• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Watch your tires

Anything more than two wheels gets tires from Walmart. Cheapest radials in stock. Usually one size bigger than stock if wheels can handle it for more weight capacity and longer lasting.

Traveled a lot, so wanted a source with most possible open hours, (usually 2 shifts 7 days at Walmart) and likely to have tires in stock so easy, quick replacement instead of repairs. Also, toss the space saver (if so cursed) and rig a matching to the rest spare tire and wheel. Five-tire rotations at 10,000 miles. Usually get 60-70,000 miles out of the cheap tires with 40-50,000 mile warranties, and still 4-5 32s tread depth--I don't run tires down to nothing. Since back then I was driving 20-30,000 miles a year wasn't much worried about time as tires were replaced about every 2.5 to 3 years due to wear.

Tire problem means quick change to matching spare and continue rest of the day, stopping at a convenient Walmart at meal time so very little lost travel. Started this ride in the late 1980s, so been doing it about 40 years. Even with the cheapest radials in stock in 40 years I've had only 2 road failures. First one a roofing nail in the edge of the tread, woke up one morning to a flat tire, not repairable, replaced for about 1/4 regular price because lots of tread still on tire. Second, a length of pipe came scooting out from underneath a pickup in the next lane, under mine, and cut the inside wall of the rear tire. Replaced for tax amount because nearly new.

Only other bad experience also not Walmart's fault. Put a couple on a trailer, towed 1100 miles, parked it exposed to west Texas weather. 8 years later, dry rotted. Only had to pay excise tax on the replacements since tires still had 98% tread. Since then trailers parked outside are on 2x8s, with RV tire covers. Usually worn out before timed out, anyway.

First Walmart tires LT235/75R15 LRC on 15x7 white 8 spokes on a 1964 C10. Travel trailer had the same bolt pattern, Original 15x5.5 wheels, and 7.00-15 6ply tires on both. 7.00-15 LRC tires were tough to get in highway treads even back then, so switched. They also got the Walmart tires on 8-spokes. The 235s have about the same load capacity as the 7.00s, but are an inch wider and an inch shorter. Also, radials instead of bias. Also twice the warranty miles. Also 1/2 the price. The swap made a huge positive difference in ride, handling, and braking, both with an empty truck and with the trailer attached. So, every 10,000 miles when tire rotation came around, 8 tires instead of 5. Put about 90,000 miles on the truck and maybe 12,000 on the trailer, and tires still had good tread.

Thanks Gary, I'll come back here when I'm ready to buy.

Give us a follow-up picture.

83 deg stems leave plenty of room for air chuck and gauge.
3014C936-3575-4BB6-B9C8-84E283B7A6FA.jpeg

2EF50860-73CB-4D0E-ACC5-36D6E2BBD90E.jpeg

Back