• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Weekly Joe Fink Memorial BBQ lunch

Chicken oil Compnay on Friday. We have been there a few times. It’s always good.

Attachments

• D1DF94F0-E210-419D-A599-91ECE49F025D.png
    D1DF94F0-E210-419D-A599-91ECE49F025D.png
    718.6 KB · Views: 91
I’d brave the heat for these guys but I have to cover call for work so I can’t be that far away that long. It may take a few weeks before I get a Friday lunch pass. Yes I the meantime y’all eat a bite for me.

The heat is no biggie, just like cold, all part of riding. Dress accordingly, maybe stop an extra time or 2 to cool off.

The heat is no biggie, just like cold, all part of riding. Dress accordingly, maybe stop an extra time or 2 to cool off.

I wish that were true for me. The last couple times I went out in it I ended up with nasty headaches those evenings. And before you ask, yes I was hydrated. 3L of water/Gatorade mix concerned each time. Seems I just don't tolerate the heat. Cold, on the other hand, is no problem I'll happily ride when it's 40° out.

I wish that were true for me. The last couple times I went out in it I ended up with nasty headaches those evenings. And before you ask, yes I was hydrated. 3L of water/Gatorade mix concerned each time. Seems I just don't tolerate the heat. Cold, on the other hand, is no problem I'll happily ride when it's 40° out.

Gatorade dehydrates me. I drank a quart between loops at SHNF once and first time of my life was affected by the heat.

Gatorade dehydrates me. I drank a quart between loops at SHNF once and first time of my life was affected by the heat.

It's always worked for me. Got started on it when I worked outside years ago. I used to be a bit more adjusted to the heat then. I spend too much time in the air con now. Maybe I'll try water next time.

It's always worked for me. Got started on it when I worked outside years ago. I used to be a bit more adjusted to the heat then. I spend too much time in the air con now. Maybe I'll try water next
We ride single track for hour and half to 2 hours. I don't even carry water.

pedialyte seems to help some folks. I drink Body Armor. I think you need more than water to replenish.

You can't hydrate while you are in the heat so the gatorade was not the culprit. The lack of hydration in the days leading up to your ride was. If it's hot and you're sweating profusely, you're losing more than your body can absorb. If you don't hydrate in the days prior to your ride you could run into a heat related problem.

You can't hydrate while you are in the heat so the gatorade was not the culprit. The lack of hydration in the days leading up to your ride was. If it's hot and you're sweating profusely, you're losing more than your body can absorb. If you don't hydrate in the days prior to your ride you could run into a heat related problem.
This. Trying to hydrated the day of just won't cut it.
Also, if it is not real humid and/or you have good ventilation, you could be sweating a lot more than you realize.

Most walk around in a state of mild dehydration to start off with.

For a 1/2 day ride, you may get by with drinking a lot while riding, but if a multi day trip, you need to start hydrating a few days before.

Skin temperature is 92F and if the air temperature is higher than that getting rid of body heat becomes very difficult.

To carry heat away there must be a cooler place for it to move to. There was some university study done some years back that demonstrated how air temps of 93F and above are nearly impossible for an athlete to shed body heat.

There will be a scattering of Joe Fink's ashes on September 11th by his wife and family. It will take place in the Carbondale/Marble area of Colorado. Lodging in the area is limited and not cheap. However there are a couple of campgrounds in the area such as Bogan Flats Campground and places in the Redstone area. The time and exact places will not be finalized until the 10th when his wife Lori scouts the area.

There will be a scattering of Joe Fink's ashes on September 11th by his wife and family. It will take place in the Carbondale/Marble area of Colorado. Lodging in the area is limited and not cheap. However there are a couple of campgrounds in the area such as Bogan Flats Campground and places in the Redstone area. The time and exact places will not be finalized until the 10th when his wife Lori scouts the area.

That's all fine and good, but it's not like anyone can really go. Of course, that's probably intentional. We've all been kept in the dark all along. Really disappointing that there's never been a memorial for everyone to get together.

My wife and I will be there staying in a place in Redstone. Joe and I camped several times at Bogan Flats. It's very doable.

Thanks for posting up Chuck. I think of Joe often and smile to myself as I see his smile in my mind’s eye.

That's all fine and good, but it's not like anyone can really go. Of course, that's probably intentional. We've all been kept in the dark all along. Really disappointing that there's never been a memorial for everyone to get together.
That's pretty harsh and pretty sure not true. With covid, it's been a strange year. Possible that Joe didn't want a big deal made of his passing.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this Chuck. I`ll never forget the time I spent with You and Joe at the River Inn . I can`t think of a better excuse to go to Colorado. .

I've always thought that a group ride and get together at The River Inn would be the perfect way to celebrate Joe's life. That or any other event by TWT friends doesn't require family input. Just somebody to take the reins and schedule it.

Back