• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

vote YES to proposition 5!

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
Texas constitutional amendment voting for 2019 is upon us and proposition 5 makes it where all the money from sales taxes on sporting goods will go only to state parks and historical work, currently the government takes a large amount of the money and uses it for general use leaving parks under funded.
if you like motorcycle camping and would like to see more areas open up and existing parks get long over due improvements and repair vote yes on prop 5
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/1...-voters-approve-prop-5/?+Texas+Tribune+Master

So, a vote "for" is a yes and a vote "against" is a no, correct?

Correct! Unlike proposed amendment 4 where a vote "FOR" potential Income Tax in Texas is NO and a vote "AGAINST" is a YES. Politics, don't you love it!

Im not sure this would be a good thing.

Next thing you know, it would turn in to another jobs program. Govt employees everywhere you look when you are trying to “get away”. Perhaps earmark half of it and limit what it can be spent on. How about a proposition for no tax on sporting goods?

I think I am for this, but there is an issue with dedicated tax distribution. If it were always a one for one assessment to collection then no problem, but what happens in the likely cases where there is more or less tax collected than necessary. Do excess taxes go into the general fund or does the general fund cover underages? Because of these likely conditions, will there be unnecessary specific government committees and controls established and funded to manage this fund and therefore more government cost? Bigger government may be the unintended consequences.

^^This and what suffers from the decreased tax revenue in the general fund? Increased taxes to cover it? I can only speculate. Why would they offer this? No doubt parks need more money.

Prop 5 passed.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 4.34.45 PM.png

Now to see if we notice a difference. Some parks are in a big need of love.

Let's hope they re-open the camping at Mustang Island state park. The beach was open last summer but the campsites and shower room/bathroom have been closed since the last hurricane.

Let's hope they re-open the camping at Mustang Island state park. The beach was open last summer but the campsites and shower room/bathroom have been closed since the last hurricane.

I think I read in the October issue of Texas Parks and Wildlife Magazine that Mustang Island SP was back open for camping. Restroom replacement was the hold up and they are now done.

It's my favorite area to take the grandkids. The beach does not allow cars except 4x4 to the jetties. We use my annual pass to get in but don't usually camp. We do use the bathrooms at the camping area to shower and change before dinner at Snoopy's or at Port A.

Back