• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

First Name
Clay
Who says you can't mount a 2012 650 Strom rear top box adaptor on a 2014 DL 1000. Bet it is stronger than the Twisted Throttle 200 buck model. Now I have a place to carry my sword of the Spirit. God is so good and His mercy and grace endures forever, You may notice the aluminum plate is part of an old loading ramp lip. It was hard to cut till I put a course metal bade in my jig saw. Then smoothed and formed with angle grinder. Overlook bolts that are too long. I have to drive towards town just to go hunting and fishing, much less Home Depot.

Attachments

Last edited:
First Name
Clay
Rod I just took it for a 25mile spin without the side bags, It seems much easier to ride. The top box will hold all the grocery store things I can afford. Tie the bread behind the wind screen. It is a challenge to arrange items orderly in bike bags. I know if I take bike to store I can't overdo it.

Last edited:

Hmm

I just discovered this thread today having never explored the dual sport area of TWT. Glad to know this exists.

Riding an 08 Wee that I bought from the second owner back in Sept. of 2018. Out of 7 previous motorcycles, it is my favorite. I always hated the looks of these things but after owning one, I got over that. I just can't believe I didn't try these ADV bikes sooner. The leg room rules!!

I just discovered this thread today having never explored the dual sport area of TWT. Glad to know this exists.

Riding an 08 Wee that I bought from the second owner back in Sept. of 2018. Out of 7 previous motorcycles, it is my favorite. I always hated the looks of these things but after owning one, I got over that. I just can't believe I didn't try these ADV bikes sooner. The leg room rules!!
I'm with you on the looks. I hated them when they came out in '02. But whenever they started painting the frames black in 04-05, all of a sudden I was looking hard at the Strom.

I ended up buying my '05 with 5000 miles on it in August of 05! The first owner bought it new, put a bunch of money in accesories on it, then traded it in on a BMW. I got a great deal on an essentially new bike!

Reactions: Hmm
First Name
Lane
Last Name
Turner

I also just found this thread I have an 05 650, 26000 miles, there is a lot I like about the bike.

First Name
Clay
I also just found this thread I have an 05 650, 26000 miles, there is a lot I like about the bike.
Barely broke in. I had a 650 and have missed it since I sold it. I think the 650 was smoother than this 1000. I like the torque and not having to shift as much with the 1000. There was something strange about how it handled curves. When I aired up the rear to 42 and front to 35 it got better. Then I took off the side bags and bingo! It handles much better probably side .wind resistance, because they are tucked in close. May be my imagination but I like it better with just tail bag. May get a small tank ring tank bag like I had on 650. They come off easy for fuel.

First Name
Lane
Last Name
Turner
Barely broke in. I had a 650 and have missed it since I sold it. I think the 650 was smoother than this 1000. I like the torque and not having to shift as much with the 1000. There was something strange about how it handled curves. When I aired up the rear to 42 and front to 35 it got better. Then I took off the side bags and bingo! It handles much better probably side .wind resistance, because they are tucked in close. May be my imagination but I like it better with just tail bag. May get a small tank ring tank bag like I had on 650. They come off easy for fuel.
I have been thinking about selling, but the guy I bought it from, had put on a lot of farkles, and I think the ones he didn't add I have added, I am thinking I need to keep at least for now.

Mr2mch

Forum Supporter
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
May as well keep it....market is soft....Charmin soft
Ive been tryin ta sell my farkled 28K 2012 650 for a while now....$3000 price hasnt even gotten a peep

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Just spooned on a front tire and took my K5 up and down the street for the first time since 2014. Felt good. Really good.

It's coughing and sputtering, but I expected that as I work the crud out of the tank. Will probably 2-3 rounds of pulling the fuel pump out and cleaning the screen.

I still need to flush all the DOT4 and put on a fresh rear tire. Plus fix my chain oiler. Then ride, ride, ride.....