• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Watch your tires

I did not read through the comments but here is what I know. On a trailer that is going to sit buy bias ply tires. Age and sitting does not affect them much but they don’t last as long as radials. My cattle trailer tires are 11 years old and it gets used two or three times a year.
The other trailers are used almost every week so those get radials.

And I know that's got to kill you throwing away 90% tires like that. It would me. But as you mentioned, it's a time bomb waiting to go off.

oh yeah, they're very weather checked. amazed they hold air so well.

I did not read through the comments but here is what I know. On a trailer that is going to sit buy bias ply tires. Age and sitting does not affect them much but they don’t last as long as radials. My cattle trailer tires are 11 years old and it gets used two or three times a year.
The other trailers are used almost every week so those get radials.

Id love to be able to buy a quality bias tire but there’s no chinese garbage on anything I own . My flat trailer has 25 year old bias that look really good but they weren’t around much longer after that before they quit selling them . Carlisle still offers them but they are not American made and aren’t as good as the Goodyear endurance . Third world tires will get you home if you don’t have another choice but that’s about as far as I’ll trust them .

we almost lost our wing truck and a trailer with 2 B-17 engines on it heading to Idaho, when a Chinese tire on front that looked fine had the tread separate and blow. only luck and driving skill saved it all.

Id love to be able to buy a quality bias tire but there’s no chinese garbage on anything I own . My flat trailer has 25 year old bias that look really good but they weren’t around much longer after that before they quit selling them . Carlisle still offers them but they are not American made and aren’t as good as the Goodyear endurance . Third world tires will get you home if you don’t have another choice but that’s about as far as I’ll trust them .
And yet I run shinko tires on my bike and have had 0 issues except they wear quickly. $85 tires that last 3500 miles and stick like glue in the corners and they are almost never out of balance when mounted.
I’ll give you that Chinese tires don’t wear well.

ha, reminds me of the MX days when I couldn't afford Metzlers, so I ran Cheng Shin or something like that. They did wear fast, but those knobbies stuck like glue for a few races. more money for beer!

ha, reminds me of the MX days when I couldn't afford Metzlers, so I ran Cheng Shin or something like that. They did wear fast, but those knobbies stuck like glue for a few races. more money for beer!
I change and balance my own tires so buying a tire 1/3 the cost is a no brainer.

I hauled a bike back from big bend a couple years ago with shinko tires plenty of tread most of the way around but it started shedding tread chunks as he came over the big hill on 118 on the way in . My life is worth more than a few bucks to me , I don’t skimp on rubber for my bikes , trucks or trailer . my trailer has over 500 bucks worth of tires on it but when I hit the road I’m not afraid to set the cruise at 80 when I get to Wyoming or west Texas . and if I didn’t have to make p breaks I could run 500 miles at a time .

and if I didn’t have to make p breaks I could run 500 miles at a time .

:lol2:

FYI- last year I had a new set of bfg at2s installed on the f350 srw- (great tires, although they don’t get the miles of a less aggressive Michelin at) at discount.
About a month ago, I found one flat one morning, when I went to air it up the rubber valve stem pushed inside the tire, then popped back out. I took it to the local llanteria, to avoid the huge line at discount and he found a screw. He had me run to oreilly for a new stem, and once we pulled them and compared, it appears discount used the wrong stem- much shorter shoulder than the one I replaced it with. These are the stems with sensors screwed in. Definitely cause for concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also learned it the hardway, about at the exit to the Bonneville Salt Flats in UT. Had to get a tow back to Wendover, junk tire put on and limp to salt lake in a blazer one time. Just trying to get her back to Co from CA where I'd got a good deal on it.

And just last week I helped a lady change a tire in her van right in front of my house. She had three small kids jumping around and had been riding on cord for some time. I installed the spare then discovered all of 12 psi. I got the vehicle to my house and filled air, and got her back on the road. But, remember to check air in the spares that never get used!

And yet I run shinko tires on my bike and have had 0 issues except they wear quickly. $85 tires that last 3500 miles and stick like glue in the corners and they are almost never out of balance when mounted.
I’ll give you that Chinese tires don’t wear well.

The last pair of Shinkos I ran on my older VStrom went 7500 mi on the rear tire, and over 12K on the front. I've recently gone back to a Shinko 705 front, after several years of Michelin and Metzeler. Frankly my only complaint so far is that it's a bit noisier.

The last pair of Shinkos I ran on my older VStrom went 7500 mi on the rear tire, and over 12K on the front. I've recently gone back to a Shinko 705 front, after several years of Michelin and Metzeler. Frankly my only complaint so far is that it's a bit noisier.
That's good to hear, got one on the rear and I know you have made some long distance work too with them.

I also learned it the hardway, about at the exit to the Bonneville Salt Flats in UT. Had to get a tow back to Wendover, junk tire put on and limp to salt lake in a blazer one time. Just trying to get her back to Co from CA where I'd got a good deal on it.

And just last week I helped a lady change a tire in her van right in front of my house. She had three small kids jumping around and had been riding on cord for some time. I installed the spare then discovered all of 12 psi. I got the vehicle to my house and filled air, and got her back on the road. But, remember to check air in the spares that never get used!
My truck has a full size spare, a plug kit, and a compressor. I carry spare tubes, tire irons, and a compressor on the bike too. I can't imagine traveling without that stuff.

Jumped on the Strom yesterday and immediately knew I had a flat. I circled back to the garage and found this...
80E1E8BA-5240-4D1D-8724-8D0BE9B7C574.jpeg

New 90deg metal stems ordered this morning.

Yikes. How long was that on there?
On another moto forum there was a guy that boasted about how long he has run his stems with no failures and gave some flawed logic they would last 1M miles. At some point he had one fail and changed his tune.

I don't trust rubber 90 degree valve stems, see too many break just like the pic. For me, 90 degree stems must be metal base.

That is straight rubber shorty. I popped another in to get me by until my metal ones show up next week.
859EDA73-2114-4389-90F9-A920E48B86EC.jpeg

FF4C7E66-DA34-4107-A446-191B8AC0CD58.jpeg

Jumped on the Strom yesterday and immediately knew I had a flat. I circled back to the garage and found this...
View attachment 263348

New 90deg metal stems ordered this morning.
Can I get a Amen, I mean , a link?

This seem to make great sense to me since I will probably need to replace both tires sometime late this year and they have original stems from 2017.

I have a feeling stems take a beating because we tend to bend them to get the air Chuck seated when filling the tires (at least I do).

Available from lots of places.

These are 83deg. I figured 90deg. would work but might be so close to the flat surface it might be inconvenient with the air chuck that way. These are the ones i ordered.

These are 83deg. I figured 90deg. would work but might be so close to the flat surface it might be inconvenient with the air chuck that way. These are the ones i ordered.

You are right about chuck interference. I put one of the low-profile cast aluminum 90 degree stems on a wheel and had to add an extension to get the chuck to fit. :headbang:

The taller ones with a bend to them ought to offer enough height to provide clearance. As might the 83 degree you mentioned.

I put the 90 degree stems on everything without a tube, but apparently I won't be putting them on the SMCR as it has a liner with an included stem to remain tubless with spokes. On sport bikes it can be difficult to put air in with the big rotors so I always put them on.

I just use straight stems but get them as short as possible. My pressure gauge has a 90deg end on it. I did not readily find an air chuck with a 90deg head so I took a lead hose that has a swivel and put a standard air chuck on it. A bit clumsy but reaches under the rotors well enough.

Thanks Gary, I'll come back here when I'm ready to buy.

Give us a follow-up picture.

I just use straight stems but get them as short as possible. My pressure gauge has a 90deg end on it. I did not readily find an air chuck with a 90deg head so I took a lead hose that has a swivel and put a standard air chuck on it. A bit clumsy but reaches under the rotors well enough.

I found one of these floating in that big river in Brasil ... and it is great for getting into those tight spaces and lets you inflate/deflate while easily monitoring pressure.

61Op4%2BjWSOL._AC_SL1146_.jpg

Back