welding around the nut, I think it will work just fine.

I will need some welding done for...

5 new crank plates made...
I'm going to add a tool box to the tongue like seen on Crew Chief's trailer.
I like the Tie down loops around the trailer verses deck mounted tie down anchor points.

I have access to a wire feed welder but wouldn't even consider myself a gob welder.

I'm going to add a tool box to the tongue like seen on Crew Chief's trailer.

Handy as opposing thumbs.

I bought mine off of eBay for about $70 IIRC.
It's thin and very lightweight.
There are tons of styles, sizes, weights and designs.

I leave tie downs and tools needed to change a flat in mine.
So having $100 worth of gear in the box didn't justify a $300 Lund or Westin.

There are always dirt track racing parts shops around that have chassis mount tabs like this.

15714.jpg

http://www.colemanracing.com/Light-Bracket-P3926.aspx

When I fabbed cages and chassis for road racing, I ordered this kind of stuff from Coleman all the time.
I probably have a bunch in a box around here somewhere.

Back