• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wanted: A bit of help

I was just PM'd by a TWT member who will be donating a bike to the cause! ...
The bike is now in Rob's capable hands. (Yes...the tank, seat, carb, etc. are in the truck.:deal:) Hoping this works out for Jeremy.

dr650.jpg

The bike is now in Rob's capable hands. (Yes...the tank, seat, carb, etc. are in the truck.:deal:) Hoping this works out for Jeremy.

View attachment 329052

Ooh. DR650. I have a pile of spare parts and a head full of knowledge on how to work on them too. Rode one for 5 years. Reach out if you have questions or need any help!

Guys, if any of you don't know or haven't met Carl (WhiskySmith) yet, he won't be hard to recognize; he's the guy with the halo over his head.. in this pic, it's the top box, lol. What a blessing he is! He has provided the perfect machine for this cause, and he's a genuinely just nice guy. I had the pleasure of meeting Carl and his brother in law Curt today, and after a brief overview of the bike, we three wrestled it into my truck (with the help of my lovely wife, Anna), and got it home safe. The plan is to start on it this week, and will update this post with my progress.

7673219406399841385.jpg

Folks, you won't believe the great offers I've had for monitory contributions, parts and mechanical help, and I can't thank y'all enough for them. Please just keep those commitments on hold for now though, as I have to work through the process to see what will be needed. I'm pretty sure the bike will be easy as pie to get running, Anna paid for a helmet we found on Craigslist, and Nolan (@blupupher) will be donating/delivering a jacket on Monday, so grear progress so far. Thanks for all your support.

Last edited:
This is SO AWESOME! Seems a formal christening party might be in order. Swinging a bottle of champagne at the bike might be overkill but, at least we can pop-a-top or three to make it official.

My neighbor owns the Harris County Smokehouse restaurants. I bet we can get a room and a little support on this. Just a thought.

Standing by for whatever support needed to bring this over the finish line.

BTW, what size halo do you wear, Rydah?

No, no, let's not start that. Guys, this is a team effort, and it's y'all that are wearing the halos. As for the meeting up, I'm all for that (will there be pie?). I'm praying that I can get Jeremy proficient enough within the next couple of weeks. Then comes the hard parts; taking/passing the safety course, getting insurance, getting the bike inspected, registered and title swap. If all goes well, maybe we'll do a September pie run that's fairly close by so y'all can meet Jeremy. I'd love for him to see what angels look like.

That is awesome!
:thumb:

Did you find the airbox in the box of stuff, could not see if it was in the video.

Were you able to take it out for a ride, or was it still raining down there?

Yeah, it was there in the "box of stuff", lol. Man, not 10 mins after you left, the bottom fell out, but it only lasted for about 30mins. Yep, took if for a spin around the block, but it was still sprinkling a bit, so called it good. Bike runs good, but I might need to check the valves; a bit too much engine noise. Thanks again for the jacket. We should have gotten a pic!

Bike runs good, but I might need to check the valves; a bit too much engine noise.

DR’s have a noisy engine, especially with a skid plate reverberating the chatter. Valve check/adjust is very easy though.

Couple tips:

The left side engine plug can be tough to pop loose when the engine is cold. Bust it loose when the engine is hot and check the valves the next day. I always put a little dab of anti seize on afterwards and it’s easier to open again later.

For not too much money, ProCycle sells bent feeler gauges and a valve adjustment tool that make it easier to get fat fingers in there.

What an uplifting thread!

Wife and I took a bit of a break and went up to Eureka Springs for her birthday, but now we're back and the training begins! There's a little park in the neighborhood adjacent to mine, so I'll be using the parking lot for our training sessions. Jeremy gets off work at 1030 each day, and the park is on the way home for him, so perfect for our meetups each day. I'll try to post up videos as we go, so here's day one:

Day 1 - Clutch, throttle, brake

He caught on pretty fast, and is tickled about getting the awesome @WhiskeySmith bike. Helmet fit perfectly (phew!), and I'm sure the jacket will too (thanks again @blupupher). You may notice he's wearing a (really old) pair of boots. He told me he was a size 12, so I gave him my old pair, but after our one hour session, he said they were too short, so I guess he's actually a 12 1/2, or 13. If anyone has an old pair in that size, he could use some. Progress continues!

This is such a great tonic for the strained souls grimacing against the times, and giving is a big relief from it.

Let's talk anti-theft. I don't have much to contribute, but I have a good heavy vinyl covered cable lock I'd be glad to send.

And yeah, that Whiskey Smith guy is pretty alright in my book!

Now that's a great offer! With the apartment he's living in, that was a concern for me too, so I'll send you a PM.

Back