• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Venus to Maypearl the long way

I thought that route was awesome. Probably the best riding day I've had this year

It was the best riding I've done to date, I just like ribbing Mac a little :)

Hope you come out. Mac knows where all the good dirt roads are out there in the Maypearl area. And I'm sure he could be talked into going down some of them.

Maybe I should bring the Africa Twin instead :ponder:

There was rocks on the KTrail?

With that KTM, you probably did them so fast you missed them. They aren't that bumpy when you just hit the tops of them at speed....

With a my GS...I had to slow down a bit and make sure I didn't make a taco or pancake. I like tacos and pancakes, but not with my front wheel. :)

Back to this thread...I may join you on Saturday if it rains any more between now and then. If it stays dry, GLFlyer just got a new to him Ten and we're going to try and find some dirt roads to get them aquainted. Then again....we may just join you and then ride some dirt after the ride is over.

Dave, if you are in, I would show up for the ride.
I'd like to chat a bit about Red River ...

Or if you and Bob decide on a more dirt oriented trek, I might bring the dirt bike to ride.

Red River or dirt roads, I need to shake mini me down a bit for some upcoming Big bend treks.

I was going to Walnut Saturday, but after yesterday's 1.5" of rain, I imagine it'll be a bit slick.

Last edited:
I planned on this being an easy meandering pace on the back roads with a little bit of gravel here and there. Now afterwards we could maybe find some more dirt but a lot of that area is that black gumbo stuff everyone hates.

Hey,

Dave was just filling me in on the details.

I'm definitely in since I need to shake down my new (to me) S10. Wouldn't mind a few extra dirt roads thrown in to properly break her in.

Heck... I took the wing off road last time, so the Ten shouldn't be a problem. [emoji6] That was a good thing I did too... since Dave's Zumo popped off and since I was following him, I was able to retrieve it. I guess the wing handles dirt roads better than the GS?? [emoji6]
65371d955ee9b38fd5b2c2bdfc8c7f52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I planned on this being an easy meandering pace on the back roads with a little bit of gravel here and there.

I'm good with that.

I was just informed that both my grandkids are spending the weekend with us.
So my plans are now tentative.

I planned on this being an easy meandering pace on the back roads with a little bit of gravel here and there. Now afterwards we could maybe find some more dirt but a lot of that area is that black gumbo stuff everyone hates.
Me ander......not ..me Ow!
Wet black dirt is no fun

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I understand Phil. It's been a while and would love to ride with you again if it works out.

Mac, you still thinking same route or more dirt?

Just trying to decide which bike to bring.

I just found out I have houseguests on Saturday. Apparently my Mom is coming in town and staying with us and nobody told me.

Anyway...I'm still going to ride but I may not have as much time afterwards to play as I thought. We'll see how it goes...probably should be home by 1 or 2 at the latest or I'll get stink eye. :(

I was going to stick with the plan and then if GLFlyer and Dave along with anyone else wanted to hunt out some more dirt roads after we could. Your new bike should work just fine for the original plan. The "dirtiest" road on the route is Bee Creek Rd.

Anyone doing breakfast? If so, are you eating at the Whataburger or somewhere else?

If so, what time?

Not saying I'm in for breakfast....but I'll probably eat something and showing at the Whataburger around 8:30 might be pretty easy for me.

Sunrise Cafe on the square opens at 7am.

I can get up there any time, just up the road for me.

But there had been some talk of also stopping eating along the route or eating at the end.

Haven't heard a definitive plan. I'm game for whatever. I'll be chomping at the bit to leave before sunrise.

Im glad its you leavin before sunup.... We're gonna break my unwritten rule & ride up on I35 since it'll jus be gettin a lil light here at 7:15-7:30
It is November.... & prime OH! ..DEER! season

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Bob and I will probably just hit Waffle House in Arlington for breakfast and be at the Whataburger by 9:15.

Heading there...

@2WheelNut
b912058760305281f9fb8eafa59fb84e.jpg

@GLFlyer
0efe06368c1bfe40287bfdf5ebc1b482.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for a good ride. Thankfully there was no dirt or mud to worry about.

[ame="https://youtu.be/C0m7_SsgGl0"]November 3, 2018 - YouTube[/ame]

The bikes parked in Maypearl while we had lunch.
9a85b60ee6ac394f498a754b1d261cb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for the wind on the way home... It was a pretty awesome little ride.

My wife is still trying to grasp how we went from Venus to Maypearl and it took over 100 miles. [emoji6]

Thanks Steve... It was great finally meeting you. Same goes for the rest of you guys!

Here's my pics from today...

Awesome view of all the bikes at lunch... I think MacDaddy had a bit of a better angle, but at least this way you can see the side profiles of some pretty awesome Teneres. :)
We are just missing "Nate" here. I think he turned off about 20-30 minutes before lunch.

ca9da775b81b539d0933182ea0d424c7.jpg

2WheelNut's GSA and my Tenere... we've been riding together in one form or another for almost 35 years now. :thumb:

c27947c1cf465b8d719a56b0f29ba64f.jpg

The Motley Crew (minus Nate) at Karen's for lunch. Beautiful day and great food reasonably priced. :eat:

90d6a99c680b2843ab4ec2ed2373eff6.jpg

Since it seemed like "Tenere" day on this ride... thought I'd post one more shot of my new (to me) Ten back home. I'm actually happy that I finally got her dirty. Next time... I'll be looking for a bit more dirt & mud. :rider:

a12f7df79e3f8f90a2157261a70ea69f.jpg

Last edited:
Back