• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom owners thread

Who says you can't mount a 2012 650 Strom rear top box adaptor on a 2014 DL 1000. Bet it is stronger than the Twisted Throttle 200 buck model. Now I have a place to carry my sword of the Spirit. God is so good and His mercy and grace endures forever, You may notice the aluminum plate is part of an old loading ramp lip. It was hard to cut till I put a course metal bade in my jig saw. Then smoothed and formed with angle grinder. Overlook bolts that are too long. I have to drive towards town just to go hunting and fishing, much less Home Depot.

Attachments

• top box 1.jpg
    top box 1.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 240
  • Top box 2.jpg
    Top box 2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Top box 3.jpg
    Top box 3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Top Box 4.jpg
    Top Box 4.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Rod I just took it for a 25mile spin without the side bags, It seems much easier to ride. The top box will hold all the grocery store things I can afford. Tie the bread behind the wind screen. It is a challenge to arrange items orderly in bike bags. I know if I take bike to store I can't overdo it.

Last edited:
I just discovered this thread today having never explored the dual sport area of TWT. Glad to know this exists.

Riding an 08 Wee that I bought from the second owner back in Sept. of 2018. Out of 7 previous motorcycles, it is my favorite. I always hated the looks of these things but after owning one, I got over that. I just can't believe I didn't try these ADV bikes sooner. The leg room rules!!

I just discovered this thread today having never explored the dual sport area of TWT. Glad to know this exists.

Riding an 08 Wee that I bought from the second owner back in Sept. of 2018. Out of 7 previous motorcycles, it is my favorite. I always hated the looks of these things but after owning one, I got over that. I just can't believe I didn't try these ADV bikes sooner. The leg room rules!!

I'm with you on the looks. I hated them when they came out in '02. But whenever they started painting the frames black in 04-05, all of a sudden I was looking hard at the Strom.

I ended up buying my '05 with 5000 miles on it in August of 05! The first owner bought it new, put a bunch of money in accesories on it, then traded it in on a BMW. I got a great deal on an essentially new bike!

Reactions: Hmm

I also just found this thread I have an 05 650, 26000 miles, there is a lot I like about the bike.

I also just found this thread I have an 05 650, 26000 miles, there is a lot I like about the bike.
Barely broke in. I had a 650 and have missed it since I sold it. I think the 650 was smoother than this 1000. I like the torque and not having to shift as much with the 1000. There was something strange about how it handled curves. When I aired up the rear to 42 and front to 35 it got better. Then I took off the side bags and bingo! It handles much better probably side .wind resistance, because they are tucked in close. May be my imagination but I like it better with just tail bag. May get a small tank ring tank bag like I had on 650. They come off easy for fuel.

My wife bought me a 19L/27L expandable magnetic tank bag for Christmas last year. It removes easy for fueling. I put a tank pad protector on the tank to offset any paint damage.

Great to hear from some Strom bros!!!

Barely broke in. I had a 650 and have missed it since I sold it. I think the 650 was smoother than this 1000. I like the torque and not having to shift as much with the 1000. There was something strange about how it handled curves. When I aired up the rear to 42 and front to 35 it got better. Then I took off the side bags and bingo! It handles much better probably side .wind resistance, because they are tucked in close. May be my imagination but I like it better with just tail bag. May get a small tank ring tank bag like I had on 650. They come off easy for fuel.

I have been thinking about selling, but the guy I bought it from, had put on a lot of farkles, and I think the ones he didn't add I have added, I am thinking I need to keep at least for now.

Just spooned on a front tire and took my K5 up and down the street for the first time since 2014. Felt good. Really good.

It's coughing and sputtering, but I expected that as I work the crud out of the tank. Will probably 2-3 rounds of pulling the fuel pump out and cleaning the screen.

I still need to flush all the DOT4 and put on a fresh rear tire. Plus fix my chain oiler. Then ride, ride, ride.....

I was part of this elite group of people for a total of two months before I crashed and totaled my 2007. 😢

Perfect blue paint.

after 4.4 yrs & 27k miles of trouble free use & abuse out of my 650,
the oe roller bearings started feeling notchy. Once i removed the triple clamps, it was clear some deep cuts had grooved in to the lower raceway. So in went
$30 Tusk label (by all balls) taper bearings
20190818-100304.jpg

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-steering-stem-bearing-kit-p?s=1574390

...pop out the old, pop in new...
20190818-100326.jpg

Tedious job... the entire front end req'd removal to R&R the steering bearings...
20190818-100217.jpg

the oe roller bearings started feeling notchy. Once i removed the triple clamps, it was clear some deep cuts had grooved in to the lower raceway. So in went
View attachment 241774

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-steering-stem-bearing-kit-p?s=1574390

View attachment 241775

Tedious job... the entire front end req'd removal to R&R the steering bearings...
View attachment 241776
Nice job there Dao, good info. Will she be ready for Mextrek?

Yes indeedy. come to think of it, i should get those factory recalls done before, but ...if it ain't broke....?

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking i need to do this to mine.

Yes indeedy. come to think of it, i should get those factory recalls done before, but ...if it ain't broke....?
If yours hasnt had the stator recall done....I definately would do it before any kind of trip.
My 011 Oui was running great one day...then...uugggh...dead battery jus like that & wouldnt recharge while running. Had to buy my own stator/rect/reg since the pre 12 models werent covered in the recall....bought a Ricks for the Oui.
My current 012 had the recall done jus before I bought it.

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dao
View attachment 241774

View attachment 241775

View attachment 241776
Are the races difficult to get out and in?

i needed a long rod and a hammer to tap out the old... four good hits, and the stockers popped right out of there! @ 3 & 9 o'clock position, there's a cutout to place the drift / rod against the back of the races to hammer. can't miss it.

putting new ones was a slight bit cumbersome, but not all that challenging. i froze the races for an hr prior to installing. it didn't seem like freezer method helped much. Getting the sides parallel w/ the hole is key in tapping the races all the way down, seated. I used the old bearing raceways to lay over the taper races and tapped it in that way.

Back