• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Washington on the Brazos

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Muxworthy
After doing a little cycle maintenance I had to take a ride. A short ride through Anderson to Washington on the Brazos State Park. Historic birthplace of the Republic of Texas March 2, 1836.

Visited the famous La Bahia Pecan tree. A tangible link to many historical events including riverboats that off loaded cargo at Robinsons ferry on the La Bahia road, the Texas revolution, and settlers fleeing the Mexican army during the runaway scrape. I make it here several times a year to sit under the tree & watch the river. Texas A&M has cultivated this tree and sells the seedlings. This year I have ordered a few trees.

20160217_141152_zps8l93chzb.jpg

20160217_140544_zpsrvuor5d1.jpg

20160217_141127_zpsx25g4vix.jpg

The site of Robinson's Ferry at the confluence of the Navasota and Brazos rivers.
20160217_140311_zpsgieswx2a.jpg

Barrington Farm photos. A working 19th century farm once owned and worked by the Republic’s last President Anson Jones. Next month you can go here and participate in the farm work including plowing with draft horse drawn plow.

Sitting on the porch of the dog trot. Looking towards the slave quarters, barn, & crib.
GOPR0032_zpsctvy04ac.jpg

Kitchen house at Barrington Farm
GOPR0034_zpsuguwefv0.jpg

GOPR0035_zpshkmxgwes.jpg

Smoke house
GOPR0040_zpsyo22uwhg.jpg

Corn & Cotton crib
GOPR0044_zpsz2y1rlw5.jpg

Looking at the Barn from the Crib.
GOPR0045_zpsqtwq7nta.jpg

Always a neat trip to make and a beautiful day for it.

My wife and I will take a trip this year to see some of the important sites to Texas' founding. I'd like to learn more about the seedlings too.

My wife and I will take a trip this year to see some of the important sites to Texas' founding. I'd like to learn more about the seedlings too.

If your coming from afar, you might want to check the schedule of the fanthorp inn in Navasota, Tx. Just down the road from Washington on the Brazos. It's where leaders and signers of the Texas Constitution fled east during the Runaway scrape.
Actually you are coming up on many neat and highly celebrated events dealing with the founding of the Republic of Texas. The week of March 2nd will have many events in San Antonio at the Alamo, and at Washington on the Brazos. Both occurred chronologically close and tied in many respects.
A few links for the trees & celebrations at Washington on the Brazos.
This link provides an email address to inquire about cloned trees. They take about a week to respond to the email.

https://sites.google.com/site/tamuhorticultureclub/la-bahia-pecan-trees

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/washington-on-the-brazos

I will be picking my pecan tree saplings up in a week. TAMU said they have some at thier greenhouse in College Station and at the Washington on the Brazos site.

All good shots, but several have a really good angle/perspective to them :clap:

Thanks , oddly the ones that have a weird type of perspective are still shots from the Gopro camera. I'm liking that little item more & more but it does not have a long battery life so I've had to put a USB charging link on my bike.

Back