• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wanted: old reliable dirt bike for the farm

"When maintenance is followed"

There are alot of neglected Hondas and Yamahas with hundreds of hours that have never had the valves checked.

I know a guy with a R1200GS who hasn't checked valves in 30k miles. And its had 0 issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boulder Ed, you interested in a 74 Honda Trail 90? A guy down the road from me has one that is in great condition, though it's not really a dirt bike.

Oh no! Don't bring BMW into the mix with Joe.

I'll call your 30K miles and raise you 125K.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Oh no! Don't bring BMW into the mix with Joe.

I'll call your 30K miles and raise you 125K.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
I'm saying bmw is reliable. I just never liked when I had to buy parts

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You couldn't get 125K out of a KTM if you had three spare motors. Jfink only got 3k out of the first motor.

Just for grins: Here is the speedo on a 2005 BMW R1200GS Somewhere I have the speedo pic hitting 200K.. I contributed by 1) busting my butt cleaning up the ST1100 the day before we traded it in on a new GS 2) helping maintain it at least through the first 60K. This bike probably has at least half of its miles offroad on Utah gravel roads. It's well maintained and now has about 206K on it, is the highest mileage GS 1200 in CO I believe, and the owner won't sell it because it is a local legend (and nobody would buy it anyway). His 1970-ish R60 was sold at around 350K with one top end and a few rear main seals. Nothing has been done to this R1200 motor and apparently it now "sounds loose" but still runs fine. It was always smoother at idle than my 07 GSA. This guy puts us all to shame on how much he rides and how little he spends to live on the road, living a good bit of the year in an older fifth wheeler toy hauler with a handful of older bikes to choose from (two 05 R1200 GS's, 2 300KLX's, a DRZ 400, as well as a DR650. His DRZ 400 has not been touched and has over 50K on it.

His secret: close to proper scheduled valve adjustments, with frequent air filter and oil filter changes. And what kind of oil does he swear by? Any brand that looks golden and pours.

Attachments

• dale's GS speedo.jpg
    dale's GS speedo.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
You couldn't get 125K out of a KTM if you had three spare motors. Jfink only got 3k out of the first motor.

Not sure the OP needs 125K miles out of his farm bike to consider it reliable. Point being... reliable can mean other things than just high miles.

I'll take you word about the 125K miles though. I've got 11K on my Super Duke without issue I'm not sure my butt will survive 125K miles on that bike. It's a blast to ride, but not for distance.

Back