• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Weekend getaway

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Jennings
***Warning***
This is not your average trip report. There may be some images in that some might find disturbing, especially if you are eating. :mrgreen:

A few weeks ago my wife Heather was having what seemed like an overly stressful evening and mentioned something about just wanting to get away. Hey I'm always one to please so I piped in “You wanna go somewhere?”. A quick look at the calendar showed we both had Sunday the 15th and Monday the 16th off. A quick call to my aunt and uncle and the kids were taken care of for that weekend. So that was it we were going somewhere.

Roswell was mentioned at first. The thinking was we could ride there all day Sunday. Get a room wake up get a goofy alien t-shirt then come home. Well Highway 380 between Sherman and Roswell just does not look that appealing so I started thinking of other destinations.

I had never been through any of the National Forests in Texas so plans were made to visit a couple of the big green spots on the map. My mother had left a camera with me at Christmas with instructions to finish the roll with pictures of other family members. So College Station and a free bed would be the final destination for the first half of our weekend getaway.

The day started good. When asked when we were leaving the night before I said 8:00 in hopes that we would get out at least a little before 9:00. Well at 9:00 on the dot we pulled out of the driveway. Temp was good in my book. I would much rather ride in the mid 50's that in the the mid 90's. Highs in central Texas were supposed to be in the 70's so I knew it was going to be a good day for a ride. :thumb:

To the stop sign on the corner and we were on highway at long last. I shifted a little in the seat, Heather did the same. Then she did it again. Wait, that wasn't a shift, it was a tap on my thigh. In case you don't know that's what people that don't have communication systems do to let the other know something needs to be said. After a trip back to the house we were back on the road this time Heather had her long johns on. :phead:

We hit Highway 69 just south of Sherman and headed to the first mental way point, Tyler which was the end of the familiar territory and where the scenery started to change for the better with pine trees and rolling hills. Breakfast was in order so I planned to find something in Greenville to eat. So enters the Royal. I knew it was the spot when I saw it down the road. Someplace we had never been and the parking lot was full. Always a good sign. :eat:

1royal.jpg

2royalbreakfast.jpg

I had scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast. Heather had a bacon and egg biscuit.

3royalbr.jpg

The bathrrom at the Royal was not that bad compared to some that we would visit on the trip.

Full and ready for whatever was ahead of us we hit the road again. South on 69 and around Tyler. Next stop Jacksonville for a tasty hamburger.

7-8.jpg

Whataburger has my vote for best fries anywhere in the world.

9outwb.jpg

8wbbathroom.jpg

Nice clean bathroom.

4map.jpg

I looked over the map to get a bearing on where I wanted to go.

6jacksonvillebr.jpg

After filling up our stomachs in Jacksonville we filled up the gas tank. The bathrrom was not that good. Glad I went in after I ate or I would have more than likely lost my appetite.

I decided we would turn off highway 69 at Alto and enter the Davy Crocket National Forrest there from the northeast corner. Past Weches then a left on 227 to Ratcliff. Over on 7 to 357 to Apple Springs then 94 over to Groverton and we had the first National Forrest knocked out.

12moundparked.jpg

We stopped at some Indian mounds in the Davy Crocket Forrest.

11mound.jpg

The sign talks about a village that used to be here in prehistoric times. Just farmland now.

10diaper.jpg

Some people are just stupid. I wonder what they would think if I dropped of my dog poop in their front yard. :thumbd:

While filling up in Groverton I looked over the map to see what was next. There were a couple of options. We could take 94 in to Hunstville then 30 to College Station and call it a day. I knew I wouldn't be satisfied with just one National Forrest though so it was 94 to Trinity.

13grovertonbr.jpg

This was the worst bathroom on the trip.

15nastysink.jpg

So is washing your hands really necessary when the sink looks like this? :puke:

14riding.jpg

Zoom, zoom

There were a couple of roads that crossed Lake Livingston and those were our next destinations. At Trinity a quick left on 356 and it quickly became apparent that this area of Texas was desperately in need of rain. Lake levels were WAY down. At one KOA campground near Onalaska it was plain to see that there used to be a nice little waterfront. Not now. Dry as a bone.

As you travel south on 356 you can see the 190 bridge that crosses the lake. I pointed it out to Heather knowing that she would be thinking I'm glad we're not crossing that! Well at 190 I turned right and headed to the bridge. I know, I'm mean.

190 to Huntsville and a brief state of confusion looking for 30 and we were close to the end of day one. Turns out I was a little premature in my turning so we mad a u-turn at Park Road 40 and were soon on the right path.. Daylight was fading fast and I told my mother we should be there before dark so I cranked it up on 30 and made pretty good time to College Station.

Mom had the garage door open and an open invitation to Olive Garden for dinner with her friend. We decided on Wings N' More instead. Heather had mild wings and a beer and I had Lemon Pepper wings and water. Fried mushrooms for an appetizer rounded off the meal.

17wings.jpg

19momsbr.jpg

It was a good day with some nice riding. The bad bathrooms were a small price to pay. I knew that moms bathroom was nice and comfy.

After dinner we went to McBuster, or BlockDonalds whichever you like (just so you know it's a McDonald's and Blockbuster built next to each other that has an open door inside joining the two). We. rented Dukes of Hazard to watch. Let me just take a moment to warn you about the movie. That had to be one of the top 5 worst movies I have ever seen. That's ok though I was pretty much buried in the map looking for tomorrows route. I did manage to look up whenever Daisy Duke was on though. Heather was already asleep on the couch next to me so she was none the wiser.

Somehow Dublin came up in conversation over dinner so I was looking at good ways to get there. There was a good chance of rain foretasted for the BCS area on Monday so that weighed into my decision making since Heather has never ridden in the rain .

Initial plans were to head to Round Rock, then to Marble Falls and head to Dublin. Well upon waking at 7:45 to a light rain I made the decision that we would just head home on 45 to minimize the rain riding for Heather's sake

As I came up on the exit for 21 to Madisonville I decided to go ahead and go to Hearne on 6 that maybe take 114 to 45. I had a plan formulating in my head I just wasn't sure what it was yet. We got to Hearne, stopped at McDonald's because I know heather likes their breakfast and it was surely my fault it was raining. The first thing I asked was if she was alright? The answer was yes. Not a yes because it doesn't matter since we are going to be riding like this all day, but a genuine, from the heart yes.

18mcdmap.jpg

Well this called for more map time. You see the plan that had formed in my head was that if the rain was coming through with a cold front we should be able to punch through the front and it would be dry on the other side. I decided for time purposes we would just go out 6 all the way to Dublin. I had traveled 6 east of Waco and knew it wasn't that bad of a road. :rider:

20mcdtrash.jpg

The morning rush at McDonald's must have caused the trash can to back up. Other than that it was pretty nice.

Did I mention time. We left Mom's a little later that planned because just after I tucked my pants into my boots, put my rain pants on, had my jacket on and said lets go my loving mother asked if I would run to the store and pick her up some Canola oil. Sure Mom, love ya.

21riansucks.jpg

Anyway 6 it was. It never rained hard on us just that kind of drizzle that would require the intermittent wipers in the car so all in all the trip to Waco was nice. After Waco the roads dried up and it was smooth sailing the rest of the way temps in the high 60's and a smile on my face.

I''m convinced that the lack of any serious rain we experienced was because we both put all of our rain gear on before we left the house in the morning. Had we not it would have been downpours all day. :trust:

Pretty uneventful trip up 6 a few deer in pastures and a few dead ones on the side of the road warning me to keep a watchful eye. OH, OH, I saw not one but two live armadillos on the side of the road. A rare sighting indeed around my parts.

We hit Dublin and stopped at Doc's for a couple of sandwiches and some pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper. We were refreshed but in need of gas. Stopped at the Citgo across the street and got gas and a six pack of pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper. For 2 bucks cheaper that the Dr. Pepper store. How's that?

22littlegirl.jpg

Want some Dr. pepper little girl?

23dpstore.jpg

Doc's had some good sandwiches. When you go in you fill out a form that makes up your order. Heather and I both filled out our forms seperatley and we both ended up with the same thing. Roast beef with swiss on sourdough. Kind of weird since we really don't like each other. :roll:

26pilot.jpg

The last pit stop of the trip in Weatherford.

377 to 281 to 20 got us to Weatherford where we hit 51. North on 51 through Decatur on to Gainesville and then 82 to Sherman and we were home. Not a real long trip 770 miles but it sure was good to getaway for a couple of days.

25homebr.jpg

It was nice to be home though. We have an executive reading room that has only the best editions of my periodicals. :rofl:

We went to pick up the kids and deliver my uncle his pure cane sugar Dr. Pepper and things are back to normal. My 10 year old son is sick and grumpy, my 7 year old daughter is tired and grumpy, and I had 100 something new e-mails. So, how soon before we can go again?

Chris that was a nice report. I freaked when I opend it though. I was moved by my parents from Maryland to Greenville when I was 11. I lived there till it was able to move out just after high school. The Royal was the hang spot at that time. I hated that town and have only visited twice but both times I stopped at the Royal and had a bite to eat. Still better then DQ but not much.
I need a theme for my trip reports, yours seems to be fast food and the bathrooms that it causes us to visit.

this may be the best trip report i've ever read. It answers all your questions about where to find the best and worst of the essential services. Morning News travel writers should do half as well!

:tab Are you like a dysfunctional janitor wannabe :brainsnap :lol2:

:tab The lakes are low not so much from a lack of rain, but rather from too much rain at one time. During Katrina/Rita, the spillways/gates on Lake Livingston were damaged from the rapid influx of water. They still do not have it repaired and it is becoming a huge political nightmare in terms of cost, who will do it, what really needs to be done, etc,... Another fine example of public ownership and government management at work :thumb: Lake Conroe suffered a similar fate and is also exceptionally low right now. For property owner on the lakes, this gets real expensive as the retaining walls and bulkheads pull away from the shore and are damaged. My neighbor ought to love it though, he builds/repairs them for a living, hehe.

Tourmeister said:
:tab Are you like a dysfunctional janitor wannabe :brainsnap :lol2:

HAHA... Yes, definately an unnatural infatuation with toilets.:huh:

Last edited:
no bridge pictures -10 points:thumbd:
no grave yard pictures - 10 points:thumbd:
no train pictures -10:thumbd:
no old delapidated building picture -10 points:thumbd:
picture of good lookin' lady tolerating your picture taking +50 points:thumb:
0 points for tiolets:haha:
+100 points for getting in 770 miles while I built a storage building during a most butte-e-full day.
Thanks for the report, BTW that one magazine says NO BMW. :rofl:

Awesome report! Can't wait to see what you come up with for longer trips.

So everyone is on notice now... if you are expecting Oldbmw to show up at your place... CLEAN YOUR BATHROOM!!

Maybe he should to a Bathrooms of Texas Tour? ;-) Scares me just thinking about it :-|

Tourmeister said:
Maybe he should to a Bathrooms of Texas Tour? ;-) Scares me just thinking about it :-|
Could be the beginning of a new special interest section here. ;-)

That was an entertaining report, oldbmw. Add 10 points for originality. :thumb:

I'm looking to smuggle in a 10" (center drain depth to back wall) 1.6 GPM new toilet for our music studio/apartment, but TX won't allow anyone to ship or sell me one. They want only 1.2 gpm units coming into the state. Dang, seeing all these real deal toilet pics got me upset. I figured I would not be too far off topic with this post in the thread.

I'm looking to smuggle in a 10" (center drain depth to back wall) 1.6 GPM new toilet for our music studio/apartment, but TX won't allow anyone to ship or sell me one. They want only 1.2 gpm units coming into the state. Dang, seeing all these real deal toilet pics got me upset. I figured I would not be too far off topic with this post in the thread.
Right on. The Texas Toilet adventurer... same rules in near by states I wonder?

Back