• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

SilverBullet

never slow down...you never grow old
Reaction score
Ok there are probably more V-Strom owners on TWT than any other bike. Time for a dedicated thread.

What do you have? DL1000 Vee, DL650 Wee or DL650 Glee? All are welcome as well as other bike owners, most secretly want a Strom anyway but let the ugly "only a Mother could love" looks hold them back. haha

I've only had my '04 Wee for a week now but have really fallen for it. I have many other bikes also but the Wee fills an every day, all purpose need to a Tee. Already I know it is my go to bike for Texas dual sporting which as most know consists mainly of dirt/gravel/sand roads. That is why I have this thread in the Dual Sport subforum. Hopefully this wont discourage the pure street riders from joining in on this thread also though.

Here is mine on the way home from TN last Saturday. Pre-farkled for dual sport and complete with plenty of pre-existing scars and scratches to encourage me to add to them.

7600a838ed741d5a8d7fd591df3d7ef6.jpg

Here are a couple photos I like. These bikes are more capable off pavement than their street bike looks would have you believe. Pilot skill is probably the limitating factor for many, more so than the bike is.

Picture208.jpg

Hey JMZ, how many feet of air is this? haha

000_0010.jpg

_

Last edited:
What a great start to a great thread! I bought my first V-strom last December and it is hands down my favorite motorcycle so far, I have not owned dozens of bikes to compare it, but I am very happy and I have not had to "buy" anything to make it better or more comfortable like my last few bikes.

I am consistently getting 52-55 mpg commuting with no panniers. I am looking forward to going back to NC with it.

:eek2: Whoa, I can just hear that cracking plastic sound!!! :lol2:

So what's the word SB, you gonna ride it out here tomorrow?

Yep, most definitely. That is the type of riding I got it for. 135 miles pavement to La Grange, then dirt/gravel to Bellville, more dirt/gravel after the VFD BBQ and finally 100+ miles pavement home depending on where the ride ends. V-Twin smoothness and power is nice, I'll let you ride it. I believe you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was. It will probably get you wanting one, you have MBS as bad as I do, haha.

_

Sat on V at dealership. Couldn't get the bike off the kick stand. Heavy. Maybe didn't eat wheaties that morning. But really was heavy. Don't know how people off road it.

Got my vee in feb-12. Have loved every mile since.
2etagedy.jpg

u6ypesa3.jpg

a8yju7yd.jpg

asumy9ed.jpg

pazyvy8e.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I sat on a DL1000 last weekend for the first time and was surprised at how light it felt. Seemed to carry its weight down low. But I'm used to riding a BMW GS and I'm well over 6' tall, so maybe I'm just looking at it from a different perspective.

Didn't feel as light or nimble as our Super Sherpas, but seemed better suited to gravel duty than the Tigers and Teneres I've ridden.

Been pondering a Wee ever since sitting on a nice used one last fall. I came close to buying another used, local Wee but the seller changed his mind, he could not let it go.

Good thread---I will read with interest.

Sat on V at dealership. Couldn't get the bike off the kick stand. Heavy. Maybe didn't eat wheaties that morning. But really was heavy. Don't know how people off road it.

Yes it's a heavy bike and not for serious off road. Dual sport (think ET450, BBNP, CR's, FS's, etc.) and adventure riding is it's dirt spectrum. Couple this with being an excellent pavement machine with a comfortable seating position and you have a great all around bike. The V-Strom 650 is about 40 lbs heavier than a KLR650 at 470 lbs wet. The V-Strom 1000 is about another 50 lbs heavier.

Of course adding protection for off road and/or outfitted for adventure the weight climbs.

_

Was at Yamaha yesterday and I had the same problem on the Wee. It was right next to a KLR and I might have worried about tipping it over and owning two bikes.:lol2: It did seem heavier than I thought it would be. I really think it is because it is tall and I am short. I am in the market for a Wee or close relative but need to bring riding boots and try it on again. Drew

Was at the Yamaha yesterday and I had the same problem on the Wee. It was right next to a KLR and I might have worried about tipping it over and owning two bikes.:lol2: It did seem heavier than I thought it would be. I really think it is because it is tall and I am short. I am in the market for a Wee or close relative but need to bring riding boots and try it on again. Drew

Drew , I don`t think you would find it heavy if you rode one. You can ride my V to try it out if we ever cross paths .

What is the maintenance like? Easy/quick oil changes and valve adjustments?

One of these days if I ever make it to a Friday ice cream when you are there we can talk all you want to about it. I've had mine since it had 12k miles on it and two weeks ago it turned 100k. Oil changes are a snap, valve adjusts are easier on the 1000 than the 650, but the 650 is still not that hard. Tire changes are cake (and also easier on the 1000 over the 650), and that is about all you have to do to them.

All the above being said, I would still steer someone to a 650 over the 1000 unless they are doing tons of two-up.

And finally, let me see if I can find some pictures of mine.
ColoradoResize-1.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

image047.jpg

I've been considering parting with the K7 Bandit to get a Vee or Wee. Even after inverted footpegs, bar risers and upgraded seat. I still like the way the stock Vee feels but I sure do love the power of the Bandit!

I wondered why there wasn't a Strom thread on here. Mine is a 2012 650 Adventure that I bought in June last year. Almost 6000 miles so far and still loving this bike, averaging ~53 MPG, great on the pavement and it really shines on gravel.

First "test" camping trip to the LBJ Grasslands:

20120923_084511_zps40820136.jpg

Pic from the Hamilton trip last fall:

20121027_151631_zps80751ccb.jpg

Stripped down sitting in the driveway:

20121120_102248_zpsffd16021.jpg

Drew , I don`t think you would find it heavy if you rode one. You can ride my V to try it out if we ever cross paths .

Crossing paths is what kickstand does best. I am gonna try to get back there today;time willing to try it on again. It felt heavier than my 2 ton Concours. Like I said it might be because I am a midget. Drew

"So what do you have in your Wee"? My farkles on my 2011 white one are:
Givi Trekker panniers & topbox
Dan Vessel backrest, hwy pegs, and dash plate
Hand guards
Denali running lights on TT bracket
Gel seat with Alaska sheepskin
Tank bra
Center stand
Madstadt with Cee Baileys ws
TT skid plate
TT engine guards
Pwr plate and plug
Black muffler shield
Risers
Braided brake lines
Kakao throttle lock
Bushtec trailer hitch
Ohlins rear shock w/remote
Racetech fork springs w/gv emulators
Battery tender pigtail
Gerbings pigtail
12 liter cooler
Cortech tank bag
HT tank panniers

Steve
11 Wee
12 Ninja 1000
08 FJR AE

One of these days if I ever make it to a Friday ice cream when you are there we can talk all you want to about it. I've had mine since it had 12k miles on it and two weeks ago it turned 100k. Oil changes are a snap, valve adjusts are easier on the 1000 than the 650, but the 650 is still not that hard. Tire changes are cake (and also easier on the 1000 over the 650), and that is about all you have to do to them.

All the above being said, I would still steer someone to a 650 over the 1000 unless they are doing tons of two-up.

And finally, let me see if I can find some pictures of mine.
ColoradoResize-1.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

image047.jpg

Great to hear that yours has been so trouble free. Have been looking at them but have not decided what I want/need yet. Is that Ouray your at in the first two pics? Looks awful familiar. Drew

Great to hear that yours has been so trouble free. Have been looking at them but have not decided what I want/need yet. Is that Ouray your at in the first two pics? Looks awful familiar. Drew

The first picture you are correct, but the second picture is from the glacier fields outside of Banff.

Had a nice long ride on the Wee today. Learned a few things:

I'm just slightly cramped in normal riding position. I already have a DL1000 seat on it so 1" higher than stock but still need more. I will buy and install this lowering kit, very reasonably priced. This will give me the added stretch I need and also make standing ergos even better also.
http://www.adventuretech.biz/footpeg-and-control-lowering-kit.html

The last half gallon of gas isn't usable. I've filled the tank twice so far, each time waiting for the final low fuel warning (block blinking and fuel icon blinking). It took 4.6 and 4.7 gallons at that time to fill the tank. So that is 1 gallon remaining and I get 50mpg. So today when I got the low fuel warning I figured I'm good for 50 miles more. Wrong, ran out of gas after only 30 miles.

Lastly Battlewing tires aren't too bad for dirt/gravel but they suck balls in sand. Had a couple really good pucker moments and thought the bike was going down. Didn't drop it but not pretty riding. Next set of tires will be 50/50 tires. I don't mind giving up a little on the pavement to be safer in the dirt.

Got $20 wide dirt footpegs off Ebay on the way also. Standing on those squishy rubber pegs doesn't insopire confidence. They are great for road use but too narrow and slippery for standing up and dirt.

_

Back