• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wanted: old reliable dirt bike for the farm

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Need something for me and any visiting TWTers to putt around on the farm on. Testing the waters to see what I can find out there. Slowly raising funds by selling off stuff. I may be limited to an old XL250, but heck, that might just work :-) The bike must be able to out run my 9 month old ram, whose sole purpose in life is to head butt me into submission. Ed

LOL ... they are mean old cusses ...

Dig deep ... we aren't very far apart.

How about a KTM380EXC.

At least this beast can out run your beast. LOL
f6ee3917ec7038eab146423be857a492.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Might have him on top speed, but ain't no way that old KTM would outmaneuver the Rammy. He's a bad boy Barbados whose mother ditched him at birth, cause she knew he had the moves and was gonna be trouble. It did not help that he was our first sheep and I did not know you should'nt play head butting games with baby rams as they grow up.
rammy.jpg

Might have him on top speed, but ain't no way that old KTM would outmaneuver the Rammy. He's a bad boy Barbados whose mother ditched him at birth, cause she knew he had the moves and was gonna be trouble. It did not help that he was our first sheep and I did not know you should'nt play head butting games with baby rams as they grow up.
View attachment 48071
EXTRA POINTS FOR INCLUDING THE DOGS !

I think I have shared before but since you brought the topic up. Be safe. :giveup:

P.s. we need a ram chasing a bike gif icon.

Might have him on top speed, but ain't no way that old KTM would outmaneuver the Rammy.
It did not help that he was our first sheep and I did not know you should'nt play head butting games with baby rams as they grow up.

pics of headbutting practice? :lol2:

my KTM certainly would, and I need it out of the garage. make a deal? :trust:

I searched for the right farm bike for years .... finally just left my Drz up there; hence the low miles. No one wants kick any more unless it is a small bike that starts easy.

If you find a good running xl250 it would be up there in price unless you get a buddy deal on twtex.

Any interest in a Yamaha 230?
E-start and a great bike for putting around on. I'm in Austin and wouldn't mind having the extra room in the garage since we ride the KTM 300s instead...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I could use a TTR 230 just fine for what we need here. I street plated a TTR 225 for my wife that we used for single track in the Rockies back in CO. It was amazingly capable for a little piss ant bike. What it lacked in suspension and motor, it made up for by being light and low geared.

I've had so many XL250's and 350's over the years that I still view them as $600-$800 bikes. Most of mine were $400 ones some years ago. I'm just a bit off when I look at these guys pitching them for 1600-2200 on craigslist. Doubt they'd ever get that from anyone who knows theses bikes, but they are sure trying!

...I'm just a bit off when I look at these guys pitching them for 1600-2200 on craigslist.....

I think people believe old torn up scooters are gold mines that we should jump to buy. When in reality a lot of those are just worn out, neglected junk that most would just give away. But, there are always folks who want one of them so bad they pay top dollar. I have sold older bikes for lots more than I had in them because someone offered me the cash. I was never actively selling them, just works out sometimes. I am also amazed you can pick up DR-Z400's for very little in pretty good shape if you look around. They are stone reliable and have enough power to get you stuck way out from home.

He said reliable.
Aka no ktms
I'm not sure why KTM has this reputation.

My experience with KTMs are that they are as reliable as Honda or Yamaha, just higher performing and maybe requiring a bit of maintenance like changing oil filters and cleaning oil screens while the others just run unfiltered oil.

Anyway...my 07 450 XC-W was near bulletproof and I rode and raced it quite hard.

My Super Duke has never had a reliability issue except that it seems to eat tires... :)

Now...I don't think its a good choice for running around a farm though as it's a bit of performance overkill for that need.

I'm not sure why KTM has this reputation.

My experience with KTMs are that they are as reliable as Honda or Yamaha, just higher performing and maybe requiring a bit of maintenance like changing oil filters and cleaning oil screens while the others just run unfiltered oil.

Anyway...my 07 450 XC-W was near bulletproof and I rode and raced it quite hard.

My Super Duke has never had a reliability issue except that it seems to eat tires... :)

Now...I don't think its a good choice for running around a farm though as it's a bit of performance overkill for that need.
I know they are just as reliable as anything when proper maintenance is followed.

I just like messing with ktm guys

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know they are just as reliable as anything when proper maintenance is followed.

I just like messing with ktm guys

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reliable as a Honda or Yamaha, how old are you cuz you been smoking some good S____.

Back