• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Vacation to N.M., AZ., and Southern Utah

SeanFromTX, didn't need the WiFi but we should have delayed breakfast until we got there. The burrito looks great. If there is ever a next time thats where we'll eat!

Only two more days with any pictures, hopefully coming tomorrow.

Day twelve.

Well it couldn't have been any easier. Just walk into the lobby of the Offical MacDaddy vacation hotel (Best Western :lol2:) the night before and told them we'd like a 4x4 tour of the canyon in the morning. They'd handle the details and 8:30 am was the earliest tour. That sounded great. After the standard three hour tour we could log a few miles in the general direction of Texas before nightfall.

First thing in the morning, we had a nice breakfast at the resturant which was only about 150 feet from the room.

At 8:20 we met our Navajo guide Daniel (Walks with the Great Spirit) in front of the lobby. We jumped in his Jeep Wrangler and headed for the base of the Canyon De Chelly. We passed the Park Ranger station and if you don't have an approved guide, you're not getting past. Yup, its the north or south rim drive and its viewpoints like the commoners use. You know, like us yesterday!

What's cool is you're taken up the Canyon in the Jeep or whatever but half the time your driving through the shallow river.

And if you're really quite, and the stars line up just right and you cross your fingers you just might find a U.S. Park Ranger who stuck his truck in the river. :eek2:

IMG_3717.jpg

They seem to use the same kind of vehicle removal system that everybody else does.

IMG_3715.jpg

For the folks that prefer pictures to text. :mrgreen:

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

Sometimes the road looked like this,

IMG_3729.jpg

And sometimes it looked like this.

IMG_3725.jpg

A few shots going up the canyon just for the dual sporters.

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3727.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3732.jpg

Now I know I've said some hateful things about not loving the canyon from the get go but remember we'd see a lot of canyons including that big one we flew over. The one thing that sets this canyon apart from the others we'd seen is that some of their dwellings are still mostly intact. Covered by the rock the early settlers built their living quarters in the side of the canyon wall including smaller buildings where they stored their harvested goods, etc...

IMG_3735.jpg

Daniel said that the river floor was about 20 feet higher back then which was obviously closer to the dwellings but they still had to use ladders to reach them.

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

I think its a pretty weed?

IMG_3737.jpg

Look closely. The twins.

IMG_3746.jpg

Called the White House b/c of the building (faded over the years) at the top center where they stored their grain. There is also a trail down from one of the overlooks for anybody that wants a much closer look.

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

I didn't realize that medium blue was such an unflattering color in that (any) light. :giveup:

IMG_3753.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

Whats that person taking a picture of?

IMG_3772.jpg

Oh yeah, the last dwelling we would see and as far as we would go on the north fork of the canyon.

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

In case I got a little wordy. One last picture of pictures.

IMG_3770.jpg

If you noticed, the view on the way back changed. Seemed like we lost the rear axle bearings on the Wrangler. Oh well, we were rescued by Daniel's son in a Tahoe.

IMG_3780.jpg

And with that it was back to the motel to load up and go. Hey, I think we could make it the to Painted Desert/Petrified Forest.

191 south was kind of a boring ride to I-40. A short hop on I-40 west and we arrived at the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest Vistor Center and Resturant. Oh boy lunch! During lunch we received a call from our neighbor telling us a Tornado had just come through Midlothian. Our home was fine but they had some excitement (and cool first hand pictures).

One of the first viewing points in the Painted Forest. Looking right and looking left.

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

Moving on.

IMG_3790.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg

And into the Petrified Forest.

Dwellings on the Puerco Ruin Trial.

IMG_3796.jpg

Our first overlook where we found petrified wood. Notice the bird on the far left. I think he's used to being fed by people.

IMG_3812.jpg

I swear that bird was about 18 inches tall.

IMG_3813.jpg

I didn't use anything for scale in the pictures but these were like real size trees you'd find in East Texas. (Next time I'll use something for scale. Bad cop, no donut).

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

Its was getting warm (okay hot) and we'd seen petrified wood! We didn't make anymore of the stops but managed to snaps a few photos as we went.

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

I assume they don't survive on bark?

IMG_3817.jpg

Leaving the park (south entrance), cause I never get the picture the first time.

IMG_3819.jpg

Turn left and let the twisties begin. :rider: Whoops not this road!

IMG_3820.jpg

Well the road got a little better and its was a pleasant ride. Besides there weren't any hills or forests to ruin the view for a change.

We took 180 into Springerville/Eagar where we found a room at the...(drumroll please) say it with me.

Best Western.

IMG_3822.jpg

Very nice day again and we learned a lot. 202 miles.

Google Maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.000487edffeee2ccdb1af

What was the cost of the guided tour?

That fence in front of the dwellings is new. Well... at least new in the sense that it wasn't there during my last trip.

In 1980. :trust:

:mrgreen:

There were pamphlets in the lobby from two companies. One was for $140 and the other $150 for the 3 hour tour but could go longer at an addiitonal $40 an hour. B.W. contracted us with the $140 company.

Sometime after 1980 they decided to keep people from playing around the structures. Not saying it was you Texas T. :-)

Hopefully tonight I'll complete the last installment.

Nice! You weren't kidding about being picture heavy. Took so long to get thru the first page that it signed me out! Very nice stuff.

There will be a delay on the final installment. I had a computer issue when I was nearly finished and lost everything, including my sense of humor. Needless to say, I'm a little frustated at the moment and will finish when I get time. Sorry for the delay.

There were pamphlets in the lobby from two companies. One was for $140 and the other $150 for the 3 hour tour but could go longer at an addiitonal $40 an hour. B.W. contracted us with the $140 company.
That's inflation for you... it was probably about $25-$30 for me and the wife back then.

Sometime after 1980 they decided to keep people from playing around the structures. Not saying it was you Texas T. :-)
I can't remember if they actually let us near the structure or not back then. I'd have to dig through a pile of photos to see if I have any shots.

Hopefully tonight I'll complete the last installment.
:popcorn:

You are my idol! I recently did a trip out to Torrey, Utah. I took two days to get there and a little over two days to get back. I stayed in Torrey two days only riding one of the two. I stopped very few places along the way for pictures because I had miles to cover.

I really enjoyed UT-12 out of Torrey with a side trip down the Burr Trail. That was the only day I took many pictures. The last day I was in Torrey, the wind was blowing the hair off the frogs so I just hung around and visited with friends. I tried to come home through Monument Valley, but turned back north out of Bluff and headed up into Colorado to avoid the dust storms to the south.

Besides my final day from Austin home, the shortest day I had was probably Santa Fe, NM to Austin on the way home. The day was capped off with riding through the rain, lightning and dark between Brady and Llano.

I will one day take my time and see the scenery you saw. I just don't know when.

Thanks for sharing all the pictures. Letting me know what I missed!

I had a computer issue when I was nearly finished and lost everything, including my sense of humor.

I assume that you just lost the entire final report and not everything on the computer. :pray:

Great report - lots of planning information in it! :thumb:

Day thirteen.

The goal today was to try and stay in the nice cool forested poritions shown on the map as we traveled in the general direction of Texas. Our first road would be the only recycled road we did. All others were new to us.

I felt bad that we didn't stop in Cloudcroft on our way west some 10 days prior. It looked like a neat place to spend some time. So on this day we decided we'd shoot for Cloudcroft as our final destination.

Leaving Eagar we enterd the National Forest. We'd figured out a route that would keep us in the woods and cool for a while. We took 180/191 south toward Alpine. The trees were a little sparse leaving Eager but filled in nicely by the time we reached Alpine.

Traveling to Alpine.

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

Things are getting more fun.

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

Getting close to Alpine now.

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

Coming into Alpine (elevation 8046 ft) looking to the south. The Devils Backbone (191) climbs into those hills.

IMG_3845.jpg

At Alpine we turned east and stayed on 180 when 180/191 split.

Looking south again in the direction of 191.

IMG_3848.jpg

One thing I noticed on this trip concerning the forests. I don't know if they do controlled burns or what but there was very little old growth type debris on the ground (and the trees are spread far apart). Made them look very clean.

An example off of 180.

IMG_3854.jpg

A few pictures of 180. Very nice road with plenty of sweeping curves and elevation changes.

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

I was enjoying 180 quite a bit however our route had us turning left on 12 and riding through Reserve.

Very pleasant with little traffic and great weather. A few from 12.

IMG_3867.jpg

IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

If we stayed on 12 east we'd end up at Datil on 60. But we'd break out of the forest to quick. We instead turned north on 32 at Apache Junction. 32 would take us over the Gallo Mountains and eventually over to 60 where we lost the forest.

We stopped at Apache Junction for a few minutes to strecth our legs. They have pretty much anything you could need in that little store and a nice lady running it.

IMG_3875.jpg

Well except for gas.

IMG_3876.jpg

This was interesting. Not sure what the story is behind it but lets leave the Arizona type politics out of it. :-)

IMG_3877.jpg

12 was another nice road (redundant I know) that skirted the canyon floor until climbing up, out and over the Escondido Mountain nearby (9854 ft.).

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

Just a little more climbing. But fun climbing.

IMG_3887.jpg

On top.

IMG_3891.jpg

I thought I was on top.

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

Getting closer to Quemado and 60

IMG_3894.jpg

At 60 we turned east. One surprise stop for Kathleen (shush, don't tell her) on our way to Socorro.

Any self respecting TWT'er would do the same thing. Stop in Pie Town (near the Continental Divide)!

There are two restaurants in town. The Pietown Pie Cafe and the Daily Pie Cafe. I'd heard good things about both and wasn't sure which one to go to. It was an easy decision after driving by.

I chose the Daily Pie becuse of the sign out front. I still have no shame.

IMG_3908.jpg

And Kathleen after having her arm twisted a little.

IMG_3907.jpg

A plug.

IMG_3911.jpg

Apparently the prices are subject to change.

IMG_3910.jpg

We both had a piece of Cherry.

IMG_3914.jpg

Then we shared the New Mexican Apple Pie. If I remember right, it's your standard apple pie but with Green Chili and Pinon Nuts. Pretty tasty.

IMG_3915.jpg

Shortly after Pie Town things heated up and the trees went away. Oh yeah, the wind was back too. I thought that was a last week thing.

Just a couple from 60.

IMG_3918.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

Luckily back at the cafe I had the foresight to put tin foil over both our helmets. Can't be to careful around Socorro you know. (Didn't see Jodi Foster either)

IMG_3925.jpg

From this point the winds were semi-brutal and temp rose to 95 by the time we got into Socorro. From there we turned south for a few miles on I-25 until getting off at San Antonio/380 (read no picutures here). 380 took us through Carrizozo (now 97 degrees) on our way to 37. At 37/48 we turned south towards Ruidoso in hopes of cooler temps and twistier roads.

Coming into Ruidoso and life was getting good again.

IMG_3937.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

I'd been to Ruidoso once about 25 years ago skiing and didn't remember it very well.
I was surprised riding through that it covered so much ground. Finding a room looked like it would be easy too. We learned later that some type of poker run or something had started in Cloudcroft and ended in Ruidoso. There we (mostly) Harley's everwhere. It was packed (and loud) there. I'm not so much a lifestyle kind of guy so we were happy to keep going.

Leaving Ruidoso we took 244 to Cloudcroft. Nice road that got even more fun close to Cloudcroft. It was also a nice treat on 244 to come out of a corner for a change, on this trip, in front of law enforcement, and not have him flash all his lights at me to slow down.

Taking a break on 244.

IMG_3945.jpg

We got to Cloudcroft and found a room at the hotel right on Main Street. Got settled in and even managed to hold down a stool at the Western Bar for a little bit before consuming a nice Mexican dinner.

Other than that hot and windy part in the middle it was a good day. 387 miles.

Google maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.00048814ae44319a5e07c

There will be one last short installment.

Day fourteen.

The goal for the day was to see a little more of the area around Cloudcroft, then head back the way we'd come, through Artesia again. A last minute goal now was to turn south at Artesia and go to Carlsbad and take in the Caverns. We'd heard good things about the caverns and thought we should have a look. After that we'd figure out what we'd we do next.

Most of downtown Cloudcroft on a quite Saturday morning.

IMG_3947.jpg

The Hotel where we stayed.

IMG_3948.jpg

We rode west down the hill on 82 towards Alamogordo. On the way out the first time I didn't have my camera ready. I wanted a picture of the tunnel and besides, it's fun to ride.

IMG_3949.jpg

The White Sands in the distance.

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

Still traveling west/downhill.

IMG_3953.jpg

After turning around and traveling east.

IMG_3965.jpg

From there we took 130 south and then 6563 even souther(I know not a word). Very nice and fun 2nd through 4th gear road with very few staights or level pavement.

The view out and over Alamogordo from the Haynes Canyon Vista.

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

Kathleen reported having briefly touched her foot down in a corner on the way. A first!

I thought our final destination, Sunspot was just a scenic view. Turns out they have an observatory there.

IMG_3976.jpg

We didn't stay long but we gave ourselves the Readers Digest tour of the grounds.

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

On the way out to Sunspot we saw temps as low as 57. The wind was picking up too.

I didn't take anymore pictures. We rode on 130 around the bottom of Cloudcroft to the east. Another great road that is just a little more open than 6563. 130 skirts the canyon floor and is a hoot!

Once on 82 traveling east towards Artestia the temp picked up quite a bit. The winds were blowing pretty stong too. The side/head wind that killed us on 82 going east and the beginning of the trip were now a side/tail wind. We were able to ride at 80/85 and still get 46.75 mpg.

At Artesia we made an executive decision not to go to Carlsbad. We would have had to turn into the strong winds that had been helping us allowing them to beat us up. Plus the temp was now at 94.

We stayed pointed towards Texas and didn't stop till we got to Lamesa where we spent the last night in a Best Western. Temps had been mostly a steady 97 with an occasional 99 while in Texas. 313 miles for the day.

Google Maps link.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=113583176119480680152.00048827ef37eb98c8f60

Sunday morning we got out and battled strong cross winds all the way home. Arrived in the driveway at approximately 12:30 pm.

Another nice trip was now complete. 4133 miles.

Just a few random observations from the trip.

When packing for two people for two weeks, Space Bags are a Godsend. We also take our old T Shirts, socks and underware along and throw them away every night, leaving room for souvenir T shirts and refrigerator magnets in our bags.

Seems like 90% of the bikes seen were Harley's or other cruisers. I think I saw more Can Am trikes than Sport Tourers.

I love my Ohlins shock and revalved forks from GP Suspensions.

We also love our Russell Day Long seat. It made the trip very comfortable and easy to do.

Lithium batteries in the camera ROCK. Only changed batteries once.

Screw on tops for the water bottle stored in the top box. No flip up sports tops. Don't ask us how we know.

One last picture from Sunspot. Old Faithful.

IMG_3986.jpg

very nice trip, i'm trying to talk my wife into 2up touring someday, how does your wife like being a passenger on a long trip?

No problems for her. She has no interest in riding by herself.

I was racing when we met and for about five years after that including three Baja 1000's. She says that watching me over the years she became confident in my ability (I guess that means I crashed less then the other guys).

If they doesn't work for you wife take her on a five day tour in Scotland and follow up a few years later with 9 days rin the Alps. It'll either make her or break her. :-)

P.S. Kathleen just told that you need to get a good seat on the bike. She likes the Russell by the way.

LOL, was smiling at your mentioning about after Grand Canyon, hard to judge other canyons. I have a note in my journal from years back when going up 550 in Colorado on the way to Wyoming. " Don't do 550 first, it sets the judging standard too high for other places" ;-)

Very good! :clap:

:tab Some years back, I led a group trip through those same areas and roads, but in the reverse order you did it. Zion, Bryce and Hwy 12/24 were big hits with everyone, as was 191 between Clifton and Alpine! We spent the last few days of our trip in SW Colorado though. I love that whole area. We also got into some of those insane winds, often making it extremely hard to keep the bike in our lane. We stayed at Bullfrog Marina on Lake Powell and the Ranger at the entry gate told us they had been getting sustained 50+mph winds all day :eek2: I was out in Cloudcroft last weekend (Mem Day weekend) and the locals told us they had experienced sustained 90mph winds a few weeks before we got there :giveup: There were a LOT of downed trees, even some really big ones. Your report really makes me want to get back out there on the bikes!

Very cool. :clap: I'd liked the pics of 180. Looks just like that coming through Mineral Wells. :lol2:

Great report! :thumb:

I know how long it takes to put these reports together, so I appreciate the time and effort you put into sharing this with us. ;-)

Tourmeister wrote:
Some years back, I led a group trip through those same areas and roads, but in the reverse order you did it.

I know, I read the report in preparation for this trip. I read as many reports about the area as possible. Yours had the best info and I adopted much of it. I had originally planned on traveling through Utah the same way you did but being a Saturday and not having a room, I thought I could perhaps find a room easier going the other way. Besides, after flying over the Grand Canyon, etc. I thought we should wait a few days for Zion. Let it all sink in and have something to look forward to.

Scott thanks for your help in planning (even though you didn't know). I hope my report helps/inspires someone else just as your report helped/inspired me.

one Wolf wrote:
I'd liked the pics of 180. Looks just like that coming through Mineral Wells.

Well I guess I better get out near Mineral Wells, cause that sure was fun.

KLB1122 wrote:
I know how long it takes to put these reports together

Yeah it takes a longer than most people think. At least for me anyhow. Sorry it took a week or so to complete but I spent several hours working on it. I almost cried when I lost one the longest days just before it was complete.

I know, I read the report in preparation for this trip. I read as many reports about the area as possible. Yours had the best info and I adopted much of it. I had originally planned on traveling through Utah the same way you did but being a Saturday and not having a room, I thought I could perhaps find a room easier going the other way. Besides, after flying over the Grand Canyon, etc. I thought we should wait a few days for Zion. Let it all sink in and have something to look forward to.

Scott thanks for your help in planning (even though you didn't know). I hope my report helps/inspires someone else just as your report helped/inspired me.

:tab Cool! :lol2: I had no idea.

Yeah it takes a longer than most people think. At least for me anyhow. Sorry it took a week or so to complete but I spent several hours working on it. I almost cried when I lost one the longest days just before it was complete.

:tab Oh man... I totally know that sinking feeling when you lose a big section you were just working on... :twitch: In fact, I never finished the report you may have used to plan your trip for exactly that reason. After losing a BIG section of it, I just was spent and could not get motivated to rewrite what I had lost and finish it. After our time in Utah, which is where I left off, we hooked up with some Triumph folks in Montrose, Colorado for an awesome weekend rally. I've never made it back to that part of Utah again unfortunately, but I have been back out to SW Colorado, Northern NM, and Arizona again.

:tab My reports usually take a long time because I do them as a story rather than just presenting the pics with descriptions and giving some basic commentary. Unfortunately, in recent years the time to do such long reports has all but evaporated and I do well just to get the pictures posted nowadays :doh: This is perhaps one of my most recent "big" reports, pure adventure :doh:

Hey McDaddy, Loved you sculpture shots at Arteasia so well , I passed by there today. Even met a guy whom explain to me the whole deal with them. Must of been on the city council or some ya think? LOL. Chilling near the white sands now. Went from 75 to 100 to 72 to 92 degrees today. Sheesh!

achesley, yeah the sculptures are kind of neat and its a pretty little town. I didn't get the tour though. I'm guessing you saw a well or two on the way to Arteasia.

The White Sands are neat. I wish I was there riding with you.

I know a little about the cold, hot then cold and hot again too. Enjoy you're ride and be safe.

Back