• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Walburg German Restaurant - Wurst time ever

Reaction score
We needed a ride and got a hankerin' fer a late lunch.

My personal cruise director mentioned having heard of some German restaurant in Walburg, so the impromptu research mission and trip planning began in earnest.

Having dialed up as many back roads as possible en route so as to avoid highways and enjoy some scenery, I came up with about an 80 mile ride to check this place out.

Program the Zumo and away we go. Fine weather it was too! The ride through the countryside was tainted only by the growling of the stomach as I pondered the eats waiting, calling me, at the other end of the ride.

I must say that those folks have come up with an original name for their German restaurant, in Walburg. It has been blessed with the moniker . . .

The Walburg German Restaurant

Being a square-head myself, I can make fun of this sort of thing. :lol2:

It was well worth the trip, and unless you want to figure in some time for a nap I'd suggest you be careful around their buffet. :doh::yawn:

There was a plethora of classic German food with many delicacies including a variety of tasty dishes of beef, pork, kraut (x2), tater salad, cabbage rolls, wurst, schnitzel, fresh baked bread (with REAL butter on the table instead of that corn-based chain-lube called margarine). There were also a couple of casseroles, as well as fried catfish and shrimp. YUMMY!

Beside this was a well-stocked salad bar that a meal could easily be made of on its own, were it not for all the distractions to the left.

They also have a wonderful Bier selection, featuring German draft and bottled brews (I had a Spaten Oktoberfest), along with other domestic and imported favorites. The Draft mugs are on the typically German generous side, so be warned.

We heard music playing in the Biergarten, but were too stuffed to attempt anything more strenuous than simply finding our way to the parking lot. Next time I'll plan to spend less of my stay on the buffet and do more exploring. I should have not ordered that slab of German Chocolate Cake (which was delicious!) as it pushed me beyond the envelope into a near food-coma state. :giveup:

After the laborious journey from table to front door, which we proudly managed without calling for professional assistance, we took a brief respite on the bench outside, wishing it were only a little wider and comfortable enough to snooze on for a while.

Alas, nap-time was not to be, so we saddled up the ponies and took the long way home, venturing around Granger Lake. A quick cruise though Friendship Park found the picnic table areas closed (plans for a nap quashed again, curses!), and we then continued on around the Eastern side of the lake. It was a dam site, that's for sure. :lol2:

Retracing our path back to la casa, still longing for that well-overdue nap, it was a pleasant ride home through such stunning locales as Structure, Knobbs Springs, and even, yes, dare I say, McDade.

Walburg's German Restaurant made for a fine destination and a good excuse for several hours in the wind. Check it out if you are in the mood for someplace a little different for lunch or dinner.

:rider::eat::rider:

Last edited:
Re: Wurst time ever

One of the Drumm family favorites.....and my wife usually drives home because they also have St. Paulaner Salvator ON TAP!!!!
The Walburg Boys will entertain everyone with their wonderful folk, country and German music! Prosit!
:clap: :chug:

Re: Wurst time ever

This is a very good place. They have some of the best Brat's in the country and I always buy some uncooked to take home with me. Everything I've had there has been good and authentic.

Have not been there in years and was wondering if it is still open. Need to check it out. I just never drive down I-35 for obvious reasons. Too **** crowded. Austin was never supposed to be like Dallas. But it is now.

We needed a ride and got a hankerin' fer a late lunch.

My personal cruise director mentioned having heard of some German restaurant in Walburg, so the impromptu research mission and trip planning began in earnest.

Having dialed up as many back roads as possible en route so as to avoid highways and enjoy some scenery, I came up with about an 80 mile ride to check this place out.

Program the Zumo and away we go. Fine weather it was too! The ride through the countryside was tainted only by the growling of the stomach as I pondered the eats waiting, calling me, at the other end of the ride.

I must say that those folks have come up with an original name for their German restaurant, in Walburg. It has been blessed with the moniker . . .

The Walburg German Restaurant

Being a square-head myself, I can make fun of this sort of thing. :lol2:

It was well worth the trip, and unless you want to figure in some time for a nap I'd suggest you be careful around their buffet. :doh::yawn:

There was a plethora of classic German food with many delicacies including a variety of tasty dishes of beef, pork, kraut (x2), tater salad, cabbage rolls, wurst, schnitzel, fresh baked bread (with REAL butter on the table instead of that corn-based chain-lube called margarine). There were also a couple of casseroles, as well as fried catfish and shrimp. YUMMY!

Beside this was a well-stocked salad bar that a meal could easily be made of on its own, were it not for all the distractions to the left.

They also have a wonderful Bier selection, featuring German draft and bottled brews (I had a Spaten Oktoberfest), along with other domestic and imported favorites. The Draft mugs are on the typically German generous side, so be warned.

We heard music playing in the Biergarten, but were too stuffed to attempt anything more strenuous than simply finding our way to the parking lot. Next time I'll plan to spend less of my stay on the buffet and do more exploring. I should have not ordered that slab of German Chocolate Cake (which was delicious!) as it pushed me beyond the envelope into a near food-coma state. :giveup:

After the laborious journey from table to front door, which we proudly managed without calling for professional assistance, we took a brief respite on the bench outside, wishing it were only a little wider and comfortable enough to snooze on for a while.

Alas, nap-time was not to be, so we saddled up the ponies and took the long way home, venturing around Granger Lake. A quick cruise though Friendship Park found the picnic table areas closed (plans for a nap quashed again, curses!), and we then continued on around the Eastern side of the lake. It was a dam site, that's for sure. :lol2:

Retracing our path back to la casa, still longing for that well-overdue nap, it was a pleasant ride home through such stunning locales as Structure, Knobbs Springs, and even, yes, dare I say, McDade.

Walburg's German Restaurant made for a fine destination and a good excuse for several hours in the wind. Check it out if you are in the mood for someplace a little different for lunch or dinner.

:rider::eat::rider:

How difficult was it to throw your leg over your motorcycle after those 10,000 calories?!

yours was the best RTE posting I've seen in a long time. I really did enjoy it! you have a real gift for story telling!

John, I am sure glad you posted up about this place. 5 of us rode over there Saturday and had the buffet and I give it a 10. The dessert was also pretty **** good. Definitely will be on my once a month stop.

Steve

Also - head west to Fredricksberg and check out Der Auslander. Same great food and drink.

Having never been to a German restaurant this sounds like a good one to try (and it isn't that far from home).

Your report left me thinking of Mr. Creosote from the Monty Python movie The Meaning of Life. "Finally, monsieur, a wafer thin mint..."

Having never been to a German restaurant this sounds like a good one to try (and it isn't that far from home).

Your report left me thinking of Mr. Creosote from the Monty Python movie The Meaning of Life. "Finally, monsieur, a wafer thin mint..."

"no, I couldnt eat another bite, but, it is ONLY a wafer thin mint". LOL. I have not had German food, but that sounds great! Of course, I am on a diet , so everything sounds great! Back to My broccoli, now.:yawn:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29QfOyuZ3Y"]Mr. Creosote[/ame], a fine comparison indeed. I feel his pain. :lol2:

Gosh. I haven't been there in decades. Used to be a whole lotta fun. Glad to see the report that they are alive and kicking.

Back