• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

::: Viethorse visited GA and ride on Smoky Mountain

Reaction score
Hi all.
I had a good time with TWT friends in Texas, as you can see in this thread.

After getting all my things done in Texas, headed to Atlanta with some other friends and a new riding plan to Smoky Mountain.

Thursday morning, took the 7:45A flight, cheap one, by SouthWest:
DSC02670.jpg

Landed:
DSC02672.jpg

A friend of mine came to pick me up from the ATL airport:
DSC02674.jpg

He left for me this room in his guest house in Atlanta - two beds, with all other stuff i.e. kitchen, laundry etc...:
DSC02685.jpg

Get all my package stored at his house, he drove me to Alabama.
On the way, feel the heat of motorcycle, which I hard to see in Houston:
DSC02687.jpg

DSC02695.jpg

Arrived Alabama:
DSC02691.jpg

And almost there:
DSC02698.jpg

We stopped outside for lunch. The accent of people here make me difficult to understand. However, all the thing around lunch was motorcycle related - all the guys around talking about motorcycle, wearing motorcycle shirts... etc... What an impression!

Into the gate of the Museum:
DSC02706.jpg

DSC02705.jpg

Baber started his collection from 1989.
1994 he opened the non-profit museum.
Now there are around 1200 bikes models showed on 05 stories building.

Front view of the museum:
DSC02709.jpg

DSC02712.jpg

DSC02714.jpg

These Ducaties right at the entrance of the museum:
DSC02719.jpg

Some small stuff:
DSC02713.jpg

DSC02724.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

Well, I have quite a lot photos of many beautiful bikes in there. Don't know if you guys interested in so I can post here. If not, we may skip it.

Trung,

Thanks for taking me along. I have never been to the Barber museum. You're pictures look great.

photo.gif

RB

Thanks RB.
It's really great if you can see the bikes there by your own eyes.
I have told my friend that I just need a tent then let me sleep inside this museum for some days....
Inside, the light is not so good for taking photos. If using flash, the bike will looks funny. So I choose the slow speed shooting. Therefore the photos look a bit red/yellow. Sorry for my bad technic.

The museum is arranged with a "mixture style". Means you can see all kind of bikes (naked / sport / cruiser...) and all year of them (old and new) on the same floor. I have asked the admin there, and he said that 's the intention of them. They don't want anybody come in the Museum and miss some good stuff. They want all the visitor can experience every kind of motorcycle during their visit.

DSC02726.jpg

DSC02725.jpg

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02748.jpg

DSC02747.jpg

DSC02750.jpg

DSC02749.jpg

DSC02755.jpg

DSC02754.jpg

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02762.jpg

and many more....

Thank you for sharing your trip! It looks like a wonderful place to visit. :clap:

Yeah, that 's good place to visit.

--------
During my visit, they have so called a qualification practice of the Vintage bike racer on the track behind the Museum. Enjoy seeing all the beautiful beasts in the Museum and hear the racing sounds from the windows - what a feeling!!

DSC02736.jpg

Oh, this bike looks sick:
DSC02728.jpg

This looks still very new, even the wooden parts:
DSC02771.jpg

DSC02773.jpg

An interesting info is the starting point of this Museum was from three VFR - hehe, as I am a VFR owner also:
DSC02854.jpg

Cool set up - feel like on a track:
DSC02827.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02817.jpg

Never imagined the museum was so nice.
Great pictures.

:popcorn:

For sure you will love that place.
Well, I think that's it for the museum. Actually there are many more bike models, all are so great. I meant you come here and don't want to leave!

Some special stuff, i.e. Micheal Jordan's racing bike:
DSC02824.jpg

Or a steam bike:
DSC02832.jpg

DSC02836.jpg

DSC02838.jpg

Just wanna have them all !!!
DSC02804.jpg

Remember the dinner with my friends, we had to out of the museum and back to Atlanta.
I took a nap in the car then I drove my friend's car on the way back as he seemed also tired after a long day with me to the Museum.

Here was where we had dinner that day:
DSC02894.jpg

The place is a meeting place of Atlanta bikers every Thursday night. That night was the last one before all the bikes are stored in the garages until next year riding season:
DSC02888.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

Great opportunity to meet with Mike Thomas (nick name Mike_On_Bike), who is very impressed to me with his strength and great recovery after a serious accident (he had a high-side which resulted several surgeries all around 6month) now in his body, a lot of places are made by titanium. He got the accident about a year ago, just before mine for about 1 month. We had shared and talked to each other a lot from the time he was in ICU:

He looks great as always:

DSC02890.jpg

DSC02891.jpg

And he could drink well, too:
DSC02900.jpg

Went sleep quite late that night for packing stuff for the long ride from the day after.

Whaaaa? Atlanta has a riding "season"? :doh:

Tell them to put on some proper riding gear and go :rider:

:sun:

Well, I was told that. And that night was very chilly, colder than my last night in Austin. And so for next days.
I was invited to a so called secret place, where all the professional stunters practice and show up. But it was too late, I had to focus on my core trip in the next day.

Friday morning, 12Oct, me and my friend was two-up on his Red VFR to other ridding buddy's house.
Until now, I still don't understand what made he missed the road and went further than the house may be around 10miles. LOL....
At least, we get to the right place, my friend was almost falling into sleep.
Beautiful white pearl VFR was up on the trailer, ready for the trip:
DSC02911.jpg

Getting the bike, check around and make all the baggage organized and ready to roll.
His bike is almost the same as my bike in Vietnam, just the difference is mine is ABS version. It 's really great that he installed the Power outlet on this bike, it's good for me to use it for my GPS. Thank to my great GPS, I brought it from Vietnam, installed the US map myself and it works fantastic since the time I was in Texas.

Our first stop was for gas. Here was the second stop, for our stomachs. Hahah...
DSC02915.jpg

Young friend was so amazing, he got the things so well prepared and organized. He was a bit too excited with the drinks LoL...
DSC02922.jpg

Other was, too:
DSC02921.jpg

You have been caught:
DSC02923.jpg

Then we were heading to the Blood Mountain, where they said it's a good start for a mountain ride.
DSC02924.jpg

Nice lake beside where we stopped:
DSC02933.jpg

The gravel on the right shoulder made my friend dropped his bike:

DSC02928.jpg

Nothing serious, prepared to roll again:
DSC02934.jpg

Nice roads ahead:
DSC02938.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02962.jpg

I could not stay behind the trailer, even though there was a beautiful VFR on it. Push more gas, rode on my own GPS:
DSC02998.jpg

Started feeling the twisties...

DSC02999.jpg

After around 15mins cornering, we stopped at a tourist place:
DSC03011.jpg

Wrestler came in:
DSC03008.jpg

I was there with the RWB VFR:
DSC03010.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

I have no idea why people hang a lot of shoes on this tree:
DSC03012.jpg

At the time we arrived, a singer was sitting infront of the shop, playing a country song with his guitar. Great moment with the nice view, nice song and music, with good friends, in a bit chilly weather.
DSC03014.jpg

We on road again:
DSC03047.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03053.jpg

DSC03061.jpg

We started to see the fall color:
DSC03074.jpg

Fall smell, color and feeling are all around...
DSC03086.jpg

The road and view was too beautiful then, I was so excited, so that I keep riding ahead, passed the entrance of the cabin.

DSC03098.jpg

Rode for a while, not seeing Wrestler in the mirror, I stopped beside of the road to wait:

DSC03102.jpg

DSC03100.jpg

Then I saw him, he asked me to return as I passed the destination.
We head back, and I saw Switchblade, other inmate on the way. We all came to the cabin.

The cabin entrance:
DSC03112.jpg

DSC03129.jpg

Front view of the beautiful cabin:
DSC03114.jpg

04 bikes at that time:
DSC03110.jpg

Friends were offloading food and drinks:
DSC03117.jpg

Some nice view around:
DSC03116.jpg

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03120.jpg

Front yard of the cabin, where we had a big fire on the next day. Awesome place:
DSC03113.jpg

Someone so excited before going for the dinner:
DSC03124.jpg

Dinner menu - Good Friends, Good Food, Good Times:
DSC03132.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

DSC03134.jpg

Saturday morning, discussion for the ride:
DSC03136-1.jpg

BR was ready for his Dragon session:
DSC03137.jpg

8:40AM, we reached the Deals gap:
DSC03149.jpg

A group photo in front of the Deals Gap store. RA was the one taking this pix:
DSC03147.jpg

Took some photos here, it was my dream to be there and ride there:
DSC03142-1.jpg

My great friend:
DSC03145.jpg

Other pics of the place:
DSC03148.jpg

It was quite early so there were not many bikes:
DSC03150.jpg

I sure hope you ran Hwy 28 South from Deal's Gap all the way through Franklin to Highlands... Awesome ride!

I sure hope you ran Hwy 28 South from Deal's Gap all the way through Franklin to Highlands... Awesome ride!
Hey Scott, that 's the one I rode in the next few days. As you said, great twisty road!!

There are various trees around the country where people do this. A very famous tree in the state of Nevada was cut down by vandals in the middle of the night, much to the disappointment of many.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/29064
Thank you, now I know why they are doing so.

Ok, let the time flow...
Kebrider, Switchblade, and probably Adam have done some Dragon laps before. Just me, BR, RollingAgain just arrived.
People was considering of having breakfast first then slay the Dragon. However, I myself was so excited of the fist time there, and I think RollingAgain and BR was most likely prefer do the Dragon right away.
I quickly grabbed a Snickers to ensure my stomach wont do any revolution before the real breakfast.
People was trying to warn me of the dangers and some precautions should be taken..
Then we headed to the Dragon, ****, I was so excited...
I still remember that since beginning of my trip planning, my core is always the Dragon. Well, it quite easy to understand that the Dragon has been being marketing so well, it became a very well-known place. And it seemed to be the only and the most preferred riding place to me, as I had no idea about the Blue Ridge Parkway or Cherohala, etc....
I saw all the guys, BR, Kebrider and his wife, Switchblade are all familiar with the road. They seemed remember every curve on the Dragon. I felt a bit in-confident. I think I did a lot of brakes in front of each decent curve.
Well, I was almost complete one-way of the Dragon.
I think I was a head of BR, RollingAgain and Kebrider's wife.
Then to a left turn corner, I was coming out a bit wide. I realized that right in front of me was the cliff, it was too close. I pulled the brake lever, the bike almost stopped but I could not turn it back to the pavement. Front wheel was on the dirt at the time the bike totally stopped.
I put my right leg down and try to keep the bike up straight. Dang... the shoulder was too low. My **** short feet could not touch the land. The bike slowly turned and dropped to the right shoulder.
Haizzz.... First time there and I did not complete the Dragon!

RollingAgain came in and helped me to put the bike up. I was so lucky that the bike was leaning on the soft soil, so the fairing scratches are minimum.
Kebrider, Switchblade and BR pulled back from the end of the Dragon. They said there was a round 1 mile left. **** it, just a last mile but I did not make it!?
Bike was okay, myself was ok. I asked the guys keep continue to the end of the Dragon.

I dont know what they called this place, but that is the end of 11miles Dragon:
DSC03158.jpg

This girl was on a Vespa and she was cornering so well. I passed her just some bends before wheere I dropped. I think she was the one told my friend that I was in the ditch!! :lol2: She head back early, may be did not want me to slow her down. LOL...
DSC03162.jpg

Some more view there:
DSC03169.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

This 's way back to the Dragon:
DSC03167.jpg

On the way back, I had chance to stop once more time here:
DSC03182.jpg

And had chance to take photo with the Killboy cameraman:
DSC03177.jpg

Big thank to RollingAgain:
DSC03183.jpg

Look at his happy face, I can understand my drop was nothing! LOL !!

He might not have such happy face if he could not find his tankbag. There was a lot of money inside:
DSC03172.jpg

Killboy guy has put up his photos of my friend when he had low side with his beloved 3rd gen VFR:
Sy1.jpg

Sy2.jpg

It was really badluck to him. He loves the bike so much.

Back to the Deals gap resort, more bikes were coming:
DSC03211.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

DSC03200.jpg

I did not have anything to hang on here:
DSC03205.jpg

Someone climbed quite high to hang the stuff:
DSC03208.jpg

Breakfast:
DSC03221.jpg

It's nice place and really impressed me, the things I had only seen on internet:
DSC03222.jpg

DSC03224.jpg

DSC03223.jpg

Dave showed me his big photo on the wall. Great one!
DSC03217.jpg

Done the breakfast, we prepared for Cherohala. I was told that this Cherohala skyway is one of the most beautiful riding road during this season.
So, what to wait for?? Just took some more photos before departure:
DSC03226.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

Left the Deals gap, we rode on the Hwy-80 heading to Cherohala Skyway.

Stopped for fuel:
DSC03231.jpg

My excitement before going to the new road:
DSC03229.jpg

As per my request, Kimball lead us to visit the Cross, where we tribute to a passed away friend:
DSC03234.jpg

DSC03235.jpg

The road after that was really amazing. Left side was the cliff, right side was a river. That day I could not stop to take any photos there. However, I have tried to have some photos during my lonely ride later on.

Fall colors:
DSC03245.jpg

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

DSC03274.jpg

It's very nice curves:
DSC03285.jpg

Dave was heading back and we didn't understand why we stopped:
DSC03287.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

Really great weather to ride out: