• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

We have a heartbeat!!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab Well, after three miscarriages ranging in age from 3 to 5-1/2 weeks, we finally have a fourth baby that has made it to the stage of having a heartbeat. Sitting there in the doctor's office, I could see the heartbeat immediately when she started the ultrasound. Then she narrowed in on it with the Doppler and we listened to it for a minute. That moment is indescribeable.

:tab 158bpm... the kid is buzzing like a hummingbird! According to the doctor, the chance of miscarriage drops to about 5% once the heartbeat has been detected. Despite the fact that so many other things can happen later in a pregnancy, we are finally able to relax and get a little excited, something that was hard to do with the last two after the previous miscarriages. I'd swear if you look real close at the ultrasound pics, you can see the baby flexing it's throttle hand... :-P

Adios,

:-D
Being a father I have an idea of the thrill you must have experienced and having lost a child during pregnancy I know the anguish you have felt as well.
Congratulations :chug: and our prayers will be with you.
-sbaker

Outstanding! Congratulations.

Our first (boy) is 15 months old now. It's so amazing.

Something few people talk about: We are firm believers that the mental state of the mother during pregnancy has a significant impact on the attitude of the child. Try not to worry about every little thing. Continue to laugh a lot, and have a positive outlook on life. I swear it makes a difference later on.

Awesome News!!!
That makes three people around me who are now pregnant. Must be something in the water.... I guess I should stop drinking the water!

So, you're saying that it may be time to start preparing yourself for late-night bottle feedings and sleep deprivation? :-P ;-)

I'm sure it will all be worth it, though. You and Beth are about to embark on the biggest adventure of your lives, and I envy you that in a certain way. 8-)

Very Large COngrats there Scott and Beth.

We are only one week away and I can tell you that while the last nine months have been wild, I am expecting the next 18 years to be even more so. Im not even sure I really have any idea what is really coming.

Anyway, I am really happy for you two and wish you all the best.

Gotta go, time to head out for the ice cream ;-)

Re:

Scott: Congratulations to you and your wife Beth......!!!!!

Ana & I will be praying for a Happy ending.......!!!!!

Wow-congrats...

We went through a miscarriage-always so disappointing and heartbreaking. We also have 5 lovely kids-4 of who are teenagers right now (5th will be in December!)..Bring on the long rides. :eek:

I'll keep you and the baby in my prayers. We lost our first one to a miscarriage and were really hit hard by the loss. Over the next three years we were blessed with two beautiful baby boys. Those rascals are 27 and 29 years old now, and have been a real joy to us. I'm glad things are progressing well for you. Blessings from the Rev.

Scott,

Congrats to you and the misses... We had two miscarriages before Victoria Erin, so I know how it is on both parties. We already had the adoption process going...

But a warning, Spencer George was kind of a surprise! Once things work, apparently they work.

Bad news is - the kiddoes sure cut into riding time...pretty soon you'll be like me, with your character count exceeding your mileage.

Believe it or not, you'll be okay with it :chug:

Daryl

:tab Unless I have to sell the bike, I'll still get to commute and do the occasional weekend or evening ride. I think mostly it will be the out of state trips that go by the wayside... Short of dire financial straits, I just can't see not having a bike :-|

:tab Don't worry though, TWT is not going anywhere ;-)

Adios,

Congratulations. What ever you do, don't sell the bike(s). The ability to justify buying another one just went WAY up. Been there done that.

Hope everything works out for the best. Since you are a night owl, I guess I know who is elected to do the late night feedings.

One piece of advice, Leather, rocking, la-z-boy recliner. Bigger the better. Slept many a night rocking a baby in ours.

Congrat to Scott and Beth!

As the dad of a 15 y.o., a bit of advice: enjoy every moment when they're young, cuz they soon reach the age where they want nothing to do with you, and you can't just reach over and kiss 'em whenever you want... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
babiesrFUN

Congratulations to yall , itll be worth every minute you have to give up ! i promise when you hold that baby inyour arms (or the palm of my hand ) for the first time youll understand what life is all about !my little girl is 6 going on 16 and if her mother and i would have stayed together , we could have had lots of fun . so now my weekend rides are only every other weekend , but , i swear i have just as much fun with my daughter as i do on my bike , its just as fullfilling . GOD BLESS YALL , and ill remember yall in my prayers , patience will come , i promise youll need it ! if ya need any toys , rockers baby stuff let me know as ive got a whole attic full of that stuff , and im fixing to move so ill be glad to give it to ya . really enjoy this site and appreciate what you have done for the texas riders , we all do , your one handed typing skills will improve dramatically after the baby is born !!!!!!! enjoy your pregnancy and i agree with the other feller that said keep a light heart and lots of music going for the baby , cuz they can hear it even from the very first !,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,casey

Congrats Beth (why is Scott getting all the credit) :lol:

Joan just went to the Dr again yesterday, we are at 10 wks.

Got to hear the heartbeat again. Now just have to wait to see what we are having. Common be a girl (already got 2 boys)

buck000 said:
Congrat to Scott and Beth!

As the dad of a 15 y.o., a bit of advice: enjoy ever moment when they're young, cuz they soon reach the age where they want nothing to do with you, and you can't just reach over and kiss 'em whenever you want... ;-)

What he said. I have 13 and 15 y.o. boys that know more than I ever will and have no use for me at all :-( (except when they need moola :roll: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Scott,

Congrats on the news! I hope every thing goes well this time. My wife and I lost twins @18 months. I know the loss very well. I know now that God's hand is in every thing and I'll keep you and beth in my prayers.

I'll start shoping now for infant size ride gear. :bigokay: :clap

So a little over 14 years has gone by since I posted this. The baby was Sarah. She's now in 8th grade, has been to countless bike nights, her first when she was exactly one week old. She was at the first Pie Run in Hico 14 years ago at only 6 weeks old.

About to leave the hospital
DSC02932.JPG

How I worked on Two Wheeled Texans late into MANY nights...
DSC02951.JPG

The very first Pie Run in Hico, Jan 2005
DSC03144.JPG

Sporting her TWT swag early on!
DSC03358.JPG

At one of our Hodges Gardens rides we used to do before the park closed down
DSC03397.JPG

Here first trip to Colorado, 7 months old.
DSC04050.jpg

The water was a tad cold for her liking!
DSC04066.JPG

Making new friends outside of Poker Alice's Cafe in Lake City
DSC04105.JPG

Enjoying the view from the top of Engineer Pass
DSC04125.JPG

Tuckered out from a week of high country adventure...
DSC04167.JPG

Here she is later in the year, checking out the bike she would later learn to ride on six years later.
DSC04462.JPG

I BRIEFLY toyed with the idea of getting a Ural...
DSC04476.JPG

Here she is during one of our maintenance days, about 2-1/2 years old, and she already has a "thing" for motorcycles
IMG_0330.JPG

Making sure my KLR passes inspection before I leave for Mexico with Richard "Trailboss"
IMG_0395.JPG

Here she's learning about all the parts of a motorcycle... and generally getting in the way
IMG_5122.JPG

In a parking lot full of bikes, this is the one she wants to pose with... Making daddy proud! :-P
IMG_5362.JPG

She gets her first big bike around five years old. I tell her that when she can ride without training wheels, we'll start shopping for a motorcycle...
DSC_1631.JPG

It takes her a while to learn to ride without them, over a year in fact. It was not until a visit from Steve "Desmo" Tanner to our home where he teased her about her younger brother being able to ride without training wheels that she demanded I remove them right then! A day later she was having a blast and doing great!
DSC_3483.JPG

A few months later, we bought a house outside of town. Right after that, I came into a sweet deal on a KTM 530 EXC. When I arrived to pick it up, I spotted a mint CRF50F in the corner of his garage. It belonged to his daughter, but she agreed to sell it to us. We did the deal right there on the spot and got a mint bike for half the price of a new one. The kids were ecstatic!
IMG_0679.JPG

Anxious to try it out!
IMG_6653.JPG

Test sitting my KTM while she was at it
IMG_6654.JPG

The helmet we had didn't fit well... so off to the bike shop in Conroe... She wore it all the way home! :lol2:
IMG_0720.JPG

By now, she has a fearless younger brother that is WAY more anxious to get on the bike than her! But he has to wait...
IMG_0731.JPG

Before I turned them loose, I would ride around on the back of the bike and let them steer and brake, or do the gas while I steered and braked. Basically, I wanted to be sure they could handle the basic controls and not run into everything in the yard. It did not take them long to master the basics.
IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Her brother was like a fish taking to water when I removed the training wheels. She took a little more time to adjust, but once it clicked, she did great!
IMG_0888.JPG

It soon became obvious one bike for the kids would not be enough to go around. I fell into another sweet deal on a TTR50E,
IMG_7284.JPG

My folks have 7 acres of woods and we cut trails for the bikes. They live a few miles away so we'd try to ride whenever we could.
IMG_7740.JPG

A trip to Outlaw Trax - Sarah soon discovers she is not a fan of riding in deep sand.
IMG_7769.JPG

I drilled them on swerving, braking, stopping, standing up, etc,...
DSC_3959.JPG

I had a chance for Sarah and Daniel to get private lessons (the other kids all bailed at the last moment!)
DSC_4161.JPG

They had a blast :lol2:
DSC_4223.JPG

At 8-1/2 years old, her feet finally reached the passenger foot pegs and she got to do her first ride with me!
IMG_8260.JPG

IMG_8261.JPG

IMG_8263.JPG

Out of the blue I was contacted one day by another TWT user that wanted to know if I would like to have a FREE XR80R? I wondered what the catch might be, but it turns out his grandkids just don't ride it anymore and he'd seen the pics and vids of my kids riding and thought they would like to have it! So we eventually picked up and Sarah started trying to ride it, her first time with a clutch...
SVF_3488.jpg

It was a tad tall for her, but she seemed to be doing great
SVF_3502.jpg

She did great the first few days, but then when trying to stop one day, she accidentally grabbed a fist full of throttle while trying to use the front brake. The reach to the lever was just a bit far for her. She took off across the yard wide open and eventually went straight into the chain link fence, which turned out to be a blessing because it acted like a giant net and slowed her before she fell over. After that, she was afraid of the clutch. She was too big to stay on the 50's, so I started shopping around and settled on a CRF110. The CRF110 is slightly smaller in height than the XR80R and there is no clutch.

My KTM 530 EXC, the XR80R, the CRF110, the CRF50 (now Rachel's bike) and the TTR50E (Daniel's)
SVF_6322.jpg

Shortly after getting the new CRF110, we attended a TWT Family gathering at a small MX park near Caldwell. Sarah's first serious rides on the new bike turn out to be mostly in the rain and mud, but she didn't seem to mind at all.
SVF_6434.jpg

SVF_6523.jpg

SVF_6529.jpg

SVF_6545.jpg

Giving Rachel some pointers about avoiding fences no doubt :-P (that fence had recently been crushed by a tree knocked down in a storm).
SVF_6954.jpg

We had another family weekend at a local riding park... and she had to deal with her nemesis! She fell a few times, but eventually got it down and was able to get through it numerous times without falling. She was very proud of herself, as was I!
SVF_8314.jpg

Here she is, eleven years old now, riding with me on the GS to enjoy the Spring flowers near Anderson, Tx.
SVF_8370.JPG

In the fall of 2016, while she was still eleven, I took her on a big adventure ride with three other riding buddies. She was the only kid. We were two up on my GS and the other guys were all on big KTMs. We made a big loop from Farmington, NM., across Southern Utah, then up toward Salt Lake City, back across to Colorado, and then down the West side of Colorado, eventually coming down through Pagosa Springs and back to Farmington. We did a LOT of dirt roads high up in the mountains and she loved every bit of it!
750_7274.jpg

P1080766.jpg

IMG_1965.JPG

P1080768.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

So it has been 14 years, the blink of an eye. We don't get to ride as much as I'd like, nothing new. Hopefully, in 2019 we will be able to do more rides on the GS and on the dirt bikes.

Last edited:
You are lucky to have a beautiful family, brother. Your daughter will grow up knowing a love of riding and a bond with her dad that'll last a lifetime, as I'm sure all of your kids will. Great pics, you've got my envy for how much pride and joy they must bring you.

Back