• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Value Priced" LED Running Lights

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I have a bike I ride in Florida and as everyone knows, it's treacherous out there with the seniors and meth-heads. I'm also forced to ride on Highway 19 sometimes which is famous for killing motorcyclists. So, I want to add to my visibility but on a budget. I'm not looking for Rigid's or Baja Design lights as this bike won't be used that much and won't be pounding over trails in the middle of the night.

The bike is a '14 KTM 1190. What suggestions for auxiliary lights that don't break the bank do you folks have?

I have these on my S1000XR and putting another set on my 390 ADV. They're bright but they throw light everywhere. Good for being seen, so-so for night riding as they'll blind oncoming traffic (and anyone in front of you).

My only contribution is for increased conspicuity, using amber/orange lighting (such as for fog lights) is even more effective in the sea of DRLs that have a mix of LED and halogen lighting.

My only contribution is for increased conspicuity, using amber/orange lighting (such as for fog lights) is even more effective in the sea of DRLs that have a mix of LED and halogen lighting.

Interesting. It makes some sense for sure. Is this a known thing or is it your personal opinion?

I have green covers on one of my driving light sets. Those lights also come with amber covers. Sometimes I'll run one of each. At night, all covers are off.
Lights.jpg
The bottom set with 6 LEDS are the ones with the covers.

Cheez, you have a picture of your FJR? I would like know what those look like?

Thank you, those don't look to bad. I was afraid 4" would just look out of place.

I ran these on my Super Tenere and never had a problem with them even after multiple drops! They are compatible with the wiring harnesses from Walmart too is my understanding.

Interesting. It makes some sense for sure. Is this a known thing or is it your personal opinion?
My observation so it is an opinion. I cannot say if it is a known thing or not.
A riding buddy with a Road King had to replace one of the aux lights that flank the headlight. The dealer only had amber replacements so he replaced both with those. When riding together, his lights stuck out like a sore thumb in my mirrors.

A known conspicuity enhancement is the headlight modulator. Love it or hate it, it works.

I hate headlight modulators. They are for skeerdycats :-) oh, and the three varieties of el cheapo aux lights I tried all vibrated to pieces quickly on BMWs. Maybe there is something that works now. I ultimately went to Rigids.

Not an add on lite......but a still effective mod to the existing signal lights.

If the bike's front turn signals are not also running lights (with 2 wire connectors)
You can add modules like Solar Circuits or Blinker Genie. ($25-30) which turn the signals into running lights too. Simple wiring.
I also changed the signals to some brite LEDs ($20)....& the headlites too. ($30)

The DL1000 rear has stock LED tail/brake ....LED signals ($20)...& a 3 LED emergency lite added ($15)...along with ViziTec brake flasher ($60)

The DL650 rear has the tail/brake lite changed to the early style 2 bulb unit ($15) with Zevo LEDs ($20) & the ViziTec module to flash them ($60). This bike also has emerg flasher on LED signals ($20)...on in the pic

The 2014 blue Super Tenere has mostly the same setup....stock signals were similar LEDs with front running lites so the Solar Circuits modules werent needed. The headlights were already changed to LED by orig owner. The LED litebar under the headlites is super brite & dimmable (pic shown on the white 2013) sorry...I dont have any other pics.
Rear has stock LED tail/brake + added 3 LED emerg lite like the DL1000
Also the ViziTec flasher module

Attachments

• 20210524_164547.jpg
    20210524_164547.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 74
  • 20201230_095542_HDR.jpg
    20201230_095542_HDR.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210527_192905.jpg
    20210527_192905.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20201230_095635.jpg
    20201230_095635.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2013 Super Tenere inPA 2.jpg
    2013 Super Tenere inPA 2.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201230_095039_HDR.jpg
    20201230_095039_HDR.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210524_110426.jpg
    20210524_110426.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I can't stand those headlight modulators, especially when some with them is following me. So incredibly distracting.

I have rigids on another bike and like them but since I ride this bike maybe a 1000 miles a year I didn't want to spend the money.

A few interesting suggestions here to research.

The triangle light effect (one center headlight and two lower aux lights) has been shown in studies to be more conspicuous to drivers, but I'm sorry that I can't quote any citations of that right now.

I run the amber fog / driving lamps all the time along with my LED low beams, the modulated high beams most of the time but ALWAYS on rural two-laners with opposing traffic in the other lane, and the RIGID LEDs at night in open country. When it's 3 am around Tombstone on a moonless night I can light up a good portion of the world in front of me.

I also wear a hi-viz helmet, a hi-viz airbag vest and a Stich with hi-viz shoulders and knees. In other words, I do my best to make me obvious to the oblivious, but even with all that I've still had my share of near misses.

IMG_20200809_075544.jpg

I hate the headlight modulators too and someone did a study that showed they are not effective. I can't remember who that was, seems like it was in the UK.

Not an add on lite......but a still effective mod to the existing signal lights.

If the bike's front turn signals are not also running lights (with 2 wire connectors)
You can add modules like Solar Circuits or Blinker Genie. ($25-30) which turn the signals into running lights too. Simple wiring.
I also changed the signals to some brite LEDs ($20)....& the headlites too. ($30)

The DL1000 rear has stock LED tail/brake ....LED signals ($20)...& a 3 LED emergency lite added ($15)...along with ViziTec brake flasher ($60)

The DL650 rear has the tail/brake lite changed to the early style 2 bulb unit ($15) with Zevo LEDs ($20) & the ViziTec module to flash them ($60). This bike also has emerg flasher on LED signals ($20)...on in the pic

The 2014 blue Super Tenere has mostly the same setup....stock signals were similar LEDs with front running lites so the Solar Circuits modules werent needed. The headlights were already changed to LED by orig owner. The LED litebar under the headlites is super brite & dimmable (pic shown on the white 2013) sorry...I dont have any other pics.
Rear has stock LED tail/brake + added 3 LED emerg lite like the DL1000
Also the ViziTec flasher module

Man, this has been educational. So glad I asked. Thanks for all.

I forgot about the rear light. Funny how I dislike the front modulating headlight but think I like the rapid-blink rear brake light. I need to add that as well.

I'm thinking I should mount the aux lights on the crash-bar tubing. What are you guys (or gals) using for brackets on these bars?

The triangle light effect (one center headlight and two lower aux lights) has been shown in studies to be more conspicuous to drivers, but I'm sorry that I can't quote any citations of that right now.

I run the amber fog / driving lamps all the time along with my LED low beams, the modulated high beams most of the time but ALWAYS on rural two-laners with opposing traffic in the other lane, and the RIGID LEDs at night in open country. When it's 3 am around Tombstone on a moonless night I can light up a good portion of the world in front of me.

I also wear a hi-viz helmet, a hi-viz airbag vest and a Stich with hi-viz shoulders and knees. In other words, I do my best to make me obvious to the oblivious, but even with all that I've still had my share of near misses.

View attachment 310576

I read this when it came out and have arranged all my bikes with this patten. Also run amber in the bottom location as it will set you out from the clutter if headlights to oncoming traffic.

Question. Do you think the amber lights interfere with the visibility of your front turn signals? And if so, how much should I really care as my perception is front turn signals are mostly a courtesy to oncoming traffic. Rear turn signals are the most important for your safety.

I'm thinking I should mount the aux lights on the crash-bar tubing. What are you guys (or gals) using for brackets on these bars?
I just checked my amazon history and they no longer have the clamps I use for my aux lights, but if you search "tube clamp" on amazon, there are lots of options.

Back