• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Vine Covered Wall

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Thanks, Scott.

I'll prime the pump and take some arrows. :mrgreen:

this is a shot that I thought had potential, but just doesn't quite pop for me. Because of the textures, I changed it to sepia and played around with highlights, black, etc. I think a strong crop of just the vines on the side of the barn might help as it feels a little too busy visually. Thoughts? ideas?

745248610_VCByK-L.jpg

crop 1
757733328_PEiG3-M.jpg

crop 2
757738983_8XDGU-M.jpg

original
757745174_zs7Jp-S.jpg

EXIF
Nikon D40
2009/12/19 15:33:50.4
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Color
Lens: VR 55-200mm F/4-5.6 G
Focal Length: 55mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/125 sec - F/6.3
Exposure Comp.: -0.3 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Vivid
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-A
Flash Sync Mode:
Flash Mode:
Auto Flash Comp:
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Normal
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Enhanced
Sharpening: Medium high
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off

Last edited:
Re: Critique My Photo thread...

No expert here as sepia's don't do much for me. Yet I find the slight upward angle along with all the little branches coming in and departing around the perimeter distracting.

Looking at the original, I would be interested in how the window could be treated with the natural light coming through what I presume to be a hole in the roof.... Looks to be some nice wood tones/sunlight tucked in there.

I don't know enough about this stuff but I liked the original color patterns better. Dark outside vs lighted inside. Maybe just crop the left half of the picture out and leave it showing as much building as possible.

Gary....IMO this is one of those photos that has just too much going on within the frame making it real hard to determine what the subject actually is in the photo. Because of the window placement in the lower right corner I want to say that is the subject, but the vines keep pulling my eye away from it....in fact my eye just keeps wandering around the whole scene and can't find a place to stop.

I would have done this:

758006297_MrryU-L.jpg

But that is just my taste...and you may not like my take on your photo which is the great thing about photography there is no real right or wrong just personal taste.

Gary....IMO this is one of those photos that has just too much going on within the frame making it real hard to determine what the subject actually is in the photo. Because of the window placement in the lower right corner I want to say that is the subject, but the vines keep pulling my eye away from it....in fact my eye just keeps wandering around the whole scene and can't find a place to stop.

I would have done this:

758006297_MrryU-L.jpg

But that is just my taste...and you may not like my take on your photo which is the great thing about photography there is no real right or wrong just personal taste.

Thanks, I like what you did with it.
With the feedback, I think it's really 2 separate shots. The vines and the window.

Thanks for all the input.
758023121_yktnr-M.jpg

Yes! To me, this crop has much more appeal. The colors just work well together fading from a B&W to sunshine in the background. And everyone just knows what it is - a barn. Those straggler sticks in the window though.... I'm just not sure about them.

Gary, the window alone does not do much for me because by zooming in so far, it seems to lose context and just becomes a bit abstract. However, cropping the left side and leaving it in the Sepia seems to bring into focus the subject of vines taking over where man has left off... The wall does not really need any other context beyond knowing it is man made and being subjugated by nature.

Attachments

• 745248610_VCByK-L.jpg
    745248610_VCByK-L.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 203

Thanks, Dutch. I do like that b&w a lot.

Back