• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: Venus to Maypearl the long way

Correct me if Im wrong.....the long rutted muddy spots were on Bee Creek Rd...right

My biggest issue is ..since Im more of a pavement rider...at least on the Ten...I dont run a skid plate.... & some of those spots had deep potholes filled with water.
You cant judge jus how sharp the angle is in those situations... & a broken engine is no fun...especially on a retirement budget

Last edited:
For real on any budget.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Guessing there was just a little mud, lol.
In a 100 plus miles, there was maybe a 1/2 mile or so of mud.

Personally, I wouldn't call that a lot of mud at all. But if you don't like mud, any mud probably seems like a lot.

There was one section where it was soft and slippery for about 150 feet. That section was both muddy and challenging. The other mud was stable or in short enough sections that you treated it like a puddle so no big deal.

Anyway...it was a fun ride for me but I was glad I was on the GS and not the Super Duke as the 10% off road wasn't really road bike friendly. It was pretty much as advertised IMO though and is why I chose the GS.

Last edited:
Sounds fun to me

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Most everyone else had 50/50 or 75/25 tires... Which can make a difference in your comfort zone on mushy stuff. I kno Phil didnt...he had 90/10s like me
But he's not as verbal about it

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

I'm using Scorpion Trail II's. Advertised as a dual sport tire, they don't give up anything on pavement and handle easy off road too. Not sure what they're classed at, probably 90/10. The mud didn't give me any issues but I have more recent experience and therefore confidence than Rod does in those conditions.
My pucker moments were loose gravel and loose chip-seal in a couple of paved corners. It always feels like you move over a couple of feet when it reality it's probably half an inch.

Yep. Tires make a big difference.

Mud is much more of a challenge on 90/10s than 60/40s or 50/50s.

I felt a bit of sliding in some corners too... But..I guess Im more use to that having encountered loosey goosey gravel on pavement countless times

Lo speed county rds being infinately better than at a pretty good clip....a la FM1473 where the trailers cut the curve...kickin up gravel in the most inopportune spots

Last edited:
Correct me if Im wrong.....the long rutted muddy spots were on Bee Creek Rd...right

Yeah, Brandy/Bee Creek/Bee Creek School roads.

Anyway...it was a fun ride for me but I was glad I was on the GS and not the Super Duke as the 10% off road wasn't really road bike friendly. It was pretty much as advertised IMO though and is why I chose the GS.
Glad I brought the AT as well.

It was a fun, easy ride on the AT. Might not have been as enjoyable on the VFR with street tires.

My pucker moments were loose gravel and loose chip-seal in a couple of paved corners. It always feels like you move over a couple of feet when it reality it's probably half an inch.

Although I was giving up decades of riding experience versus my 6 months of ride time, I did have home field advantage on this ride.

I've chased Mac down these roads many times and knew what to expect at almost every turn. Fun riding them with a different group though.

Ive followed him down a bunch of those roads too...several times...mabe not as frequent as you. Im sure we've been on Bee Creek....jus....a bit drier times

As for "chasing" Mac......its like the Roadrunner & Coyote....no matter how close you think you got....you're still left there with your jaw on the road

Last edited:
As for "chasing" Mac......its like the Roadrunner & Coyote....no matter how close you think you got....you're still left there with your jaw on the road

How true

Well... I really had a great time.

After years of riding the Wing and the track bike... I was actually looking forward to getting the bike a bit "loose". But then again... I do have the Heidenau K60's and a skid plate. Would it be crazy to say that I wanted "more" of that? ;)

Not one person complained if we waited for other's to catch up. That was certainly nice... everyone was very respectful.
Wind sucked on the way home down 67/287... rode sideways half the way. ;)
Other than that... good Ride Leader, good folks, good riding... what more can you ask for? :)

Also... wanted to throw out another Thank You to Rod, AKA Mr2mch for this:

43923583130_cbb188e003_z.jpg

Last edited:
Not one person complained if we waited for other's to catch up. That was certainly nice... everyone was very respectful.

I'm glad you said this. I like group rides, the company and the fellowship, and I look forward to future rides. But I tend to be the last or next to the last guy in the group; I like a slower pace to see the sights. I always worry that I annoy or slow down the group. I hope my participation, like on our recent Cresson/BBQ on Brazos ride, was not a "drag" on the group.

On the Cresson BBQ ride I was more towards the other end of the line (Hard to keep a good Burgman down :-P) and I didn't mind. I like it when everyone can ride their own ride and no one gets lost because we wait at direction changes.

I'm glad you said this. I like group rides, the company and the fellowship, and I look forward to future rides. But I tend to be the last or next to the last guy in the group; I like a slower pace to see the sights. I always worry that I annoy or slow down the group. I hope my participation, like on our recent Cresson/BBQ on Brazos ride, was not a "drag" on the group.
This group of 8 was prob on the verge of needing to split into 2 groups...(10 is too many in my opinion) Not because of any one riders pace...but jus the train effect with lots of bikes.
We were all fine with the pace

Back