• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Voltage drop with ignition on!?

Reaction score
So I just wanted to be sure but I guess its not a huge deal but seems a bit odd from what I remember. When I turn the key to on the last few weeks she reads 11.9volts on my cheap man's voltage gauge and verified with a fluke (at the battery terminals) just today so apparently it is accurate. The moment I turn the ignition off she goes to 12.2 pretty quick and slowly climbs from there. Pretty sure I've never seen a dip below 12 volts when the ignition was off. Battery isn't that old (2 years in July) and the bike starts fine but... :doh:

Last edited:
According to your posted description of your added equipment, you are firing HID headlight(s) as soon as the ignition is ON, placing a drain on the battery at rest... even the std headlight would cause a draw, as it comes on with the ignition before the bike is fired up.

I don't think you have anything to worry about!
Don

Sorry I didn't mention that part. Knowing HIDs hate flicking on and off often I actually hold the starter till the bike is running before sparking the HIDs but yes otherwise you would be right! I actually ordered a new battery I think this one is on its way out. I charged it fully one night for over 24 hours put it in the bike turned the key and was fine 24 hours later back to 11.9 after a moment blah... :giveup:

Back