• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Veteran's Day Ride

Reaction score
Somewhere by the coast, there’s a little music…
I've got my Saddlesore 1000 done, but now it's pleasure is slowly sinking away in the back of my mind. I do believe it's time for another! There's a 'new' ride for Veteran's Day this year, and I have started to plan a route out. The hope is that the weather should be nice in November, barring rain/snow/national disaster.

The route I've jotted out starts in Hitchcock, with the memorial in Jack Brooks Park, then it's off to San Antonio for Lackland AFB, up to Waco for the Vietnam Memorial, over to Shreveport for Barksdale AFB, down to Lafayette where a veteran's hall awaits, and then to Galveston for the VFW post. The ride is minimum 1,111 miles, and needs to have 11:00 a.m. on the 11th as a time during the ride. My plan has 1,135 miles, nominally, with an estimated drive time of 17 hours and 47 minutes. I think with six-nine gas stops and pulling off of the highways to get to the memorials and bases I may be cutting it close for the gold status (19:18 as the maximum time allowed), but that's not a deal breaker.

I'm still new to the whole planning thing, so any suggestions or "That thing there? That's stupid and you should avoid it" are appreciated! I have two extra veteran's related stops than they require, and I've added the extra miles by coming back into Houston before heading to Galveston. I think ~20 miles is a good breathing gap. I could also drive by the Lafayette stop, saving a bit of time, and the Galveston stop would likely be post-ride, more symbolic than necessary.

Warning about I 10 and35,
i 10 has construction starting east at Santa cLara, by the racetrack, and goes all the way to highway 46 in Boerne.
i35 north has construction starting in s hertz and goes to northof san Marcos
safe bun burner

I was through San Antonio a month ago, and I think timing it right should let me squirt through the I-10 without too much trouble, unless it has gotten worse. I always worry about I-35. It’s been under construction between San Antonio and West it seems like since I was driving it 14 years ago.

A bummer, but hopefully a small one.

Back